Best Tube Buffers

NoahH

Best Tube Buffers
« on: 4 Jun 2022, 02:20 pm »
Hi all,
I have been looking at preamps and the more I looked, the more I realized that a tube buffer might be simpler as I am not concerned about input selection, and I think digital volume control may be ok.

Unfortunately there are not a ton of such buffers, and the ones that exist don't have a lot of reviews.
Anyone have strong endorsements in either some pre-made tube Buffers or kits / designs?

Escott1377

Re: Best Tube Buffers
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2022, 02:57 pm »
The ifi version has received very positive reviews.  1 sold on this site recently.  Looks like it uses a 5670 tube and you could swap for the Western Electric.  That tube is pretty easy to get your hands on.

This is what I found on a quick Google search:

Craig B

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2022, 03:41 pm »
I have a never-used Musical Fidelity X10 V3 tube buffer I'd like to sell. In original packaging and everything. $275 plus shipping from Indianapolis, or available for local pickup.

You can read about it here (and other places on the web): https://audiophillness.com/musical-fidelity-x-10v3/. If interested, PM me.

Escott1377

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2022, 05:03 pm »
I just took a look at EBay and there is an interesting YAQIN unit, sold from the US, that uses a pair of 6sn7 tube.  That is an excellent pre amp tube.

jmc207

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2022, 06:25 pm »
I've been considering the Mapletree Audio BB (Black Buff) Line Level Buffer Stage. Does anyone here have any experience with it? Here's their description of it:

"Sweeten the sonics of your DAC or other digital source with the Black Buff  line stage. It features unity gain, 50K input impedance, less than 500 Ohms output impedance, and includes  a volume control and heater voltage switch for use of either a 6SN7GT or 12SN7GT tube (supplied)."

http://www.mapletreeaudio.com/ (3rd item on the page)

Escott1377

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2022, 08:18 pm »
I have no experience with that product.  It looks well built and I like the fact that you can use 6 or 12 V options.  The 12sn7 is much more affordable than it’s 6 V cousin.

If you purchase, please be sure to share your thoughts with the group

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2022, 08:27 pm »
Dan Wright has a new one in process. I'm sure it will be top notch like all of his gear.

RonP

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2022, 09:49 pm »
Dan Wright has a new one in process. I'm sure it will be top notch like all of his gear.

+1

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156734.0

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm »
I'd suggest going with your initial idea of buying a tube preamp. A buffer adds an unnecessary component in the chain. A decent quality tube buffer won't be cheap, plus once you spend money on upgrading the power cord and the interconnects, you'll arrive at the cost of a good tube preamp. Besides, components that don't contain kick-ass power supplies will be quickly replaced. Been there, done that...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2022, 10:42 pm »
I'd suggest going with your initial idea of buying a tube preamp. A buffer adds an unnecessary component in the chain. A decent quality tube buffer won't be cheap, plus once you spend money on upgrading the power cord and the interconnects, you'll arrive at the cost of a good tube preamp. Besides, components that don't contain kick-ass power supplies will be quickly replaced. Been there, done that...

Facts!

NoahH

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2022, 05:48 am »

I am thinking of the buffer as an alternative to the pre. This is partially a result of me planning out an SP14 build and realizing how separate the volume and attenuation really is from the active tube section. Thus I realized that I should look at whether there are good buffers to look at instead.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2022, 12:29 pm »
I am thinking of the buffer as an alternative to the pre. This is partially a result of me planning out an SP14 build and realizing how separate the volume and attenuation really is from the active tube section.

Separating the volume control from the tube section may solve one issue, but creates three others. If you're gonna build a preamp, it's more important to separate the power supply.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2022, 01:31 pm »
Take a look at the LTA Microzotl pre/head amp. It can drive anything and is amazingly dynamic. Beats any tube buffer (and most tube preamps) I've tried.
https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/mz2mz2-s

Escott1377

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2022, 05:36 pm »
If you are willing to consider a tube pre, I settled on the 1 below.  I put some expensive tubes and caps in it but this can done over time.  The power supply is located in the bottom of the unit and therefore separated from the circuit.  It is surprisingly good.  Really surprised me once it arrived.

GregC

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2022, 07:10 pm »

+1

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2022, 02:19 am »
I don’t know about the best because I’ve never compared every buffer out there, but I use the Mapletree. I had it built with a volume pot and not the “distortion enhancer”, so I basically use it as a minimalist preamp for a single source. Also, it was wired only for use with a 6SN7GT tube. CDP to buffer to amp to speakers. I like it a lot.

One more thing: it was built by a guy with an EE degree, not some hack in his mother’s basement.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2022, 02:39 pm »
If you are willing to consider a tube pre, I settled on the 1 below.  I put some expensive tubes and caps in it but this can done over time.  The power supply is located in the bottom of the unit and therefore separated from the circuit.  It is surprisingly good.  Really surprised me once it arrived.

The MP gear is no joke.  I had their DAC in here a while back and it sounded (and measured) excellent.  Build quality was impressive, too.

Escott1377

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2022, 05:16 pm »
The MP gear is no joke.  I had their DAC in here a while back and it sounded (and measured) excellent.  Build quality was impressive, too.

I bought his DAC once I owned the pre for about 30 days :)