where can I listen to Super V's in SE Wisconsin?

fishboat

where can I listen to Super V's in SE Wisconsin?
« on: 10 Jan 2013, 11:44 pm »
I've been thinking about building a pair of Super V's..naturally I'd like to give a pair a listen.

Any help is appreciated..

jparkhur

Re: where can I listen to Super V's in SE Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2013, 12:06 am »
????? I thought I did a pair for someone in Chicago.   ??????

fishboat

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2013, 01:06 am »
Chicago is a big town..I gotta believe there's a pair or two down there somewhere...

You're up in Lacrosse I think..are you running a pair?  Long drive..but I've done a road trip or two in the past.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:30 am »
The closest I've heard from an AC member is in Michigan when another person was looking for a demo.

JP, I thought I read in another thread somewhere that you are hanging up the tools?  Sorry to hear it, as your work is top notch and if I were ever to (finally!) get off the fence with my pair of coaxes and build out a pair of super-v for myself, you would have been my go-to guy.

Best of luck finding your demo, fishboat!  Wish I could help more. :)

tasar

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2013, 03:50 pm »
Soon as the BIG Lake freezes we'll send the iceboats over and get you back to Traverse City. COLD ride but admission is free with lasting memory. THINK ICE

Cheeseboy

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2013, 11:44 pm »
I still believe those are the classiest Super V's ever built.

fishboat

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2013, 12:39 am »
I've traded a couple emails offline with a guy that's just finishing a pair of SV's...gorgeous..he'll be posting something before too long.

Still looking for a good listen...somewhere within shooting range.   

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:02 am »
I've traded a couple emails offline with a guy that's just finishing a pair of SV's...gorgeous..he'll be posting something before too long.

Thanks for the compliments :)

I posted some pics here finally!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78237.msg1181071#msg1181071

Steve.

tasar

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2013, 08:40 pm »
Thanks again for the compliment Cheeseboy. So here's some of that veneer one can expect from Franks. Rift sawn White Oak. Eye candy for us "woodies". You can't do this with paintbrush, spray or sponge.

wshuff

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm »
Those are beautiful! I imagine that's what Amish speakers would look like if they weren't against electricity.

tasar

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2013, 11:16 pm »
Not to belabor the point or be political, but I have Amish friends and know their pulse. For them, it is not the science such as electricity, but the control thereof. Many an Amish shop creates power from a fossil fuel. Generation is internal, typically sourced from the PTO of a John Deere, then to a generator, pneumatic or hydraulic featured reservoir. It's all about "control". They embrace stored energy so battery powered audio is a montra. We think this is a cool alternative, for them, a fact of life. Anyway, wood is in their veins, and rift sawn would be considered vain as in embellishment, for those considering themselves as "plain". Thanks for the compliment and opportunity to shed some light ( alright, sound-off).

wshuff

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2013, 05:26 am »
Interesting information. There were several Amish families in my old community but I knew none personally. Your post explains some things I always considered curious.   I have no idea what sort of furniture or woodworking the families had in their own homes, but the things they sold to the public were beautiful, not what I'd call plain.

As for your speakers, they look so nice I can smell them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2013, 06:01 am »
They are gorgeoous ... awesome  :thumb:

gab

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:16 pm »
beautiful! What are the black footers?

gab

tasar

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:37 pm »
Those footers are very high end NHL release special formulated pucks. I could be snakeoil-like and say they improve the sound, but that would not be truthful. Boy do they help slide these 166lb puppies around!!!!
Thanks for the compliments, but i have to credit mother nature, she did all the work!!!

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2013, 05:12 pm »
The pucks are a great  idea

fishboat

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:59 am »
I've built a  number of things out of quarter sawn white oak & that looks to be qs to me. With rift sawn you won't see near as many 'flames'.

This my vanity, mirror, & mantle from the last few years: