Subsonic's NX-Treme build (and an alternative to Heatlock Glue)

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
Beautiful shop and amazing work. Look incredible!!!

subsonic1050

Beautiful shop and amazing work. Look incredible!!!

Thanks Killian - much appreciated!

I got most of my components on Saturday. Unfortunately UPS decided to drop kick my boxes all over the place on the way. Both boxes were badly damaged, but one was so badly damaged that half of the components simply fell out of it in transit. Fortunately, despite the damage, the other box still had everything and seems to be ok. I spoke with Danny yesterday and as expected his customer service was fantastic. I emailed GR Research a bunch of pictures of the packaging and some damage. They are filing a claim with UPS but they are going to send me out replacement parts right away. With all the delays and unexpected issues in the world right now it is very nice to do business with a company that takes care of its customers.

I am missing a bunch of parts for the 2nd set of nxtremes, but fortunately I have everything I need for the first set. I got all the drivers installed and wired up. This was much easier than I expected. As long as you tin the terminals before installing the drivers it is not difficult to solder the wires inside the cabinet. You can even use the holes in the braces to your advantage when soldering.

I also got one of the crossovers done (just have to finish the 2nd tube connector), but I'm leaving for vacation for a week today and ran out of time to finish the 2nd one. As soon as I get back from vacation I'll have about 5 hours of work to get the first pair up and running. Can't wait to hear them! I plan to take measurements immediately and see if they change after break in. I couldn't believe the transformation on the x-statiks.

mkrawcz

Oh my god, nice work on those!

hawkeyejw

They look incredible! Looking forward to your listening impressions.

NoahH

Looking great!

Did you put the bypass cap in the middle of the 4 bigger caps? I was thinking about doing that, and it kinda looks like you did, but resolution is too low to tell

subsonic1050

Thanks gentlemen- much appreciated!

Noah - yes, that's exactly what I did. The bypass cap was very slightly too large to fit perfectly, but I hot glued everything together and it worked great. The leads on that bypass cap are a little short, and putting it in the middle gave me the most wire to twist.

NoahH

Thanks for the info. I went through exactly the same thoughts on the leads, so it is great to know this works. My baffles just shipped, so excited to get to start soon myself!