Tekton Design Fostex Monitors

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Tekton Design Fostex Monitors
« on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:33 pm »
A speaker that looks good, seems to be using good drivers (Fostex FE167E), specs are good, price is low ($330).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260077402141

Is this too good to be true? Can't find any reviews on the web. Does anyone own them or know of a review?

Thanks,
Boris

bacobits1

Re: Tekton Design Fostex Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:51 pm »
I don't know the name but they look pretty nice. Other offering look nice too.
I use Brines FT1600II's with Fostex FE167 'S and they are excellent!

D

srayle

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:58 pm »
I bought a pair of Tekton Voight Pipe design (think Cain and Cain Abbeys) that uses this same Fostex FE167E driver and it sounds
simply OUTSTANDING. Excellent build quality, simply wonderful speakers. Eric Alexander is a speaker designer /Master Craftsman who
has worked in the industry for many years for some famous names and now is making speakers on his own. They are a tremendous value, and I'm sure his prices will be rising as his work becomes more well-known.
You can't go wrong with this monitor speaker.

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:14 pm »
I built some bass reflex boxes using the big brother of this driver, the 206E.  In a bass reflex (ported) alignment, bass output and total volume will be limited and this driver family can get a little "hot" from 1 khz to 3 khz.

If you know this sound already, these are almost assuredly great speakers at a ridiculously good price.  If you're looking to try out the single driver experience, this would be a good way to do it.  There are a gaggle of cheap/free Fostex mods that I'll be happy to tell you about if you care.

Pair these with a tight pair of subs and with a lot of music you'll be happy forever.  Hint, not Led Zeppelin.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:41 pm »
I want to pair them with a 5W SE amp currently driving 89dB two-way boxes (loud enough for my 11x14 bedroom and my listening habits). I'd like to get some listening experience with single driver speakers. I know that I will stay with full range, floor standing speakers for my main system and don't want to spend too many $$ for the experience. I also do not want to buy a speaker that will dissapoint me and turn away from something that makes a lot of sense, in theory at least.

So I appreciate the suggestions and I will probably buy the speakers.

But, for future upgrades - it's pretty obvious that I'll need to add a sub and that's fine - I'll want to cut it at ~100Hz or lower, to avoid problems with phasing. Will I need a tweeter too, to improve highs? Maybe the one to cut at 8kHz or above - I'd like to have Fostex cover as much range as possible and yet to avoid beaming....

Does it all make sense?

Thanks!

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:53 pm »
Just bought it.....what break-in time should I expect?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:02 am »
Great price, very good driver.  Omega Grande 6 clone for half the price (and lacking Louis' very nice wood veneer).  Also about half the price of Bob Brines' FB-16 (and better looking IMO).  The stated bass response might be a bit optomistic.

miklorsmith

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:12 am »
Just bought it.....what break-in time should I expect?

Many, many, many, many hours.  Hundreds.  Wire 'em out of phase, face-to-face with a blanket over them and give them as much power as they can take.  Do this for two weeks and they'll probably be listenable.  If you only play them with the SE amp (which should be a smokin' combo, BTW) and they will literally never break in. 

batmanslc2

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:27 am »
Just got mine from Eric a week ago, they have been breaking in and improving.
I live jsut 40 min from him.   I will be using as surround speakers with Hornshoppe
up front.  I'm thinking they will blend together nicely.  Awesome price /perfromance
which I am always looking for.  I have around 70 hours and they have improved nicely.

Eric seems to know his stuff, may have him build a sub for me as well. 

Listend to beatles LOVE yesterday on these with basic old sherwood surround receiver
and Toshiba sd9200 dvd/cd player,,  Great stuff, will go with different pre/power soon. 

batmanslc2

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:29 am »
Oh, I got the 4.5" , not the 6 inch, more similar driver to hornshoppe

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:36 am »
Thanks - will do break-in with an SS amp, and then listening with tube SE and PP. Will report first impressions as soon as I get the boxes and progress as they break-in. The response on this thread is definitely encouraging. It's always nice to give recognition to someone who makes good products and does not overcharge.

zacster

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2007, 02:18 am »
That sounds like a good deal.  I've been looking to build some Fostex based speakers, but it would cost more than that to DIY them.  I'd love to hear them with my ex-Dynaco someday, maybe another rave in the future.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:59 am »
Zach, I was looking at building something too - I looked at BK-16 kit from Madisound, but they are too large for what I have in mind (portability is the key word) and I'm not the best woodworker there is.....and this is cheaper to begin with.

I'll be glad to have you over with your amp for listening. Maybe Buddy gets interested too as he already has a lot of experience w/ Fostex...Charlie a.k.a. Rollo also has experience with this, if I'm not mistaken.

Man....can't wait to get 'em.....

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:56 am »
Maybe Buddy gets interested too as he already has a lot of experience w/ Fostex...Charlie a.k.a. Rollo also has experience with this, if I'm not mistaken.

Man....can't wait to get 'em.....

Hey!

Audiovista and zacter, I'm not a fan of audio swapping orgy but you both are welcome to stop by my place with your amp and try them with my homemade TQWT with Fostex driver.

Well, before you buy those Fostex in bass reflex box... you might want to stop by and try your amp with my tweaked Fostex in big TQWT cab first. aa

The only downside of my speaker is the size.... oh! yeah and they ain't that pretty :? I don't think my speaker will have any WAF! :lol: But of cause I do love the sound :wink:

Anyway, I will be busy until near the end of this month. So, maybe sometime near the end of th is month like Sunday the 25th or early next month like Sunday March the 4th? I will keep you guys posted on this and maybe I could make this my mini-rave :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:42 am »
Eric Alexander's ME page on eBay........he has some good feedback as well.

Boris.....I did find a mention on AA...... :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 07:55 am by lonewolfny42 »

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:18 pm »
Thanks for the ebay and AA links. Not too many details, but no complaints either. Good sign, I guess.

Buddy, thanks for the offer, will gladly jump at it....but let's plan for March, I'm in California the last week of February. Don't need to do any swapping, I'll be happy to hear your Fostexes and we can wrap it fairly quickly.

JANDG

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:58 pm »
I have had Eric's fe167e monitors & 2 of his 10" BASH plate BR subs. The fe167e br is good, & is what got me hooked on Fullrange drivers. I installed Dave's phase plugs in the 167's & they are a big bonus, they do take along time to break in, just throw heavy , loud, fairly high power to em ..get your boat anchor out..his subs are good also for the money,, but bass quality, NOT slam..was the deciding factor in my letting them go. The subs are great for 80hz down, but any higher you will have problems. I listen to all types of music & many bass involved, so quick , clean & fast is a biggie for me, I discovered Open baffle & that is were I live..I dought you will beat Eric's fe167e for the money..Also PERFECT for small rooms...They also have 1"+ baffles so they are not junk, very tough finish that does not scratch easy..He packes extraordnary. My subs came by truck , triple boxed, & a custome OSB outer shell with a dang crate under. He uses solid -core hookup wire. I hint about Eric..He is life long friends with the boys at ZU...they have been doing audio together side by side since they were children. If you have not experienced the Fullrange way, this is a great way to get in.. & a quaulity product. & you can actually talk with the builder,, ..He is actually capable of building anything one would want..but his intro stuff is great for everyone. I would say if you are looking to use subs.. ask Eric to do a sealed version & use sealed subs.....Then down the road try Open baffle w/ a FR, & with bass augmentation..I did have the monitors on 100lbs filled stands & they will amaze, just hard to get the bass a s fast & tight as I want..

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:06 pm »
JANDG, open-baffle....another technology that interests me. I see a good circle about it, but what would you reccommend as a good place to start? Thanks, Boris

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2007, 01:39 am »
I hope it's ok to continue this thread even though it's been more than a month since last post....

So, Tektons are here....well, they came even faster than expected, but I was absent and then I was lazy  :oops:...so I finally unpacked them.

Overall, very good and safe packaging  :thumb:

Good, durable finish. Very professional.  :thumb:

I did listen to them, but they do need a serious break-in. For the last week they've been connected to an SS amp, running between 10-30W for 3-5 hrs a day (more on weekends). For now I have ~30 hrs on them. I'll continue till next weekend and then I'll have to give them a listen again. They'll have ~60hrs by then, not even close to recommended 200hrs, but I hope to hear a difference.

Let's see what lies beneath the pretty face  :wink:

Boris

mjosef

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2007, 04:51 am »
Waw, looks darn good for so little money... mhnnnn, very tempting... I was thinking of trying the single driver thing after hearing Buddy's last year.
Boris, keep us posted on the sound when it breaks-in...