$6,000 system from scratch help me brainstorm......

Gopher

Re: $6,000 system from scratch help me brainstorm......
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:36 am »
You can build a really nice rig with that cash...  Are we assuming new only or is used cool?

Speakers: zu soul superflys or Devore gibbon 8s (pair is on agonizing for 2500 obo now)
Amplifier: declare torii or Redgum rgi120 (both competent integrateds)
Source: upcoming eastern electric minimax plus (will do high res by usb)
Cables:  wywire USB litespeed, wywire juice (2 pieces), zu mission RCA interconnect.

Your Mac will be your music server.  Depending on how good your deals are on other components get a proper speaker cable.  I love whalers but that may not be doable in budget.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jul 2011, 09:42 pm »
$6K really does buy a nice spread these days...especially if you have your front end covered already 

Both vinyl and tubes are an integral part of my favored listening experience today so I'm largely out on advice except to say enjoy whatever you end up with :thumb:

John (still happily 'homeless', btw :wink:)

TONEPUB

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2011, 11:36 pm »
I'd buy a used Simaudio i7 and a pair of Magnepan 1.7's  or perhaps a pair of used Dynaudio Confidence C1's.  You might not be able to buy the sim and the C1's for 6k though.

But you should be able to find an i7 for $4000 if you look closely.

That's what I'd spend 6k on...

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2011, 12:10 am »
Doesn't "$6k for everything else" include a DAC? What about cables, room treatment, etc?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:27 am »
For your budget, the desire to keep things simple, and a room that's on the smaller side of things, I have a very simple solution...

Naim Uniti
Totem Arro or Vandersteen 1 or 2

In your situation, the only thing I'd be contemplating is which of those speakers worked best in my room.   But that's just me.  The Naim Uniti is an absurdly good sounding and functional product.  If you've heard a Nait 5i-2 and CD5i-2, you've heard a Uniti.

I've got a Bryston B60R, Rega DAC, Apple TV 1, and Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelves.  Sounds awesome, and Audiogon saved me quite a bit of cash on the B60 and Yaras.  I listen to a lot of what you listen to, and I value PRaT and cohesiveness over a lot of the hifi stuff.  Fortunately, I haven't compromised too much on the hifi stuff with my system and still got all the PRaT and cohesiveness I could ever ask for. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:34 am »
Doesn't "$6k for everything else" include a DAC? What about cables, room treatment, etc?

Thought he mentioned that he only needed an amp and speakers.

TONEPUB

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:40 am »
So to be more specific, I guess....

Used CJ PV-12 preamp            $800
Used Nakamichi PA-7 amp       $700
New  Rega DAC                     $1000
Used Magnepan 1.6's              $1200 
Cable from Audio Art              $500
Some GIK panels,etc              $600
New RSA Elgar PLC               $1000

total                                   $5800

Stu Pitt

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jul 2011, 04:02 am »
Assume a Mac and Grado phones but $6k for everything else.

1. I like integrated amps
2. I like pace, rhythm and detail over slam
5. Small form factors over large.  Read - integrated amps with built in DACs might be cool.

Jeff,

Reading this stuff in his original post, I thought for sure you of all people would say Naim Uniti!

TONEPUB

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jul 2011, 05:21 am »
Another excellent choice!

Uniti Qute and a pair of Harbeth Compact 7's...

Or the Rega DAC and the new Rega BrioR and Compact 7's...

That would be a fun system too.

Personally, I like the sound of the Qute a bit better than the standard Uniti.  A little bit less power but
a bit sweeter sound. Brio R is kind of best of both worlds.

That new Emotiva stuff I reviewed in this issue was really good too.

There's a ton of good choices if you have $6k to spend.

dwk

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jul 2011, 04:56 pm »
Well, when I hear 'integrated' and 'small', my thoughts go to an NHT Xd system. Way under your budget used (~2k seems to be about the a'gon price) leaving lots of room to upgrade the deqx unit that is included if you want, as well as to add a 2nd sub.  Lots of other interesting choices, but might be an interesting variant to look at.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:21 am »
Sorry if I'm sidetracking...

Jeff,

Did you review the Brio R?  Which volume is it in?
I like the Uniti a bit more, as I found it a bit less wall of sound than the Qute. Then again, maybe it had to do with the speakers - Linn Katan and a few others on the Uniti vs N-Sats when I heard the Qute.  I really want to like the N-Sats, but I just can't warm up to them. Great PRaT and boogie factor, but not much else to my ears. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:56 am »
I've never liked any of the Linn speakers for all the same reasons.  Very clinical.

You can read our Brio R review here:

http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/

First full review in the world I believe.  And they are just trickling into NA right now.
Great amp!

morganc

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jul 2011, 05:09 pm »
Here is what I would go for:
Zu Superfly:  very intimate,great dynamics, sounds great in a small room.  good detail, but far from clinical.
Decware Tori or Mini Torii
Dodd Tube Buffer

If you need a DAC, then a dB Labs Tranquility (if you need USB) or EE DAC (non USB)
Throw in a Majik or Uber Buss and you will have a great system for your price tag. 

You can find many of these used for great prices, and Zu sells B Stock on EBay. 

chrisby

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:28 pm »
a new player in the category of DACs for use with MacMini

certainly appealing from an aesthetic point of view, and not priced too silly high.

http://www.centrance.com/products/dacmini/

that just leaves choice of speakers, which will of course be the easiest decision of all   :icon_lol: 

oh yeah,  and interconnects, etc  - no controversy there either  :duh:

srb

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:51 pm »
a new player in the category of DACs for use with MacMini
certainly appealing from an aesthetic point of view, and not priced too silly high.
http://www.centrance.com/products/dacmini/

It's nice that it is a physical match to the mini, but I would also be interested in the expected-to-ship on August 31 Schiit Bifrost, which will do 24/192 over USB and is $350 cheaper.

http://schiit.com/news/63011-schiit-announces-bifrost-dac/

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96140.0

Steve

chrisby

« Reply #35 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:05 pm »

It's nice that it is a physical match to the mini, but I would also be interested in the expected-to-ship on August 31 Schiit Bifrost, which will do 24/192 over USB and is $350 cheaper.

http://schiit.com/news/63011-schiit-announces-bifrost-dac/

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96140.0

Steve

almost an embarrassment of riches in this price / product category - too much good schiit to choose from?

c'mon,  they had to know how much fun we'd have with that name  :thumb:

Try as I might over the past 45yrs, I've never been much of a headphone fan, so I'd be happy to avoid the cost of that extra function built into a lot of these little enhanced DACs, but the aesthetics of the CE device is kinda appealing.

Of course until Apple's industrial designers decide on a new form factor.

advanced101

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2011, 01:11 pm »
If I were to build a small system for 6k, these are the options that I would consider:  Speakers are going to give you the biggest benefit in overall sound (next to the room)

Cables: Anti-cable for ICs and Speaker wire, Blue Jean Cable, Signal Cable ($500 max on cables, In this level of components I think your money is better spent on the components and not the cables IMHO)
Speakers: Salk HT1-TL (Floorstanding but still small), Devore Super 8s, Odyssey Kismet Reference, Salk HT2 (Monitors), Usher BE-718, Totem Forest
DAC: Cambridge Audio DAC Magic
Amp-Int: Cambridge Audio 740A, AVA Insight+

Thats all around 6-6.5k depending on which components you choose and deals that you can get, etc.

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jul 2011, 01:47 pm »
Going by your listening tastes, which sounds a lot like mine, these are the items to lisyen to.

Anthony Gallo Stradas with stands $2475(I know a dealer that will give 25% off, pm me)

Pick a sub or two of your choice-$500-1000

Virtue Audio Sensation integrated with Dodd tube buffer-$1298

This will get you under 5K which you can add cables or another Dac. Run the Sensation on battery and the 80HZ filter setting and you will have a huge giant killer of a system. As for tonality, nothing out there at any price will beat it from 1K Hz on up, no other speaker system will out image this. This will get you as good a mid-range as any other speaker system. I have heard better bass, but you will have to give up a lot for better bass.

Read everything you can find on the Stradas on 6moons. These speakers are actually better than what they said. Even beats the Zu Essence, 6moons reports.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2011, 08:30 pm by OzarkTom »