Denon 3910 Tube Mods Now Available - Design Complete!!!

BikeWNC

Re: IT'S HERE!!!
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2005, 12:23 am »
Quote from: merc

OKAY... dumb question time.
I know I plug in the PS 9.0 power supply, but, do I also plug in the Deno ...

On my 2900 with external ps I use a pc on both the player and the external ps.  Now go power that thing up!

Andy

merc

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2005, 12:58 am »
Okay Andy, thanks!
But, ... gonna try it on my headphone setup first.  :)

merc

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2005, 04:35 am »
Okay, okay friends... I know you all want to see inside... , but, until Dan says I can show you, here are a few more external shots of what you get with his new Denon 3910 mod.  :D

Modwright Denon 3910 and PS 9.0SE PS backs showing the umbilical connections
and
Included Revelation Audio Labs Reference Cryo-Silver Umbilical Cord - Standard with every Denon 3910 Mod

Now... back to checking this new unit out..... ;)

Hajime Sato

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2005, 11:37 am »
merc,

I don't mean to rush you, but I've been looking forward to hearing your impressions on Dan's 3910 mod. I'll have a chance to hear it myself at the LA&OC Audio Society meeting this Sunday, but it will be interesting to compare notes.

merc

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2005, 12:13 am »
All I can say so far is that after listening to the unit for less then 100 hours, I have a smile on my face and an idea in my head that this unit is only gonna get even better. And, I haven't yet had a chance to listen to it with the newly arrived Revelation Power cable either... or with the Clock upgrade... so, I can't imagine how much better this can possibly get over what I am hearing now.

One observation, which is immediately noticable to me on my system; the tubed output is much less forward than the stock outputs... and if doing an A/B, you need to make sure you equalize volume for both and then make sure you listen to both for extended periods of time too. With extended listening, you will notice that the non-modwright outputs sound less real, less musical(I really can't think quickly of a better descriptor) and more layered with much better and more natural, tonal decay. If you give it some time with a variety of music, and then switch back to the non-tubed, but volume equalized outputs, you will start to feel like you are listening to a CD, and not the music on it.

I am sorry for the quick impression, but I am on a three week business and vacation tour and as I look out into the French Quarter, sipping some wine and yearning for some etoufee(sp), my ability to properly give the Modwright 3910 its' due is lacking.

I will be back home in a few weeks and then, after about another week of listening, I can give a more complete and hopefully, more understandable opinion of this unit.

Hajime Sato

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2005, 04:09 am »
merc,

Thanks a lot for a write-up from New Orleans. We'll keep the volume equalization in mind when we do a comparison, although I'm afraid we don't have time for extended listening.

Have a great work/vacation. I'm sure you can listen to a lot of great music there. I look forward to your more detailed impression after you come back.