Tempesta, RAAL tweeters, and foam pads

wilsynet

Tempesta, RAAL tweeters, and foam pads
« on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:05 am »
I don't care much for the foam pads I need to put on the RAAL tweeters.  I know this seems like a trivial complaint ...

I understand that a different model of the RAAL tweeter doesn't need the foam pads.  Is it fairly straight forward to get the different tweeters and substitute in place?  Do any other changes need to take place to accomodate the different tweeter?

Alternatively, are there more low profile pads that can be substituted?

Wilson

ricardojoa

Re: Tempesta, RAAL tweeters, and foam pads
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:20 am »
The 70-10 raal doesnt need pads to sound good unless you listen them straight with no crossovers. With the pads, you can tailor the top end roll off. Wonder why the 70-20 dont come with pads.

wilsynet

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:05 am »
Oh, so don't bother with the pads?  No value unless its too hot for me?

ricardojoa

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:09 am »
I believe they have a rising response an with the pads you can attenuted them to a certain point but in system like the tempesta, the rising response is already taken care. Check out Rick measurements.

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:26 am »
ok i see what your problem is, too hot upper hand. Are you sure is the raal and not the acutton. Can you discribe what you are having problem?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:43 am »
Due to the different geometry of the 70-20XR, the rising response is not a problem. 

The 140-15 and 70-10 are both narrow aspect ribbons that will exhibit the rising response.  The pads bring that under control, as well as help to improve the vertical off axis response.

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:36 am »
ok i see what your problem is, too hot upper hand. Are you sure is the raal and not the acutton. Can you discribe what you are having problem?

I don't have a problem, I just put on the foam pads because I thought they were important and necessary.  I just took the pads off and it seems pretty good.  A bit hotter, but it could be my imagination ...

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:25 am »
If your listening height is higher then the tweeter, it can help tone down the upper ends by listening them slightly off vertical axis. The 70-20 may be a better tweeter but in the tempesta doesnt come into play, i think the thinner ribbon might be better to pair with the small acutton.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:33 am »
I don't care much for the foam pads I need to put on the RAAL tweeters.  I know this seems like a trivial complaint ...

I understand that a different model of the RAAL tweeter doesn't need the foam pads.  Is it fairly straight forward to get the different tweeters and substitute in place?  Do any other changes need to take place to accomodate the different tweeter?

Alternatively, are there more low profile pads that can be substituted?

Wilson

The foam pads are used to control the vertical dispersion and flatten out the upper end response. A tweeter change isn't possible because the crossover would need to be changed.

Lower profile pads aren't available; however, you can remove the pads if desired though it will create a rising response from about 7K on up. Depending on your listening height and personal preference of treble balance that might be acceptable.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:46 am »
The 70-10 raal doesnt need pads to sound good unless you listen them straight with no crossovers. With the pads, you can tailor the top end roll off. Wonder why the 70-20 dont come with pads.

The 70-10D is designed to use the pads. The 70-20 was created for manufacturers that wanted to omit the pads for looks. The crossover can be tailored to flatten out the response with no pads; however, the vertical dispersion will still not be quite as good (the pads effectively shorten the length on the ribbon's vertical radiation).

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:48 am »
Due to the different geometry of the 70-20XR, the rising response is not a problem. 

The 140-15 and 70-10 are both narrow aspect ribbons that will exhibit the rising response.  The pads bring that under control, as well as help to improve the vertical off axis response.

It's not so much the geometry but elsewhere in the design of the ribbon.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:49 am »
I don't have a problem, I just put on the foam pads because I thought they were important and necessary.  I just took the pads off and it seems pretty good.  A bit hotter, but it could be my imagination ...

See my earlier post...

ricardojoa

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2013, 03:18 am »
The foam pads are used to control the vertical dispersion and flatten out the upper end response. A tweeter change isn't possible because the crossover would need to be changed.

Lower profile pads aren't available; however, you can remove the pads if desired though it will create a rising response from about 7K on up. Depending on your listening height and personal preference of treble balance that might be acceptable.
t
Rick, are you refering the different vertical off axis response from 5k to 10k on your on your tempesta site, depending on +/-? Or are you refering the particular 5.5 k-8k horizontal axis bump?
I know therer is a rising response from a raw 70-10, but im not clear what rising response you are refering on the tempesta?
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2013, 11:22 am by ricardojoa »

jonbee

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2013, 03:39 am »
Depending on your listening height and personal preference of treble balance that might be acceptable.
Trust your ears on this one, I think. I have always preferred mine w/o the pads. Maybe at my age my top end hearing isn't what it used to be, and the rising high end is a benefit?
Whatever the cause , go with what you like.

wilsynet

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2013, 05:44 am »
Rick, how many "teeth" should the foam pads cover on the top and bottom?  I cover 5 on top and bottom and there are 7 that show in between.  Not sure if that's right or not, I don't remember why I chose it.

vortrex

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:17 am »
the paperwork that comes with the RAAL says 6 or 7 exposed teeth.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2013, 05:33 pm »
t
Rick, are you refering the different vertical off axis response from 5k to 10k on your on your tempesta site, depending on +/-? Or are you refering the particular 5.5 k-8k horizontal axis bump?
I know therer is a rising response from a raw 70-10, but im not clear what rising response you are refering on the tempesta?

What I'm saying is the crossover was designed for flat response with the pads in place. If the pads are removed there's a rise in the response starting about 7K going up to 20K.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:04 am »
Rick, how many "teeth" should the foam pads cover on the top and bottom?  I cover 5 on top and bottom and there are 7 that show in between.  Not sure if that's right or not, I don't remember why I chose it.

That's correct.

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:08 am »
What I'm saying is the crossover was designed for flat response with the pads in place. If the pads are removed there's a rise in the response starting about 7K going up to 20K.

Sorry Rick, i undertand what you are saying. What im confused is, i dont see any rising response you are refering in any of your tempesta graph, horizontal or vertical.  Were the measurement taken with the pads on?  Sorry for the question, im just confused.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:36 am »
Sorry Rick, i undertand what you are saying. What im confused is, i dont see any rising response you are refering in any of your tempesta graph, horizontal or vertical.  Were the measurement taken with the pads on?  Sorry for the question, im just confused.

Yes, measurements taken with th pads on because that's the way I designed the speaker.