New tweeter compared to others like the Raven, Heil, others?

cab

Wondering how the new RM/x tweeter compares to other lauded tweeters, like the raven, heil, etc.? Any one have any comments?

Thanks...

fredgarvin

tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2003, 01:09 pm »
I'd say the tweeter that is hot right now is the Vifa ring radiator. New speaker models featuring the Vifa are popping up constantly. I saw a pic of the new Von Schweikert vr4 se and it looked like the new tweeter there is the Vifa as well.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
domes
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2003, 04:34 pm »
"Hot" tweeters indeed.  Moving mass of a softdome or ring radiator is 2-4 g.  Our new free-swinging ribbon is 13 milligrams with outstanding linearity and a very sweet tonal character.  Typical dome sensitivity is 90-93 dB.  Our new tweeter is 96dB.  The design is similar to the Raven with improved magnetics and lower moving mass.  The Heil does not compete.

Q

Re: domes
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2003, 04:25 pm »
I use the Raven R2 in my custom speakers (see e-speakers.com) and they are crossed at 5kHz.  When driven hard they undulate like a leaf on a tree!  I wonder how the new VMPS tweeter will work crossed at 7k?  

Personally I thot the spirals sounded better than my Ravens when I listened to the RM40s.  That may have something to do with x-over points/slopes/and sources.  Also, the spirals at least have vertical dispersion....I know the raven is very flat and wide...so dont plan on standing to hear any treble.  

Quote from: Brian Cheney
"Hot" tweeters indeed.  Moving mass of a softdome or ring radiator is 2-4 g.  Our new free-swinging ribbon is 13 milligrams with outstanding linearity and a very sweet tonal character.  Typical dome sensitivity is 90-93 dB.  Our new tweeter is 96dB.  The design is similar to the Raven with improved magnetics and lower moving mass.  The Heil does not compete.
:?:

Rocket

raven tweeters
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2003, 09:04 am »
hello q,

i've heard the raven 2 many times and it is a great tweeter.  what are the other drivers your using in your speaker?  did you design the xover yourself?

my speakers are custom built using the raven 1 tweeter mtm with 2 x 7inch focal drivers.  if the vmps tweeter is better then i'm impressed.  i've been very happy with the raven tweeter.  have you torn any of the ribbons yet?

regards

rod

Q

Re: raven tweeters
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2003, 01:03 pm »
I'm using twin PHL 1240 they are special 16ohm 6.5" drivers....pretty new for PHL. See http://www.e-speakers.com/products/phl-mid-woofers.html
 I was told it is one of the few midbass drivers that can reach 5kHz well (which is the xover freq). They arent bad, but between my cabinet and the drivers, I cant seem to get rid of some resonance in the ~250Hz range and there is also a peak in the upper mid.  I did not design the crossover.  It is a kit directly from E-speakers.com via Andre Perrault.  He is great to work with and very helpful.  I did build the cabinets from 1"MDF/oak veneer.  I have not torn ribbons, but three of them have just flattened out suddenly for no apparent reason.  Man is that a pain in the ... replacing a ribbon!!!  At least it is something one can tackle by themselves as tough as it is.  
I think part of the VMPS RM40 success is how high the mids are crossed.  
I assume your R1 is crossed rather high, and that typically leads to beaming of the upper mids.  And thats really something i didnt notice with the RM40.
Quote from: Rocket
hello q,

i've heard the raven 2 many times and it is a great tweeter.  what are the other drivers your using in your speaker?  did you design the xover yourself?

my speakers are custom built using the raven 1 tweeter mtm with 2 x 7inch focal drivers.  if the vmps tweeter is better then i'm impressed.  i've been very happy with the raven tweeter.  have you torn any of the ribbons yet?

regards

rod

Rocket

now i'm impressed
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2003, 12:49 am »
hello,

pat at war audio has designed an mtm speaker using raven 2 and 2x phl 1240 drivers in an mtm configuration it is one of the best speakers i've heard.

i haven't heard any beaming with the tweeter i find it much better than the focal tweeters i've compared it to.  the designer did have to redesign my xover has i kept tearing ribbons, luckily i haven't torn one for 12 months now.

anyway happy listening.

regards

rod