Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #780 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm »
Found the entrance to "the Don", i.e. the Don Valley Park trail here in Downtown Toronto.  Great park and <10mins ride to hit it! 

Levi

« Reply #781 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:28 pm »
It was good to hear from you Josh.  Glad that you are finally settled in.

JoshK

« Reply #782 on: 22 Aug 2011, 02:18 am »
Today I hit the Don again...this time I had gotten a lot further, then I noticed dark clouds moving fastly in.    I was hoping they'd pass by and leave us a nice unatended trail.  I had gotten a few miles in and then i decided I should make it back, it looks like its gonna get ugly, no sooner did I turn about did it start thundering and lightning and torrentual downpours.  Those trails were seriously slippery!   Most of them are on the sides of steep ravines, so a slip could meet a 100' plummet.   I ate s##t twice on the way back, which means I was covered in mud from head to toe.  I also have an aching shoulder, but somehow I loved every minute of it.

Josh

rofo

« Reply #783 on: 22 Aug 2011, 03:50 am »
hay, my moto if you go mountain biking and DON'T come back without any scrapes, bruses or covered in dirt than you haven't had any fun.  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #784 on: 22 Aug 2011, 03:56 pm »
Hey Josh, awesome stuff!  It's great to hear that you are enjoying your new home.  I'm a big fan of Toronto but have never biked there.  Keep us posted and send some pictures!  Also, MTB can be dangerous, be careful and always wear your helmet!  I hurt my shoulder a long time ago on my MTB and it's never been the same.  Good luck!

Cheers,
J

JoshK

« Reply #785 on: 22 Aug 2011, 06:28 pm »
Clay + rain + off camber trails = slippery!  In a couple spots I felt like I was riding on ice. 

One of the times I ate it, I went around a large downhill bermed turn across a narrow wood bridge to another large berm very quick turn.  You get really high on the berm, but I didn't come down off it fast enough and as soon as it straightened out, my tires went and I hit the berm with my shoulder.   My pectoral surpringly is what is sore today. 

JoshK

« Reply #786 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:51 pm »
So I hit the Don again today.  I went twice as far as previous times and it keeps getting more and more interesting.   Its not really a beginner's place, for different reasons than say northern NJ where its hard because of tons of rocks, there are virtually no or very little rocks.  However, it has tons of *very* steep up and down ravines.  The trail is super fast and flowy but pretty technical in terms of steep drops over roots, skinny bridges thrown in spots where you are flying and some pretty techny skinnies here and there. 

I almost went OTB last night as I was riding up a ramp over a log.  I was near the top when I started to go over the edge and dropped >3' front tire first but managed to pull it off.  Then there was a tee in the trail, I took the upper tee and realized that the way out was a 50' almost vertical descent back down to the trail below.  That got my heart pumping. 

This place is a lot different than any place I've been to in NNJ, its hard to describe.  Average speeds are a lot higher.  If you know the trail you can take the easy route, but sometimes you take the hard one out of not knowing any better.   I guess you can always backtrack, but what is the fun in that?

I am loving my 5" FS here.   Not sure I'd want to take out the GF 29'er on these trails. 

Levi

« Reply #787 on: 7 Sep 2011, 02:54 pm »
Hey Josh or anyone who is into Mountain bikes. There is a huge FAT TIRE FESTIVAL happening next week Sept 17, 2011.

Roadies are welcome  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #788 on: 28 Sep 2011, 08:41 pm »
Needless to say, the CLIMB Fat Tire Festival was lots of fun!

Some pictures that I took with my point and shoot camera.

Tricycle race

Grilled foods

Finally, after a long hiatus after a gallbladder surgery, I am back in the saddle again!

jackman

« Reply #789 on: 28 Sep 2011, 11:21 pm »
Levi, thanks for sharing the pictures. It's good to hear you are back in action.  I've been bad and have not been on my bike in weeks.  That's another story!

Cheers
Jack

Levi

« Reply #790 on: 29 Sep 2011, 01:00 am »
Thanks Jack.  I hope you are able to go back to riding again.  Soon!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #791 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:03 am »

Levi

« Reply #792 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:08 am »
Yup.  Saw that the other day.  Lots of hits now.

Wear a good helmet at all times.

Levi

« Reply #793 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:55 am »
Sunday Oct 16:  We could not ask for a perfect day for this once a year event called "Triple Crown".  It is a 65mile ride of road and off-road mtb ride.  We simply hopped from one trail to another in Long Island, New York.  90+ riders and some change.  Pretty good turnout!

Group picture!

JoshK

« Reply #794 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:50 am »
wow, just seeing this.  65 miles off-road is hardcore!  I'd be lucky to do 8 miles.

Love the Don up here.... its not for beginners apparently.   Funny story...  I went out on a date two months back with a girl from Canada.  She said she went to U of British Columbia and was on the downhill mountain biking team.   So I decide to take her out to the Don.  She bites it right off.  Second time OTB on a big steep decline, looks bad but she laughs it off and says she is alright.  Third time she almost went went down the ravine if it weren't for a tree.   Says she is fine, laughs.  Next day I didn't call her because my mom had to go into surgery unexpectedly.  The following day I called her.  I asked how she was, she said, "was home all night, I have bruises all over."   Her attitude was fairly jovial so I joked and said, "you must be an easy bruiser", she replied with, "I need someone more in tune with my feelings, I don't want to see you again."   I just laughed and agreed.  I was seriously laughing.

rofo

« Reply #795 on: 11 Nov 2011, 02:13 am »
come and join us next year. this is an IMBA Epic trail. http://www.torontocyclist.com/bbc/pauls/faqs.html

JoshK

« Reply #796 on: 6 Dec 2011, 03:27 am »
This thread went silent?   The season?

Just got my wheels from Steve...forget him moniker on here, but he is on here...I'll fill in later.   Anyway, he did a very nice job, they look top notch.  Pleasure to deal with.  Really happy with the quality of results.

Wheelset i23 WTB AM rims, CK hubs, Wheelsmith DB 14 spoke, quoted 1850gm rotating weight.... before you judge, these are meant to take a punishment.... I like to jump and take drops.   I am very out of shape, but I am also very aggressive and prefer technical and aggressive riding to fast riding.

Levi

« Reply #797 on: 6 Dec 2011, 05:14 am »
Congrats on the new wheels.  Those AM wheels will last you a lifetime.  :thumb: 

The forum is quiet but the racing action is still happening in the background.  :)

I placed in the top 10 last week's Something Wicked Race.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #798 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:50 am »
Hi Josh,

I'm here, it's always fun bouncing from one forum to another with our various hobbies! My website link is in my profile.

Steve

This thread went silent?   The season?

Just got my wheels from Steve...forget him moniker on here, but he is on here...I'll fill in later.   Anyway, he did a very nice job, they look top notch.  Pleasure to deal with.  Really happy with the quality of results.

Wheelset i23 WTB AM rims, CK hubs, Wheelsmith DB 14 spoke, quoted 1850gm rotating weight.... before you judge, these are meant to take a punishment.... I like to jump and take drops.   I am very out of shape, but I am also very aggressive and prefer technical and aggressive riding to fast riding.

JoshK

« Reply #799 on: 6 Dec 2011, 03:14 pm »
Congrats Levi!  I haven't been out in a few weeks although the weather has been kind enough here.  Sort of an indian summer turned into a temperate fall.  Its been rainy all week, so I am not sure I'd want to go out this weekend.  Wet trails here are treacherous.  Hoping to get in a few rides though before it is brutal cold.