Class D versus the rest

OzarkTom

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #160 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:10 am »

Impressive is all the endorsements from people who previously found themselves in each of these camps. Not just those from only one or two of these camps.

The endorcements are impressive. Before the net, the only info all of us dealers had to rely on was the review mags. It is funny how they all agreed that Krell was so great, a total game changer. What a disappointment that company turned out to be.

But I had customers that had to have it no matter what. They had to have it to impress their friends and fellow co-workers.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #161 on: 28 Apr 2012, 05:22 am »

Russell Dawkins

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #162 on: 28 Apr 2012, 05:57 am »
Amps, mine are Marantz model 9's.  Mine are only 15 years old as they are the Limited Edition reissues that sold out immediately.  I haven't found any other Amps that will hold a candle to them at any price.  Some things just can't be improved upon.

Your lack of character is manifesting itself and will not win you any friends around here.  Maybe it is you who needs to check out or earn a time out.

Jim

Jim, I would ask you not to speak on my behalf. I find your attitude very annoying and self righteous and not representative of mine.

"Some things cannot be improved upon", indeed!

By contrast with yours, especially, I find Cab's posts rational, measured and to the point. He obviously has some experience, too, but this is yet another detail that seems to have escaped your attention.

Excuse me for being so blunt but I think you richly deserve it.

acousticimagery

• Industry Participant
    • ACOUSTICIMAGERY
« Reply #163 on: 28 Apr 2012, 07:48 am »
Hi Guys

Reading this thread with interest and the 'anti Class D's' are quoting information which is years out of date.

I had Martin Colloms sit down in my demo at the National Audio Show 11 last September and he wrote this..... http://www.acousticimagery.com/Hi Fi Critic National Audio Show Blog.pdf    after listening to our power amps which use Hypex UcD400HG+HxR with SMPS400A400 psu !..................

The times, they are a changing........

Sorry all

The link that I posted doesn't seem to work.

Here it is again and the page I was referring to is page 19 almost at the bottom of the article.

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/nas11.pdf

If you read this small acknowledgement that Class D may have some merit then also note that Mr Colloms thinks that Bruno Putzeys developed the Tripath Amps which isn't true..........!

wushuliu

« Reply #164 on: 28 Apr 2012, 08:32 am »
Pfft...Ncore. I'm Classdaudio.com 4 life, son! Granted we're still waiting for Tom to get some actual current info up on his website, but hey, some of us are okay wit 1/3 the awesomeness for 1/3 the price. 

CDA4L Wut Wuut!!!

or woot woot.com!! They have the Dyson bladeless fan for $100, but I digress...

Freo-1

« Reply #165 on: 28 Apr 2012, 11:29 am »
Which proves nothing more than that you know a lot of people with poor hearing....

That easily can go with switching amp supportes as well...your post is not logical...nor accurate

They simply prefer music from an amp that is NOT switching states thousands of times a second...having to filter out all kinds of non acoustic artifacts from the signal.

As an example, a class A amp from Pass Labs does a much cleaner job of reproducing in incoming music signal than any switching amp.  No data on HOW the Ncore switching amp has overcome it operational limitaions has yet been posted.

strider

« Reply #166 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:31 pm »
Pfft...Ncore. I'm Classdaudio.com 4 life, son! Granted we're still waiting for Tom to get some actual current info up on his website, but hey, some of us are okay wit 1/3 the awesomeness for 1/3 the price. 

CDA4L Wut Wuut!!!

or woot woot.com!! They have the Dyson bladeless fan for $100, but I digress...

And the vacuum for $249.95 on woot.vip...

What is the skinny on the ClassD Audio stuff? Haven't seen as much about it on the web lately. They are interesting to me for a couple of reasons, availability and price being the most prominent.

JohnR

« Reply #167 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm »
And the vacuum for $249.95 on woot.vip...

What is the skinny on the ClassD Audio stuff? Haven't seen as much about it on the web lately. They are interesting to me for a couple of reasons, availability and price being the most prominent.

The thread on it here still has activity: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.msg1083182#new

Others now make IRS2092 amp modules as well. Connexelectronic and L15/20/25D amps that you can get on ebay, that I've looked into.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #168 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm »
 For what it is worth for years now we have been very happy with our custom 211 monoblocks. Using Pipedreams a match in heaven.
  Previous to that Maggie 3As and Audio Research, several SS amps with the Maggies. Lived with Class "A" SS and tubed, push pull and other top designs.
   Recently had the experience of hearing the Arion HS 500 hybrid class "D" mono blocks, rated at 500W/ch into 8ohm and 1000W/ch into 4 ohm. No off the shelf B&O module or power supply. All made in house. The Pipedreams and Maggies have never sounded better to us.   These amps have changed the game. So much so we decided to apply for a dealership.

The key to great sound with class "D" is the power supply. Switching power supplies can have issues. The constant switching can make music sound choppy or mechanical. The key is to design a power supply that handles the switching to store the signal and not have the effect of switching. How it is done I'm clueless however the Arions have accomplished that. I believe Levinson has a patent to accomplish this. Have not heard the Levinsons so no comment.
    Every technology has it merrits and faults. It is a trade off. However IMO times are a chagin so keep open eyes and judge for yourself. Couldn't be easier then that. After hearing the Tripath and other inexpensive design efforts we wrote off Class "D" not now.  The Cherries had impressed us so the journey began again a modified Spectron as well through Salks.
  The N-Cores appear to have merrit curious to hear a built one, again very promising for the DIY crowd. One for the Gipper hey.
  This is not meant to be an Ad if perceived that way please remove.

charles

OzarkTom

« Reply #169 on: 28 Apr 2012, 01:18 pm »
So Charles, how did that party go at Jay's house last night?

How did Jays system sound?

Two-channel audio: modified B &W Matrix 802 speakers, McIntosh MC2205 ss amp, Classe DR25 amp (250 wpc), Audio Research LS7 preamp, Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC, Toshiba DVD player used as a transport.

strider

« Reply #170 on: 28 Apr 2012, 01:53 pm »
The thread on it here still has activity: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.msg1083182#new

Others now make IRS2092 amp modules as well. Connexelectronic and L15/20/25D amps that you can get on ebay, that I've looked into.

That's quite a thread!

I've seen Connexelectronic on diyaudio.com, do they have a good reputation?

JohnR

« Reply #171 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:12 pm »
I've seen Connexelectronic on diyaudio.com, do they have a good reputation?

The products seem to, although some patience on delivery times seems required. That's OK with me. I do need to order an SMPS from there so I guess I'll find out. Still working on the design plans wrt amps.

cab

« Reply #172 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:35 pm »
That easily can go with switching amp supportes as well...your post is not logical...nor accurate

They simply prefer music from an amp that is NOT switching states thousands of times a second...having to filter out all kinds of non acoustic artifacts from the signal.

As an example, a class A amp from Pass Labs does a much cleaner job of reproducing in incoming music signal than any switching amp.  No data on HOW the Ncore switching amp has overcome it operational limitaions has yet been posted.

I pay much more attention to the outgoing signal....The high frequency carrier is simply filtered at the output. This is how switching artifacts are removed. Maybe reread the article you cited as it is explained therein. Filters are used in audio all the time- I assume you understand what a crossover is...this is not new and radical technology.

By the way, there have been a half dozen or more reviews comparing the Ncore from Pass users.....bye bye Pass in all cases....

strider

« Reply #173 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:46 pm »
The products seem to, although some patience on delivery times seems required. That's OK with me. I do need to order an SMPS from there so I guess I'll find out. Still working on the design plans wrt amps.

From what I've culled from the various Ncore/Class D threads, the power supply is a point of contention among those debating the merits of class D. Any advice on what to look for in the power supply other then appropriate voltage rating?

For my application, I'd like something in the 250wpc into 4 ohm range, 2 monoblocks as I have matching cases already that I'd like to use.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #174 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:49 pm »
[

cab

« Reply #175 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:00 pm »
Please look at the NC400 data sheet, page 7, and you will see that there are no missing fingers....

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #176 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:09 pm »
[

JohnR

« Reply #177 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:10 pm »
From what I've culled from the various Ncore/Class D threads, the power supply is a point of contention among those debating the merits of class D. Any advice on what to look for in the power supply other then appropriate voltage rating?

No, not really, as I haven't built any yet. I do think SMPS have a lot of advantages. (I suppose that is related to the general topic of this thread.)

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #178 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:22 pm »

Design of the power supply is critical to the design of any amplifier of any class.  If you mean linear versus switch-mode supplies, there can be good and bad implementations of each.

For my application, I'd like something in the 250wpc into 4 ohm range, 2 monoblocks as I have matching cases already that I'd like to use.

So you want to reduce the output of the Ncores, which make 400 watts into 4 ohms, by using a differently power supply?  Unless you are up for experimenting and really know what you are doing, I don't think I'd fuss with different PS implementations.  That said, you almost certainly could run the amps with lower voltages -- and I think I recall the designer discussing that issue somewhere in the DIYaudio thread.  In my view, though, I don't think it makes a lot of sense unless you're up for an adventure. 

JohnR

« Reply #179 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:28 pm »
So you want to reduce the output of the Ncores

He's not talking about NCores. This isn't an NCore-specific thread...