Clear Cherry - New vs. 4-years old

R Swerdlow

Clear Cherry - New vs. 4-years old
« on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:10 pm »
Last weekend I received my SongCenter speaker.  I've finally balanced the sound in my system, and as expected they sound great.  Yes, they are a big improvement over my old NHT SuperCenter.  The blend across my front three speakers is now complete.

I ordered a clear curly cherry finish to go with my 4-year old SongTowers.  In the past some people have been curious about how much clear (unstained) cherry darkens with age.  Here is the new SongCenter and a 4-year old SongTower.

And finally, the required photo.  The FedEx driver was so fast, that by the time I got my camera, she was already rolling away.  So whether I was slow or not, traditions are important.

Here are the rest of the photos.  Please note that the photos that come before the FedEx truck were taken when the SongTowers were new in September 2007.  The photos from the FedEx truck on, were taken last Sunday (November 2011).  http://www.photoshop.com/users/RSwerdlow/albums/f07a92e50ac9491f89c860203a1e4514/slideshow
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2011, 03:12 pm by R Swerdlow »

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Re: Clear Cherry - New vs. 4-year's old
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:50 pm »
Nice to know that like a fine wine  -
they only get better with time

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:33 pm »
yeah, i like the "patina'd" one better myself.

btw, as long as we are on the subject of older salks, i have on occasion heard of hairline cracks occuring in the clear coat as the speakers age (not a criticism of salks as i believe this can happen with any/all speakers). anyone notice this, can it be fixed or is it not really objectionable.

and as for the fedex truck, a worthy tradition but i am hardly ever home when fedex drops off - i never got the chance to snap a pix  :oops:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:07 pm »
btw, as long as we are on the subject of older salks, i have on occasion heard of hairline cracks occuring in the clear coat as the speakers age (not a criticism of salks as i believe this can happen with any/all speakers). anyone notice this, can it be fixed or is it not really objectionable.
No hairline cracks on my STs.

But this can happen with any furniture with a lacquer or varnish finish.  There are a variety of ways to fix this.  Look into furniture scratch removers.

A simple and gentle method, I would try is Scott's Liquid Gold Cleaner, http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/product-details.aspx?iid=99.  First test it on an out-of-sight location on the furniture.  Pour some on a rag (less is more), and try rubbing over the scratched or cracked finish.  It doesn't actually remove a deep scratch, but it helps make it less visible.

I have an old can that I use on rare occasion.  Unless they've changed the product, it works.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2011, 05:48 pm »
Big improvement over the NHT?  Uh oh....... :o  (must resist the wallet busting urge to upgrade! :lol:)

Glad to see it arrived safe and sound and that your happy with the results. :thumb:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:01 pm »
Big improvement over the NHT?  Uh oh....... :o  (must resist the wallet busting urge to upgrade! :lol:)

I knew you would ask that :lol:.  I'll reword that to say "The SongCenter is a big improvement over my old NHT SuperCenter".

Just how big an improvement, time will tell.  Previously, I preferred listening to music with the STs only, and I used the NHT center speaker only for 5.1 movies.  I'll find out whether that changes in the future.  But after getting the new center's sound balanced with the rest of the speakers, I do find music in 5-channel or 3-channel (possible with my receiver) has more possibilities.

coke

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:10 pm »
I used to do 2 channel only, but I recently got a matching center and really like it for music blu rays and DVDs.

:thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2011, 03:08 am »
I knew you would ask that :lol:.  I'll reword that to say "The SongCenter is a big improvement over my old NHT SuperCenter".

Just how big an improvement, time will tell.  Previously, I preferred listening to music with the STs only, and I used the NHT center speaker only for 5.1 movies.  I'll find out whether that changes in the future.  But after getting the new center's sound balanced with the rest of the speakers, I do find music in 5-channel or 3-channel (possible with my receiver) has more possibilities.

As you know, like you, I mainly use my center (NHT Audio Center 2; a 3 way design) for movies, and not so much for music.  I'm interested in seeing if your listening habits change after you've had your matching center for awhile.

Keep me posted. :)

R Swerdlow

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:41 pm »
As you know, like you, I mainly use my center (NHT Audio Center 2; a 3 way design) for movies, and not so much for music.  I'm interested in seeing if your listening habits change after you've had your matching center for awhile.

Keep me posted. :)

It's been a few weeks with the new SongCenter, and I can confidently say that for movies it is an improvement over my previous NHT SuperCenter.  The NHT was neutral in tone balance and was very good for voices, but the Salk has noticeably more dynamic range.  It keeps dialog clear sounding over a wider range of volume – it does work better.  We had a Friday movie night and saw The Adjustment Bureau, a typical DVD with standard DD sound track.  I had noticed possible differences earlier, but last night made me feel more certain about it.

For music, so far I still think I prefer 2-channel over >2 channels, but that may vary with my mood and the choice of music.  That judgement is still out.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2011, 10:31 pm »
It's been a few weeks with the new SongCenter, and I can confidently say that for movies it is an improvement over my previous NHT SuperCenter.  The NHT was neutral in tone balance and was very good for voices, but the Salk has noticeably more dynamic range.  It keeps dialog clear sounding over a wider range of volume – it does work better.  We had a Friday movie night and saw The Adjustment Bureau, a typical DVD with standard DD sound track.  I had noticed possible differences earlier, but last night made me feel more certain about it.

For music, so far I still think I prefer 2-channel over >2 channels, but that may vary with my mood and the choice of music.  That judgement is still out.

Thanks for the update. :)