• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #320 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply on the xlr holes.

You're welcome.

jkelly

« Reply #321 on: 15 Feb 2010, 10:25 pm »
Just finished my 250 x 2.  Breaking in - amp sounds sweet!

Jeff

shadowlight

« Reply #322 on: 15 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm »
Nice and clean Jeff.  I am itching to finish mine soon.

steve k

« Reply #323 on: 15 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm »
Very nice, Jeff. How about a look under the hood?
steve

pjchappy

« Reply #324 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:26 am »
Really the 2ch but you could make it a 4ch if you are creative...The case will fit the tranny, two amp boards and power filter.  You'll just have to configure the inputs / outputs to your liking.

Any further insight regarding the "if you are creative" part?  I would want this amp for my future speakers, which I plan on going active with.  If the biggest IR Class D amp is suitable enough to fit the bill with just one PS and tranny, I would just dump it all into one chassis.  Would save a nice chunk of change, as I would go without the 2nd case, PS and tranny. . but would therefore like 4 RCA input and 4 binding post punchouts.

Thanks,

Paul

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #325 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:19 am »
Any further insight regarding the "if you are creative" part?  I would want this amp for my future speakers, which I plan on going active with.  If the biggest IR Class D amp is suitable enough to fit the bill with just one PS and tranny, I would just dump it all into one chassis.  Would save a nice chunk of change, as I would go without the 2nd case, PS and tranny. . but would therefore like 4 RCA input and 4 binding post punchouts.

see mine here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-d-amp-photo-gallery-18.html#post2011069

I just drilled the holes where I wanted them in the chassis and filed the edges to make square ones for the switch and power connector. These amps are great. 

- Doug

pjchappy

« Reply #326 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:27 am »
Thanks, Doug.  What size drill bit do you need for the RCAs?  If different, what do you need for the binding posts?

jtwrace,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but with some of the posts I've seen regarding cases, why is the one you're going to be working on estimated to be $175?  How much of the cost is to have those punchouts?  I've seen some pretty nice ones for a lot cheaper.

Paul

JDUBS

« Reply #327 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:50 am »
Thanks, Doug.  What size drill bit do you need for the RCAs?  If different, what do you need for the binding posts?

jtwrace,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but with some of the posts I've seen regarding cases, why is the one you're going to be working on estimated to be $175?  How much of the cost is to have those punchouts?  I've seen some pretty nice ones for a lot cheaper.

Paul

Ughhh...jtwrace I wouldn't even bother answering this.  Its a CUSTOM enclosure.  The ones on eBay are, of couse, NOT custom.  CUSTOM = $$$.

I'm stoked for your enclosure, jtwrace.

-Jim 

pjchappy

« Reply #328 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:54 am »
I'm not trying to step on his toes. . . just wanted some clarification / more details.  Truly sorry if it came off the wrong way.   :oops:  Didn't realize they were totally custom.  Had thought it was an off-the-shelf enclosure with punchouts made for this amp.

There's a very good chance I'll be getting his enclosure.   :thumb: 

All apologies.

Paul
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2010, 09:43 am by pjchappy »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #329 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:45 am »
Ughhh...jtwrace I wouldn't even bother answering this.  Its a CUSTOM enclosure.  The ones on eBay are, of couse, NOT custom.  CUSTOM = $$$.

I'm stoked for your enclosure, jtwrace.

-Jim

Thanks Jim!  It sure is totally custom. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #330 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:54 am »
I'm not trying to step on his toes. . . just wanted some clarification / more details.  Truly sorry if it came off the wrong way.   :oops:  Didn't realize they were totally custom.  Had thought it was an off-the-shelf enclosure with punchouts made for this amp.

There's a very good chance I'll be getting his enclosure.   :thumb: 

All apologies.

Paul

No problem.  I understand that some will like and some will not.  Yes, I designed these from scratch.  I was trying to hold off on the fine details until the prototype was complete and I could post pictures.  The holes are all there for ALL the Class D Audio amps.  XLR / RCA inputs, IEC, main power switch and speaker binding posts.  The top cover will be vented as well.  I will post pics when I have the prototype and also have a recommended parts list with part #'s / suppliers for the few items that will be needed (XLR, RCA, IEC, binding posts....).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #331 on: 16 Feb 2010, 12:14 pm »
my future speakers, which I plan on going active with.
Thanks,
Paul

Ahh.  That's my next plan....maybe. 

pjchappy

« Reply #332 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:19 pm »
No problem.  I understand that some will like and some will not.  Yes, I designed these from scratch.  I was trying to hold off on the fine details until the prototype was complete and I could post pictures.  The holes are all there for ALL the Class D Audio amps.  XLR / RCA inputs, IEC, main power switch and speaker binding posts.  The top cover will be vented as well.  I will post pics when I have the prototype and also have a recommended parts list with part #'s / suppliers for the few items that will be needed (XLR, RCA, IEC, binding posts....).

Thanks!  I will hold all further questions and comments until I see the pics.  :oops: Looking forward to it.  :thumb:

Paul

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #333 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:42 pm »

That will depend on your actual connectors I think mine were ~1/4" and 3/8" (I used a drill press + whatever size drill was most appropriate).  I used insulated connectors so the signal ground is not connected to the case (but the case is still grounded to the house electrical ground).  This way there is no possibility for ground loops (I am using a DCX2496 to drive the amps with XLR-to-RCA connectors).

I was originally going to go for a custom case (Front Panel or Modu) but decided against it once I priced them out.  What I ended up with cost around ~$160 for the case + connectors + wire, etc. So at ~$485, total, it was not exactly cheap - but that's still only ~$120 per channel.

ebag4

shadowlight

« Reply #336 on: 17 Feb 2010, 05:49 pm »
What are you using for binding posts?

I picked up http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102838 from Radioshack.  I picked up the rca connectors also from Radioshack but they do not have the plastic/rubber (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103234#) washers and that seems to be a no-no with potential hazard.

Updated the original post with binding post info.

ebag4

« Reply #337 on: 18 Feb 2010, 11:36 pm »
Well, you guys talked me into it.  I received my 120W@4 ohms amp today.  It appears to be very well built.  I have it running directly from my Havana DAC which is 800 ohms out, not ideal but seems to work well in spite of that issue.  Initially I thought it sounded a little ragged but that has cleared up somewhat in the last 2 hours.  I believe I read that Tom recommended about 100 hours on it prior to doing any critical listening, so I will.  It is definitely case worthy so I will be building a case similar to what Bob did, sizing it to match the Dodd buffer as closely as I can from a width standpoint.  More after it has burned in.

Best,
Ed

wushuliu

« Reply #338 on: 19 Feb 2010, 07:45 pm »
FWIW, I've been listening to my Classdaudio amp w/ a B1 Buffer for the past few days (I also lowered the buffer impedance output from stock 1k to 330). I did an A/B with and without and no doubt the amp benefits a couple notches from the buffer.

ebag4

« Reply #339 on: 19 Feb 2010, 10:37 pm »
Update on my 120W amp.  Much better  :thumb:.  I was hearing a lttle raggedness early on, I have since disconnected the sub amp from the speaker ckts out of the ClassD unit, much better, smoother and clean.  Very musical, nice amp!

Best,
Ed