$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

pjchappy

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1300 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:54 pm »
So, would different lengths of wire for each channel be of any concern?

Ummm. . .thanks, Steve! :lol:

Paul

steve k

« Reply #1301 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:56 pm »
I wouldn't sweat it.
steve

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #1302 on: 20 Apr 2010, 04:40 pm »
Guys,

Do you guys have a link to the manual for the Super D amplifiers? I am sure they are very similar to the regular class D audio models. The wiring looks super easy since all the work on the boards is done for you.

Thanks,
Anand.

steve k

« Reply #1303 on: 20 Apr 2010, 05:10 pm »
Tom says they'll be out by the weekend.
steve

DustyC

« Reply #1304 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm »
Interesting thread :)
Anybody who has built one of these care to comment on any interference with their AM/FM tuner? I'm considering building one of these but I'm concerned about RFI.
Thanks!

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #1305 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:05 pm »
Anybody who has built one of these care to comment on any interference with their AM/FM tuner? I'm considering building one of these but I'm concerned about RFI.
Thanks!

The amps operate at very high frequency (~400 MHz I think) so this is not likely to be a problem.  Mine are in an aluminum case and do not interfere with FM radio at all.  I don't listen to AM so I can't comment about that.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1306 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:26 pm »
Thanks!

None for me.

pjchappy

« Reply #1307 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:46 am »
Regarding using the amps in bridged mode, the instructions say to "connect the speaker to the right and left channel + and + speaker outputs only."  With that, will it not matter which way I hook up the speaker, regarding phase issues (meaning, is there no longer a positive and negative side?  If there still is, which is which?)  I'm a bit confused with this one. :scratch:

Thanks.

Paul

Robert F.

« Reply #1308 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:54 am »
How would you go about installing a headphone jack? I guess I would need to add a switch to change from speaker output to headphone output so speakes are not active when using headphones. Been thinking about getting a good set of "cans" to play with and thought why not use my awesome DIY amp to power them.

Robert

srb

« Reply #1309 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:15 pm »
How would you go about installing a headphone jack? I guess I would need to add a switch to change from speaker output to headphone output so speakes are not active when using headphones. Been thinking about getting a good set of "cans" to play with and thought why not use my awesome DIY amp to power them.

I think you would need to switch between the amplifier output and a completely separate low-power amplifier circuit for the headphones.

The average headphone will require power in milliwats, not watts, and there would be no way to easily, effectively or efficiently attenuate the large power ouput, provide impedance matching, and provide a usable volume control range.

Steve

steve k

« Reply #1310 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:15 pm »
Regarding using the amps in bridged mode, the instructions say to "connect the speaker to the right and left channel + and + speaker outputs only."  With that, will it not matter which way I hook up the speaker, regarding phase issues (meaning, is there no longer a positive and negative side?  If there still is, which is which?)  I'm a bit confused with this one.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul,
Hook your red (+) lead to the Right Speaker + and your negative lead (-) to the Left Speaker + lead.

steve

bprice2

« Reply #1311 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:29 pm »
Paul,
Hook your red (+) lead to the Right Speaker + and your negative lead (-) to the Left Speaker + lead.

steve

Steve,

If I'm reading Paul correctly, it sounds like he has the wiring configuration down.  I think he's asking how phase is affected in bridged mode, which is a question I have too.

Brett

steve k

« Reply #1312 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:13 pm »
What I'm saying is there still is a + and - side. Right side + is + and left + is negative.

bprice2

« Reply #1313 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:16 pm »
What I'm saying is there still is a + and - side. Right side + is + and left + is negative.

Good info...thanks.

moremoremore

« Reply #1314 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:21 pm »
Other than Steve's very first post, which mentions La Scalas, I haven't found anything about using this kit with high-efficiency speakers, with the supposed imperative that those first few watts be great--not that I've read every post, though I'm working on it.  I currently use a moderately tweaked Sure TK2050 Tripath board, Klipsch Heresy's, and mostly listen to vinyl.  I like the Sure amp in my system, but this kit might be better for my needs. 

Any opinions/suggestions regarding the low-power sound of the Class D Audio amps for horn speaker aficionados?   I'm especially curious to hear from those who've been able to compare an amp from Class D Audio to 2A3's and other tube classics or even well-regarded solid state/Class D stuff.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1315 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:09 pm »
Any opinions/suggestions regarding the low-power sound of the Class D Audio amps for horn speaker aficionados?   I'm especially curious to hear from those who've been able to compare an amp from Class D Audio to 2A3's and other tube classics or even well-regarded solid state/Class D stuff.

I suggest you contact Blair from his website at Niteshade Audio.
http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/ or check out his circle here on AC.

He uses Klipsch speakers and designs some very nice tube gear and has built/sells the ClassD amp as well.  I know of no better person to answer your questions.

pjchappy

« Reply #1316 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:30 pm »
Thanks, Steve.

mhr

Need Super D Manual
« Reply #1317 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:09 am »
Hi All,

I ordered and have setup one of the new Super D Class D amps.

All arrived in excellent condition but no manual was included.

Does anyone with a Super D also have a manual with the hookup instructions?

parodielin

« Reply #1318 on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:35 am »
Grounding Question

How did people do grounding with this amp?  Did you connect the power ground to anywhere of the amp board or power board?  I did not realize grounding is important until building the Pass B1 preamp and was wondering how people do it.

On the power and amp board, I wasn't sure where I should connect the power gound to.  Or simply connect the power ground to the metal chassis and have boards sit on it.

Thx!

steve k

« Reply #1319 on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:47 am »
I asked Tom that awhile back. He said the amps really don't need to be grounded but if you still want to, he suggested grounding to one of the screws that mounts the heat sink to the board.
steve