Omega Model 7F TL or OB ?

Guy 13

Omega Model 7F TL or OB ?
« on: 13 Sep 2013, 09:36 am »

Hi Louis and all Audio Circle members.
Next year (That sound far away... But it's not !)
when I'm back in my home country Canada,
i will buy your Model 7F because after many hours on the Internet
comparing several extended range drivers specifications
(Dayton PS-220-8/Audio Nirvana/Tang Band...)
your Model 7F look very promising, according to the specifications,
that's the only way for me to choose a driver right now.
My question is:
I just want to buy the driver from you,
because I want to make my own enclosure
(Like many retired audiophiles, my budget is limited.)
Can you suggest a link where I could find a drawing with dimensions for a Transmission Line enclosure, I had in mind the N3 from Danny at GR Research.
In addition, I will be building an open baffle U type configuration,
could your Model 7F  work.
I am now using an Audio Nirvana 8" basic as my first attempt into the wonderful world on crossover less driver, I am satisfied.
The Model 7F will be driven by my Decware SE84C+ SET 2wpc.
Any and all recommendations are welcome.
If you prefer you can e-mail me at: guyleduc@hcm.vnn.vn
Waiting for your comments and suggestions.

Guy 13 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Omega Model 7F TL or OB ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:04 am »
I built a pair of MLTL (Mass Loaded Transmission Lines) back in 1980 from a $500 kit (I. M. Fried, Model M, the monitor version of the famous stereo woofer 'coffin').  They were just for the 8 inch woofers that completed the rest of the speaker (two folds, 6 cu. ft. each, veneering was the downfall of my work).  They were rated to 114 dB at 17 Hz.  They sounded glorious (in a 20,000 cu. ft. chapel, but too big/loud for my house).  So they had to go away   :cry:, but I'm back in the TL game (have been a TL fanboy since the 70's and have owned single driver TL's for 10 years).

I've heard a few OB (Open Baffle).  A very dynamic sound with very non-monitoring imaging (wall of sound).  Easy to try, but need be located a significant distance out from the front wall.  Except for the Hawthorne speakers I've never heard deep bass from OB.  And to be honest, I've never been a fan of the whole dipole (front and rear sound being produced out of phase) concept.  But bipole design that keeps front and back sound in-phase, like some of the Omega speakers, makes total sense to me. 

Hey, why not try building a pair of bipole/TL (back-to-back, or side-by-side) speakers with (4) 7F drivers?  Look into having the rear driver low to even out in-room bass peaks/nulls (ala Duke LeJeune  who used to have a circle here at AC, do a search).
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2013, 11:57 am by JLM »

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2013, 11:43 am »
I built a pair of MLTL back in 1980 from a $500 kit (I. M. Fried, Model M, the monitor version of the famous stereo woofer 'coffin').  They were just for the 8 inch woofers that completed the rest of the speaker (two folds, 6 cu. ft. each, veneering was the downfall of my work).  They were rated to 114 dB at 17 Hz.  They sounded glorious (in a 20,000 cu. ft. chapel, but too big/loud for my house).  So they had to go away.   :cry:
Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
Would you have by chance a picture of those glorious sounding speakers?

Guy 13

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm »
Those Model M's left the house before the divorce or digital cameras.  Besides way too embarrassed to show my veneering (especially against Louis' workmanship).   :oops:

If you search Planet 10's (AC member, search) website I believe he has a link to various designs that would show the 'coffin'.  Fried fanboys would rather call it a coffee table.  It was about 2 ft x 2 ft x 5 ft with two TL/woofers side-by-side, one firing out each end to help integrate with the matching small 2-way 'satellites' (LS3/5a clones) to create 'Bud' Fried's Model H.  I heard it in 1976 and it slowly blew my mind as I contemplated what I'd heard - so natural with spooky imaging compared to the high-end hi-fi (artificial sounding) stuff of the day.  Still in college then but bought those satellites the next summer and bided my time until I could afford/build the bass units.

Years later I talked a friend into buying the kits for the Model C (a truncated pyramid shaped cabinet with TL - very hard to build) that was slightly larger than the satellites I had, but sounded incredible.  IMO the Models C and H were Bud's best designs.

Whatever you do, follow a known design or recipe from a known designer for the drivers you pick (unless you enjoy lots of sawdust, know MathCad inside and out, or just enjoy years of frustration). 

« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2013, 11:01 am by JLM »

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2013, 10:45 am »
Either you are very busy (Which I suspect...) or
my request is not imporant to you :?
Let me know if you are interested in helping me,
so I can purchase your drivers.
No threat here, but I am really interested in your drivers,
but at the same time I am looking at Dayton PS-220-8
and Audio Nirvana.
However, your drivers have better specs
and are lower in price.
Looking for your advice on the enclosure.

Guy 13

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2013, 07:06 pm »
Hi Guy 13,

Very sorry about the late post and it's been quite hectic here. I would be happy to help you out with enclosures for any of my drivers. I really appreciate your support in regards to possibly trying them out. I am sure you will really like the sound.

Please let me know size requirements and what you are looking for and I will draw up a great system for you.

Thanks again,
Louis

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2013, 10:49 am »
Hi Guy 13,

Very sorry about the late post and it's been quite hectic here. I would be happy to help you out with enclosures for any of my drivers. I really appreciate your support in regards to possibly trying them out. I am sure you will really like the sound.

Please let me know size requirements and what you are looking for and I will draw up a great system for you.

Thanks again,
Louis

This is the home I would like to build or get built
for your Omega 5F and 7F.
Floor standing Transmission Line for both models
with front port, no rear port, no room for that.
(Bass reflex is also good, but unless I am wrong,
the transmission line would be able to go lower in frequencies.)
For the 7F (Only) Open baffle, U frame configuration.
For this one I can figure out the dimensions, however,
If possible, I would like to compare your dimensions with mine.
The U frame configuration will be bass supplemented by two Rythmik F12G subwoofers that I already have.
I will buy a pair of 5F and at the same time a pair of 7F.
They will have to be shipped to Canada when I am back there.
All the drivers will be powered by either my Decware SET 2wpc
or my Niteshade Audio SE Pentode 10wpc.
Waiting for your suggestions on Audio Circle
(For the benefit of interested members)
or via a PM at guyleduc@hcm.vnn.vn.
Have a nice day.

Guy 13

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:52 pm »
Hi Guy ,

Very interesting projects and like them all. The most important thing is to have the right driver. I worked on these for a very long time and made them so they can be used in a variety of applications. They all will. I do specialize in BR cabs and will have a number of them. I am a big fan of using multiples as well and augmented bass. You will see a lot of these in the near future. I also would like to experiment with other types of cabinets as well and will be.

One of the multiples will be a front and top firing driver with the top driver being offset. Hopefully I will have these ready built as well in my CustomShop section of the website.

Another area that I will be happy to help with is Woodworking tips and material use ( MDF, Plywood, types of glue, damping, etc)

Thanks again,
Louis

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2013, 05:23 am »
Hi Guy ,

Very interesting projects and like them all. The most important thing is to have the right driver. I worked on these for a very long time and made them so they can be used in a variety of applications. They all will. I do specialize in BR cabs and will have a number of them. I am a big fan of using multiples as well and augmented bass. You will see a lot of these in the near future. I also would like to experiment with other types of cabinets as well and will be.

One of the multiples will be a front and top firing driver with the top driver being offset. Hopefully I will have these ready built as well in my CustomShop section of the website.

Another area that I will be happy to help with is Woodworking tips and material use ( MDF, Plywood, types of glue, damping, etc)

Thanks again,
Louis

Thanks for your post; however, your post is not what I was looking for
and expecting.
You talk about your products, but you don’t really answer my question
about enclosure design.
I should have know better, you don’t have time and interest in designing TL
and OB enclosure for every one, even if they buy drivers from you.
I will have to look somewhere else for some help and suggestions
and see what they suggest for extended range driver.
Too bad (For both of us) because according to the specs
your drivers they really look promising for my project.
I might use your 7F for my OB enclosure, as for the TL
I need help for the dimensions, which I can find on the Internet,
but I would have prefer to get the dimensions from you.
Well, I understand your situation,
but that does not help me or make my life easier.
Thanks anyway.
You make nice products, but nothing that I desire.

Guy 13

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2013, 06:32 pm »
Hi Guy 13,

Very sorry to to hear and the last thing I would want to convey is a lack of interest or withholding any info.

For the last 12 years going on 13 that I have been directly involved in Single Drivers, I have been building since I was 12 years old before my conversion. I have focused on BR and in the last 7 years in driver development. It's still an on going project that will never end as long as I'm building and designing complete systems and or drivers. It's my philosophy that you always want to better your previous drivers or complete speaker systems.

I dedicate a lot of my time in regards to both of these areas as well as all the day to day operations that I have to do to keep Omega going.

The drivers, both OEM and DIY as well as the complete systems are on the top of the list. Reasearch and development is ongoing.

When I decided to go ahead with the DIY drivers, I wanted to build drive units that would sound the best I could make them as well as have the ability to offer quality units that would offer extraordinary performance with other types of cabinet design such as TL, OB, BLH, etc.

These types of systems I do want to explore further and I think it would be great fun too. As it is right now they are not my specialty.
From the specs and the performance of my drivers (sound quality) They will.

The 2 areas ( driver design and drive unit development ) will always be a major part of what I do as well as my ongoing development of my BR systems.

As I said before I would think it would be a great experience and fun building the TL and other styles and would be happy to build along side you and all of our AC family and post our findings.

I have a number of projects that I will definitely release in regards to my research in BR and multiples. Also some sealed box thrown in.

Hopefully very soon I will be adding the 8" Full ranger and others. The 8" is on the bench and still a prototype. Found a need to change the surround on that one.

Thanks,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2013, 09:56 pm »

and expecting.
about enclosure design.
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13
Hello Guy 13,

D.I.Y. means Do It Yourself.  It is about research and experimentation, and seeing what one can come up with they can call their own.
Louis does not offer a free plans service yet: 1) The D.I.Y. line was just launched.  2) He only has so much time.
Louis is an extremely busy man with designing his own speakers and building them, and developing new drivers for his own speakers and the D.I.Y. community.

Quote from the website:
Finally, after many years and countless requests I am offering drivers for the D.I.Y. community.
This a very exciting time for me in that I will be able to see what you talented D.I.Y.ers can do with my drivers.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2013, 11:32 pm »

and expecting.
about enclosure design.
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13

So do your vacuum tube suppliers design your amps for you? Or capacitor and inductor manufacturers design your crossovers for you?

As Canada Rob said, DIY is short for DO IT YOURSELF. The drivers are brand new, do you expect finished plans for any and every type of enclosure possible right away?

Your post comes off as demanding and unreasonable imo.  :nono:

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:01 am »

Hi Louis, Canada Rob, DaveC113
and all Audio Circle members.
From what Louis wrote me in the first place
I was under the impression that he would help me in the design.
I know Louis is a very busy man.
I know Louis in not in the business of design enclosures
for his potential buyers.
I know all that, I was not born yesterday…
I can design my own stuff as I did in the past.
Designing OB is easy, especially with the help of the Internet.
Dave C113 I don’t like the tone of your voice or your kind of writing.

(( So do your vacuum tube suppliers design your amps for you? Or capacitor and inductor manufacturers design your crossovers for you? ))

As I wrote previously, I was not born yesterday
and I have been doing audio stuff since the age of 16 and I am 65,
make your own calculation if you can. :lol:
Please don’t treat me as an ignorant.
Same thing goes for CanadaRob,
but Rob you have been more polite, thanks.

I know what D.I.Y means, I am not that stupid.
I did five (05) D.I.Y projects with Danny’s drivers
and they all deliver good quality to my ears.
You can keep posting your recommendations, advices , etc…
But don’t do it as if I was a little baby or an ignorant.
That been said, I am not angry or being aggressive,
just stating my opinion the way I always did since the beginning
with Audio Circle.
I must buy the drivers from Louis, they are such a good deal.
I will start with an OB project.
For the TL I will seek the help of MJK in exchange of a little fee.
Yes, I agree to pay for detailed expertise.

Have a nice day
and (Please) don’t treat me like that again,
I really don’t like it.

Guy 13

Note:
Louis, if my post seems offensive,
that was not my intention, as previously said,
I was under the impression that you wanted to help me in the design of the enclosure.
I am sure I will be successful with my OB design
and I will post my findings/results on Audio Circle,
That should be good for you and your drivers.
When I am happy/satisfied with a product, I tell everyone. 

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2013, 09:21 am »
Sometimes passionate intent is hard to communicate, especially in writing.  Throw in cultural differences (like living overseas for extended periods versus being from the U.S. or Canada) and we've seen communications breakdown more easily.  I hope everyone keeps keeps in mind that this is a cherished past time and to treasure what we can share.  If audio had only a single path, it'd be boring.  Please hold on to your opinions but respect others.  Let's stay on guard that audio doesn't become an unhealthy obsession.  (Except for Louis, we need him to obsessively invent, develop, and most importantly continue to build the best speakers ever.)   :wink:

Like our Aussie buds are apt to say, "Keep it light and breezy mate."

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2013, 11:21 am »

Hi DaveC113 and all Audio Circle members.
You have the right to not agree with me.
You have the write to post that on Audio Circle.
But there's is a way to say things without insulting others.
For instance, you could have suggested me a name
or a link of someone that could help me.
That would have been nice.
DIY cannot do everything by themselves.
Sometimes we need help.
Experimenting is my specialty,
you would know, if you have been following my 1700+ posts.
Experimenting with some advice, that's good.
You did not help me much by writing what you wrote.
But that's O.K.
That's how you are,
I have no intention of making you change.
However, next time , please try to be more helpful
instead of just throwing at me some irritating words.
No hard feeling, just sharing opinions.
Have a nice day.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2013, 11:24 am »
Sometimes passionate intent is hard to communicate, especially in writing.  Throw in cultural differences (like living overseas for extended periods versus being from the U.S. or Canada) and we've seen communications breakdown more easily.  I hope everyone keeps keeps in mind that this is a cherished past time and to treasure what we can share.  If audio had only a single path, it'd be boring.  Please hold on to your opinions but respect others.  Let's stay on guard that audio doesn't become an unhealthy obsession.  (Except for Louis, we need him to obsessively invent, develop, and most importantly continue to build the best speakers ever.)   :wink:

Like our Aussie buds are apt to say, "Keep it light and breezy mate."

Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for your sharing with me your thoughts.
I understand and agree with what you wrote.
I've learned (Again) something with this topic.
I hope Louis and all Audio Circle members will understand that
I was a little upset and work have not been chosen properly for which
I apologize.
Have a nice day.

Guy 13

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:16 pm »
So do your vacuum tube suppliers design your amps for you? Or capacitor and inductor manufacturers design your crossovers for you?

As Canada Rob said, DIY is short for DO IT YOURSELF. The drivers are brand new, do you expect finished plans for any and every type of enclosure possible right away?

Your post comes off as demanding and unreasonable imo. :nono:

:thumb:

Agreed. Give Lewis a break. This is DIY.

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:29 pm »

:thumb:

Agreed. Give Lewis a break. This is DIY.
Hi jackman and all Audio Circle members.

I just did ! :thumb:

Guy 13

beowulf

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2013, 08:42 pm »
You are probably aware of this ... but if not, there are multiple designs on Google Images that may work for you.

beowulf

« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2013, 08:50 pm »
Edit ... sent through PM
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2013, 09:52 pm by beowulf »