Cartridges choices for the Amadeus

threadkiller

Re: Cartridges choices for the Amadeus
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:15 pm »
Very much, yet also not in his price range. :(

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:19 pm »
Treadkiller, I assume you are referring to my EMT comment? Yeah, didn't have time to look and see where the price points start for the EMT line...

threadkiller

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:25 pm »
$1895, I think. 
Mick, there is a Cartridge Man for $1195 that is very musical.
Still might be a stretch.

vortrex

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:22 pm »
I'm going to send him my A23 SUT to try out.  for me, SUT is the only way.

threadkiller

« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:38 pm »
Now that's the nicest post I've seen on here...
Yet with what cartridge?

vortrex

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm »
Now that's the nicest post I've seen on here...
Yet with what cartridge?

sounds like he picked up a 103R.

ncblue

« Reply #26 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:13 am »
I have a bent cantilever on my Zu DL-103 which is my backup cartridge. I was either going to send it to Soundsmith or buy a new one from Zu. What do y'all think?
 Also want to try out a SUT this summer, although the Zu and Koetsu sound great through the Modwright LS-100s phono stage, it might be a fun experiment.

Also is it possible to order the Amadeus with the LTD arm? I really like the black finish, but thought having the cueing device might be nice.

threadkiller

« Reply #27 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:19 am »
Great!  For the money an excellent combo.

Hi blue...
I'm not getting into another Soundsmith ordeal.  Lol.

Don't think you can mix arms- different sized holes.
You can add a cueing lift to an Amadeus arm.  It's not talked about much, yet it's an option.
Talk to your dealer.

ncblue

« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:24 am »
Thanks Threadkiller.
I'm sure I would get used to cueing by hand. But a bit nerve-racking with a $5000 cartridge!

threadkiller

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:58 am »
Understood, blue. Yet I do that everyday!
Sometimes over and over.  It's not like conventional arms... there's not a sudden drop or sway.
I feel very safe. I've had my XV1s long enough to have it factory rebuilt.
No WTL arm has ever harmed it.
Go for the Amadeus! 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:44 am »
I have a bent cantilever on my Zu DL-103 which is my backup cartridge. I was either going to send it to Soundsmith or buy a new one from Zu. What do y'all think?

Soundsmith is a Denon dealer and does extensive modifications to them.  If you just want a new alum cantilever, you can get a tapered one with a nude elliptical (an upgrade IMO) for $150. If you want a ruby/LC or OCLC (micro type), they're 250 and 350 respectively. Soundsmith does nice work.  He put a new OCLC tip on my Genesis 1000.  Because that one has a boron tube cantilever, he just changed the tip.
http://www.sound-smith.com/denon/index.html

I believe Soundsmith also rebuilds/repairs some carts, but it would probably depend on the cart and the problem.  If someone needs a rebuild, carts can be sent to VDH.  In the US, you have to go through a VDH dealer, or the distributor if no local dealer.

There's a new retipping service in Washington state. I've heard they do good work.  You'll find their ad on US Audiomart in the cartridge classifieds. 

I wouldn't characterize Peter Lederman's work as slapping on a generic cantilever. Maybe his selection of cantilevers/tips isn't extensive, but many 103 users have tried ruby cantilevers and are pleased with results. I don't really know if you'd trade off any musicality for the added resolution, but that's another question. A more rigid cantilever usually makes a hugh difference if it compliments the voicing of the cart. In this case I think it would be much more detailed and probably slightly more forward. If that doesn't appeal to you, maybe you should stick with aluminum.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:55 am »
Nice discussion for us needy bros on the sidelines.  I'm giving thought to sending off a Koetsu Black with a slightly mis-angled cantilever.  Any thoughts?  Any experience?  Thank you.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:18 am »
Nice discussion for us needy bros on the sidelines.  I'm giving thought to sending off a Koetsu Black with a slightly mis-angled cantilever.  Any thoughts?  Any experience?  Thank you.

If slightly mis-angled means going off the one side slightly, see if you can correct it yourself. Align the cart to the body and compensate with anti-skate. You might be able to re-center it.  If that doesn't work or the cart came that way from the factory, align to the cantilever. This is the most popular solution, but IMO it's better to have the cantilever physically in-line with the coils. If you need a new tip you should probably stick with the boron that's on there. Putting a new tip on an existing cantilever is more exacting and costs $450 at Soundsmith.
neo

Scottdazzle

« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:27 am »
Jim, a misaligned cantilever is worrisome. Peter at Soundsmith could recommend whether it would be better to reseat it or replace it with a new cantilever and stylus. He has more than enough business and I'd trust him to tell you the truth.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #34 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:19 pm »
Thanks Threadkiller.
I'm sure I would get used to cueing by hand. But a bit nerve-racking with a $5000 cartridge!

Hard to believe that Amadeus has no cueing.  Even with the pivot in a well full of silicon goo, it's certainly a user unfriendly omission.  What if someone has a handicap and their hands shake, look elsewhere for a table?  Would a cueing device somehow compromise performance?
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:39 pm »
Jim, a misaligned cantilever is worrisome. Peter at Soundsmith could recommend whether it would be better to reseat it or replace it with a new cantilever and stylus. He has more than enough business and I'd trust him to tell you the truth.

That depends on what slightly misaligned means.  Peter doesn't have boron cantilevers so replacement would involve changing to ruby or sending it elsewhere.  I'm not saying Peter is dishonest.  In my experience he's completely honest and does nice work, but a ruby cantilever isn't always the best choice, depending on the cart.

If the cantilever is slightly off to one side, there are 2 likely scenarios causing it.

My apologies to Well Tempered circle.  This is off topic and should be continued over at vinyl circle.
neo

vortrex

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:07 pm »
Hard to believe that Amadeus has no cueing.  Even with the pivot in a well full of silicon goo, it's certainly a user unfriendly omission.  What if someone has a handicap and their hands shake, look elsewhere for a table?  Would a cueing device somehow compromise performance?
neo

I have very shaky hands, especially when try to concentrate on something.  this was a big concern before I got my amadeus.  it's been no problem at all though.  I used it with the finger lift mounted at first, but that is even gone now.  there is a standard cue mechanism that is an option.

threadkiller

« Reply #37 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:59 pm »
Good to hear. I know of a man with Parkinson's who does quite well with his, so user evidence should qualm most fears. 
Still, like any other table/arm combo, items like Swifters and their ilk are what trashes cartridges, or drunk party guests.

mick wolfe

« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2013, 07:03 pm »
I'm going to send him my A23 SUT to try out.  for me, SUT is the only way.

Yes, I want to thank vortrex again for this extremely generous offer. The cart. I bought was indeed the Denon 103R. Thanks to vortrex, this turns into a fairly inexpensive experiment as I bought the 103 used. ( but in good shape) Now, on the other hand, this changes a bit if I really like the 103/Aud 23 combo. List on the 23 SUT is $995, but still the total is not much over budget all considered.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2013, 07:22 pm »
Scott and Neo, I belong to my local Audio Society and have an opportunity to buy a replacement for $350.00.  Plus, my friend has a later, lower output version that he might part with for slightly more as he isn't using it either.  That's my best course, I believe.  But, I recognize your thoughtful advice and thank you.  Won't be much longer and I'll have that bad boy in a Sumiko Premier MMT high mass arm on my old Micro Seiki BL91 belt drive with it's massive deck and platter (example picture below).  Cheers.

ps- Any advice is appreciated.