any replacement for the mini medallion in sight?

Thelonious Monk

any replacement for the mini medallion in sight?
« on: 14 Apr 2007, 12:23 am »
the mini me filled a gap in the audio market; efficient, single-driver, and small. i was planning on buying a pair a while ago but now i see that louis doesn't offer the mini-me anymore, looks like he's going all-hemp. i'm putting together a nearfield system (see: need small speakers and small amplifiers!) and the mini me would have been perfect. now i'm going to have to go with a crossover'd speaker that is much less efficient and requires a much more powerful amplifier (my current candidate, the atc scm7, requires at least 50 watts)...

so, my question is: are there any small hemp speakers in the making, suitable for desktop listening? i don't want to have to track down a used mini-me, but i also don't want to have a powerhouse amplifier on my computer desktop. compact hemps ain't so compact    when you're a meter or less from the transducers... does louis's supplier of hemp drivers not make anything small enough for a mini-monitor?

i know that this is a shot in the dark and odds are the question will go unanswered... but it's worth a try, i simply can't find any small, single-driver monitors under $1000. :(

chadh

Re: any replacement for the mini medallion in sight?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2007, 04:21 am »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2007, 04:33 am »
The Omega Super 3s with a 4.5" hemp cone are 15"h x 12"w x 7.5"d not exactly mini, but I guess it depends on how big your desk is.

Lin

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2007, 11:04 pm »
the main reasons i need it to be smaller than the super 3 are:

1. i don't want to have to buy a throne to get the driver to ear-level
2. the smaller the speaker the better, it will interact less with what's on the desktop
3. it's easier to adjust a smaller speaker to get proper imaging; there's not much you can do with a 12" wide piece of speaker on your desk. the tekton speakers would fit the bill if they weren't so damn tall.

thanks for the help though. i might just end up doing a little "interior decorating". i'll buy a larger desk, move the bed to a different corner, and have a decent sized area to give the speakers some breathing room. that way i could still get a speaker like the super 3, and not be limited to small multidriver speakers. i guess i created this thread praying for a 4.5" driver speaker that meets my size requirements; the role audio skiff meets the size requirements but it's already -6db at 120hz... i just want a singledriver speaker that's small and reaches down a bit below 100 before rolling off rapidly, and the mini-me was that speaker.

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2007, 02:57 am »

Not sure why I didn't think about it before:  how about the TBI Diamonds?  There are two versions, mk I and mk II.  You can check them out here: http://www.tbisound.com/index.asp

Chad

dgoodier

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2007, 05:10 am »
You could go the diy route and build cabinets similar to the mini me or parts express has pre-made cabinets:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-702
Then load them with some decent tang bands, the mini me appears to use the w4-1052sa (however, I bet it was painstakingly modified). Tang Band (available also at parts express) has a few very interesting 4" driver s that may work well in a 7 liter cabinet.
I'd use winisd to help determine your port size (using either a 1.5" or 2" port). This would be an inexpensive solution.
Sure they won't be as nice as the absolute pieces of art Louis makes. I just have to drool looking at his stuff :drool:, I am recently married and I  am not ready to sneak in a couple grand worth of speakers into the house  :nono: ......YET Hmm? too bad it's not the 1st anniversary that's the wood anniversary!!
Anyway I think I will go this route for my bedroom system.

best of luck,
David

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2007, 11:38 pm »
You could go the diy route and build cabinets similar to the mini me or parts express has pre-made cabinets:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-702
Then load them with some decent tang bands, the mini me appears to use the w4-1052sa (however, I bet it was painstakingly modified). Tang Band (available also at parts express) has a few very interesting 4" driver s that may work well in a 7 liter cabinet.
I'd use winisd to help determine your port size (using either a 1.5" or 2" port). This would be an inexpensive solution.
Sure they won't be as nice as the absolute pieces of art Louis makes. I just have to drool looking at his stuff :drool:, I am recently married and I  am not ready to sneak in a couple grand worth of speakers into the house  :nono: ......YET Hmm? too bad it's not the 1st anniversary that's the wood anniversary!!
Anyway I think I will go this route for my bedroom system.

best of luck,
David

the only problem with that is i'm completely and utterly inexperienced working with wood. if i want to i could probably get into diy audio and learn how to work with a circuit (can already solder, gogo building computers), but i am totally and utterly useless with a saw. 'course there's some more handy dudes in my family that could assist me in creating a speaker cabinet.

thanks for the suggestions guys, i think we can let this topic die; might be a bit rude to discuss competing products in a sponsor forum, no?

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2007, 05:17 pm »
Hi Thelonious Monk,

Many thanks foe the posts and I need to fix the site and state that the mini me's are still being made on a special order basis. They are perfect for desktop systems and also have the same build as all the speakers.

I do want to apologize for the confusion.

Thanks again,
Louis

kaineilsen

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2007, 06:24 pm »
Louis,

Are the special order Mini Me's still available?

Hi Thelonious Monk,

Many thanks foe the posts and I need to fix the site and state that the mini me's are still being made on a special order basis. They are perfect for desktop systems and also have the same build as all the speakers.

I do want to apologize for the confusion.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2007, 01:39 am »
Thanks and I will custom make any of the speakers. I also have a great set of TS2s in Teak.

Just let me know what you need and I'll take care of it.

Thanks.
Louis