First Veneer Project: X LS Encores

lacro

Re: First Veneer Project: X LS Encores
« Reply #40 on: 23 Dec 2014, 04:37 pm »
Jay - They look great! :thumb: Are these for someone else or are you keeping them?

Captainhemo

« Reply #41 on: 23 Dec 2014, 05:20 pm »
Thanks guys,

Larry,  they are for my sister for Xmas :xmas: and like   Mike mentioned,  that was part of the reason for the  Polyurathane finish, lots of traffic (kids) so I wanted the extra protection.

Mike ,  I hear you on the extra work of the shellac but after I consider all the extra work involved with fixing  those mistakes... man.  In the end,  I wanted that extra protection so it was the right choice. 
 If I were building  the cabinets for myself, I'd consider  just  going with the  danish oil alone.  I prefer the  natural look that the oil  on it's own seems to give.   You  have  very similar finish on  your wedgies (or seem to from the pics) ,  I really   like the look you ended up with  .

Ron

« Reply #42 on: 24 Dec 2014, 02:55 am »
  Excellent build Jay. They look great !  :thumb:  I know your sister will be very happy to receive such a nice present that you built especially for her.

Ron

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 24 Dec 2014, 05:42 am »
Thanks guys,

Larry,  they are for my sister for Xmas :xmas: and like   Mike mentioned,  that was part of the reason for the  Polyurathane finish, lots of traffic (kids) so I wanted the extra protection.

Mike ,  I hear you on the extra work of the shellac but after I consider all the extra work involved with fixing  those mistakes... man.  In the end,  I wanted that extra protection so it was the right choice. 
 If I were building  the cabinets for myself, I'd consider  just  going with the  danish oil alone.  I prefer the  natural look that the oil  on it's own seems to give.   You  have  very similar finish on  your wedgies (or seem to from the pics) ,  I really   like the look you ended up with  .

Jay,

My wedgies have flat cut Makore (oops I meant Mozambique - from www.wood-database.com : Comments: This wood wins the award for the most commonly-used aliases, with no single name being predominant. When used in guitars, it’s most commonly referred to as Ovangkol. Most other woodworkers favor either Shedua or Amazique, while veneer is sometimes sold under the name Mozambique. All refer to the same wood species: Guibourtia ehie.)  veneer with a dark pore fill then finished with dewaxed blonde shellack. No oil, just shellack.

Mike
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2014, 04:23 pm by mlundy57 »

Captainhemo

« Reply #44 on: 24 Dec 2014, 06:55 am »
Jay,

My wedgies have flat cut Makore veneer with a dark pore fill then finished with dewaxed blonde shellack. No oil, just shellack.

Mike

Yes, I remember you  saying that  Was just saying I think both your finish as well as  the  Danish Oil by itself   give a much more natural looking finish than the poly urathane.  Just in this case, I needed the extra protection the poly offers.

When you first posted  pics of that veneer,  I knew it was going to look  great  :thumb:
Where did you get that from if you don't mind me asking ?  Oakwood ?

-jay
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 06:36 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:52 pm »
Yes, I remember you  saying that  Was just saying I think both your finish as well as  the  Danish Oil by itself   give a much more natural looking finish than the poly urathane.  Just in this case, I needed the extra protection the poly offers.

When you first posted  pics of that veneer,  I knew it was going to look  great  :thumb:
Where did you get that from if you don't mind me asking ?  Oakwood ?

-jay

Jay,

Oops in a previous post I said the veneer was Makore, what I meant to say was flat cut Mozambique (from www.wood-database.com : Comments: This wood wins the award for the most commonly-used aliases, with no single name being predominant. When used in guitars, it’s most commonly referred to as Ovangkol. Most other woodworkers favor either Shedua or Amazique, while veneer is sometimes sold under the name Mozambique. All refer to the same wood species: Guibourtia ehie.) The rest of this post is still accurate.

I got it at www.veneersupplies.com . It was in their raw wood clearance section. I jut checked and it looks like they are out of the flat cut at this time. Oakwood doesn't have any flat cut either.

I learned a lesson with this. I will never again attempt the iron on method when I have to splice pieces of raw wood veneer together. No matter what I tried, or how good the seams looked when I finished ironing the veneer on, once it cooled the seams separated a little. Not much, but just enough to show a straight line between the pieces.

From now on, if I have to splice raw wood pieces together I will use the cold press method of application.  That means no rolling around corners so I need to learn Peter's method of putting solid wood strips along the edges that are to be rounded over, applying the veneer, then rounding over the edges. I plan on practicing this on the X-Omnis.

Mike
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2014, 04:48 pm by mlundy57 »

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 27 Dec 2014, 04:31 pm »
Thanks for the  additional info Mike, appreciate it.    Was kind of wondering as I did find the  flat cut Makcore at Oakwood but it really didn't look  like  the pics of your  Wedgies,  now I know  why   !  Now that  you   say  "Mozambique",  I remember  you posting  that in  your Wedgie build.

Can I ask what you are using for a pore filler ?

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 28 Dec 2014, 03:28 am »
Thanks for the  additional info Mike, appreciate it.    Was kind of wondering as I did find the  flat cut Makcore at Oakwood but it really didn't look  like  the pics of your  Wedgies,  now I know  why   !  Now that  you   say  "Mozambique",  I remember  you posting  that in  your Wedgie build.

Can I ask what you are using for a pore filler ?

-jay

Jay,

It's really exotic .... regular premixed drywall mud (not the fast drying kind) to which I add a universal tint. You could use something like TransTint. I got some black tint at the local Sherwin Williams paint store. I had to take in my own container. They get it in bulk and use it for mixing colors.  Just make sure you are using a universal tint (something that dissolves in any solvent).

A couple of other methods I have also used are (1) end grain sawdust that I made from the same species of wood as the veneer, worked in with a 1# cut of shellack then sealed with more shellack and (2) a few heavier coats of shellack (2# cut) then sanded back to bare wood using 320 grit sandpaper.

The drywall mud is messier but faster and what I used on the Wedgies.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #48 on: 28 Dec 2014, 04:30 am »
Thanks Mike.  I may give the drywall mud/tint a try as  faster is what I'm after.    For the  Encores,  I   just used the  danish Oil   and the wet paper to make a   mix of oil and  actual sawdust from the wood and kept working it in.  It works  but  can take quite some time to dry before yo  can sand  again  I have also heard   that the wood finller  from Australia (Timbermate I think)  works well but I hve not tried it .  Just looking for more ideas.

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 28 Dec 2014, 05:19 am »
Thanks Mike.  I may give the drywall mud/tint a try as  faster is what I'm after.    For the  Encores,  I   just used the  danish Oil   and the wet paper to make a   mix of oil and  actual sawdust from the wood and kept working it in.  It works  but  can take quite some time to dry before yo  can sand  again  I have also heard   that the wood finller  from Australia (Timbermate I think)  works well but I hve not tried it .  Just looking for more ideas.

-jay

Jay,

I use the Timber Mate as a wood filler but at $7.39 for an 8oz jar it would be really expensive as a pore filler. Drywall mud is cheap and the paint store gave me the black tint for free.

If you use the drywall be sure and have your work area well covered with newspaper and clean up well. It can make a real mess in a carpet if you track some in the house.

I spread the tinted pore fill with a small bondo spreader then use a cloth spritzed with water to scrub it in. Not only does this help fill the pores, it takes a lot of the excess off the veneer. This means less sanding. Don't be surprised if you have to do it twice to get all the pores filled. This stuff dries very quickly (work in small areas at a time) so even two coats is pretty fast.

Mike