Can you recommend a single driver full range speaker <$3000?

cliffy

Re: Can you recommend a single driver full range speaker <$3000?
« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2008, 01:40 am »
Carolina Audio (www.carolinaaudio.com) makes single driver speakers (both floorstanding and bookshelf) using the Jordan JX92s drivers.

They have 3 models that are less than $3000. 

Give Ronnie a call at 843-552-1326.  He is a great 'good-ol-boy' who loves to talk audio.

I have a pair of older two-ways that I bought from Ronnie as a kit 5 years ago.  They still sound great.

Happy listening!

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2008, 07:08 am »
I'll put in a vote for Alnico Omega's too. Love the Super Hemps with 2 Deep Hemps.

I'm sure $3k would get you something fantastic from Louis. Call him :)

toobluvr

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2008, 04:35 pm »
Sunny Cable H2w10

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1232239085&/Sunny-Cable-H2w10-Demo-Speaker

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak101007.shtml

It is a midrange horn coupled to a large and fast woofer, so while it is technically not a single driver speaker, in terms of coherency and integration it sure sounds like one!  And it's better in terms of resolution, dynamics, scale, ease, refinement and extension.

Incredible speaker, and one of the best I have ever heard regardless of price.....and I have heard many!

I have heard Jordan and Fostek based speakers, and while they are nice, the Sunny is in a whole different league altogether.  This pair is bit over your budget, but if you can swing it, I can't imagine beating it for the price.  Heck, even at its list price, there aren't many that can beat it, even at multiples more...at least for my taste.

Good luck in your search.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2008, 06:20 pm »
Given that you liked quite a bit about your Horns, have you considered the Model 2's or even Model 3's? While they wouldn't be technically single drivers...they still have no crossover and it's all the same driver. I haven't heard them yet, but there are many comments that they sound like the Horns, only bigger/more dynamic/more bass.

Ed's forum on here had a falling out of some sort, so check www.thehornshoppe.com

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2008, 10:38 pm »
Having owned hornshoppe horns in the past I've not found a speaker with the coherency and enjoyment I had with them. I have a 17x24 room and looking under $3000. I've considered WLM, Zu, Omega. Experienced suggestions are appreciated!

Hi schw06,

While the WLM and Zu speakers are excellent speakers, they are not single driver designs as miklorsmith pointed out.  The WLM Diva range looks like a single driver speaker, but it is a coaxial driver (the tweeter is behind the dust cap of the main driver).   

Omega offers very nice single driver loudspeakers.  Those LamHorns that were linked to are also awesome, but I don't think the seller will drop the price another $2000.  If he does, GRAB 'EM!  8)

Best regards,

Vinnie

MAC - SteveH

• Industry Participant
    • My Audio Cables
« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2008, 11:07 pm »
I highly recommend the Brines Acoustics FT-1600 MkII's for $1100. plus shipping.

They're an amazing single driver speaker that is dynamic, extended, wonderful soundstage and detailed.

Here's a link to Bob's site -

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/

Bemopti123

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2008, 11:15 pm »
I more than second Steve's suggestion on a Bob Brines designed loudspeaker.  I have the FTA-2000s with those overbuilt Fostex F200A Alnico drivers.  Their frequency is extremely flat and yet, I guess due to the Alnico component is has this robust sound that is very uncanny from many single fullrange drive speaker (many are very tizzy sounding that are midrangey.)  For me the midrangey quality of single fullrange drivers is extremely fatiguing.  The Brines designs are NEVER fatiguing.  All in all, one of the greatest bargains out there.  I doubt he makes much if any money from his speakers.  His cabinets are overbuilt. 

toobluvr

« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2008, 11:44 pm »
I highly recommend the Brines Acoustics FT-1600 MkII's for $1100. plus shipping.

They're an amazing single driver speaker that is dynamic, extended, wonderful soundstage and detailed.

Here's a link to Bob's site -

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/

My girlfriend has a pair of these, so I have spent many many hours listening to them.  They are indeed very very good for the money.  Shockingly rich and robust sound from just a single and smallish driver.
Nice speaker!

:thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2008, 05:12 pm »
As the comissioner for Bob Brines FTA-2000 I'll 2nd Bemo's recommendation.  No need for a sub with music, no thin sound what so ever.  Images like a champ.  The transmission line provides tight, musical bass and redirects rear reflections away from coming back out through the cone (reducing midrange smearing).  Very well built, extremely high value.

Bob's Lowther based designs are about the same price, have nearly as much bass, but are more efficient.

toobluvr

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2008, 07:26 pm »
I heard "The Ridge" at Audio 202 in Far Hills, NJ.  Like the Carolina speaker mentioned above, it too is a Jordan JX92S based system, and is priced well within your budget.   

See details and reviews here:

http://www.robyattaudio.com/Ridge.htm

It is good, good, good!
Did I say it is good?!
 :lol:

Sound was very coherent, transparent and detailed, yet still rich, smooth and musical.  The soundstage was huge and I was stunned at how well it filled up that very large and high-ceilinged room without getting thin and brittle.  Big sound from such a small package!   I love this speaker, and think it is very reasonably priced for the performance.

Mijknarf

« Reply #30 on: 6 Dec 2008, 01:00 pm »
Another plug for Bob Brines.  I have a pair of his ML TL Lowther designs, the LT-2000 with a Lowther DX-3 driver.  Like others who have commented here about Bob's speakers, solid, robust cabinet designs, mine weigh over 70 pounds a piece.  I have no need for a sub with these.  Lows reach down to the mid 30Hz range with mids to die for and highs that (to me) are crystal clear.  I would suggest contacting Bob and discussing your needs.  He has several designs and he will steer you straight.  Good luck with your journey!

rodge827

« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2008, 03:02 pm »
Looks like George is unloading his Omega's. He is asking a little over your budget, but but well worth the stretch IMHO.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62413.msg561070;topicseen#new

Chris

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #32 on: 6 Dec 2008, 10:50 pm »
Those LamHorns that were linked to are also awesome, but I don't think the seller will drop the price another $2000.  If he does, GRAB 'EM!  8)

The seller *would* have to be a bit silly to do that, wouldn't he?  :D

One thing is for sure, when the Lamhorns are gone, they will be missed.  They are not perfect (no speaker is), but at the things they excel at, they are darn hard to beat!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:52 pm »
Looks like George is unloading his Omega's. He is asking a little over your budget, but but well worth the stretch IMHO.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62413.msg561070;topicseen#new

Chris

Thanks Chris.

It was a tough decision putting them up for sale, but it is time to stop looking like an audio store.

George

rjbond3rd

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2008, 04:10 pm »
Hi guys, I also second Bob Brines' models.  I heard them all at Lone Star Audio Fest, including the FT-1600 MkII (6-inch driver) which was my favorite. 

I ended up getting the LT-2000 (8-inch driver) which has the advantage that you can swap drivers, e.g. try various inexpensive Fostex or go up to various Lowthers based on what you like.  I'm happy with the FE208-Sigma but it's nice that there's an upgrade/downgrade path for future tweakability.