Stevenkelby's Super V build thread.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Stevenkelby's Super V build thread.
« Reply #60 on: 8 May 2010, 03:51 am »
Thanks Dave, can't wait to put the BUSSes to use in a system with Super Vs.

Right now one is doing duty on my headphone amp (b22) where it really lowers the noise floor, love it :)

Thanks,

Steve
I'm very happy to see this. 

Wait until you hear the Super vs.  Amazing, they are.

Dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #61 on: 8 May 2010, 04:18 am »
Hang in there: Danny is tenacious.

Dave

Tenacious Danny,,, any relation to Kyle Gass?  :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 28 May 2010, 01:24 pm »
Steve,

Everything has been accounted for now, re-boxed heavy duty style, and on its way to you.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2010, 01:26 pm »
Great, thanks tenacious Danny :)

Rclark

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:22 am »

What is that thing it looks amazing :o

stevenkelby

« Reply #65 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:01 am »
Evolution Acoustics MM3

:)

I won't be going for that look, just thought they were interesting. Heard them at the CES 2009. Big sound. Not bad :)

lord dubious

« Reply #66 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:28 am »
Hi stevenkelby
Any progress to report?
Cheers

stevenkelby

« Reply #67 on: 12 Aug 2010, 07:03 am »
Hi stevenkelby
Any progress to report?
Cheers

Nope! Still waiting for delivery of that last crate with the Super V drivers, it's in Australia as of this week and should be delivered in a week or so which is good! Just had to pay $670 AUD import charges though which isn't! Nothing can be done about that, same for anyone bringing in a big box. Not even tax or duty were charged as it was under $1000 AUD for this box, just port charges, broker fees, quarantine insppection, delivery fees etc.

Should beable to get started on them in a couple weeks though which is exciting!

stevenkelby

« Reply #68 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:17 am »
Good news, the final shipment just showed up all safe and undamaged, those Super V coax's are BIG!

Have a big car bill to pay and then I'll get these cabinets built, can't wait :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #69 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:03 pm »
Good news, the final shipment just showed up all safe and undamaged, those Super V coax's are BIG!

Have a big car bill to pay and then I'll get these cabinets built, can't wait :)

Awesome!. It is good to hear that they finally made it.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #70 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm »

Glad to see that you finally have all of the goodies to put your system together.  You are a man with a plan, for sure.  Good on you, mate.

That coax is a big 'un for sure!  I've mounted a lot of big drivers and have a couple of words of wisdom.  The best way that I have found to mount drivers like this is to use threaded inserts, not 'T' nuts or bolts and washers.  Use something like these:

When you drill the hole for these, drill a stepped hole.  Drill a pilot hole that you can thread to match the screw/bolt that you will be using.  Then enlarge that hole (on the back side) to the diameter recommended for the insert that you are using, but only deep enough to accept the insert.  Thread the insert in and then, using the insert as a guide, tap the wood the size of the fastener.  Almost done - now saturate the wood/MDF/whatever with thin CA glue.  Let it set and then saturate one more time.  Chase the threads with the tap and you are done.  I have never had a problem since I went to this method and the screws/bolts stay tight.

YMMV.

Dave

stevenkelby

« Reply #71 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:02 am »
Thanks Danny and Dave.

Those inserts look ideal, where would I get them?

Will send an email to you fishing for info :)

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #72 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:10 am »
Just had to pay $670 AUD import charges though which isn't! Nothing can be done about that, same for anyone bringing in a big box.

Hi... I brought in five whole crates a few years ago and paid less than that I'm pretty sure. Did you elect to do your own brokerage or have someone do it for you? Just curious... ;)  :D

stevenkelby

« Reply #73 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:17 am »
Hi... I brought in five whole crates a few years ago and paid less than that I'm pretty sure. Did you elect to do your own brokerage or have someone do it for you? Just curious... ;)  :D

Hi John,

The company did it for me, DB Schenker. They cae to a port in Perth and I'm in Adelaide, hence the higher delivery cost.

Here's the breakdown for those curious :)

JohnR

« Reply #74 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:54 am »
Hm... well perhaps my memory is just hazy. I have to say I'm not looking forward to doing something like that again, dealing with the hustle and bustle of the port  :o  Now all that aside who knows, perhaps one day I will get to hear the results of your build, that would be cool  :D

stevenkelby

« Reply #75 on: 24 Aug 2010, 11:33 am »
Costs vary wildly, never know what it's going to come to I guess.

If you come to Adelaide when they are done you're welcome to a listen, could be a few months though :)

stevenkelby

« Reply #76 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:24 pm »
Hey Danny, did you get the emails I sent re getting some Sonicap Platinums?

I know you've been at RMAF of course so no rush, just when you get a chance :)

stevenkelby

« Reply #77 on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:44 am »
Email replied, thanks Danny!

stevenkelby

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:01 am »
I've had them up and playing for a month or 2 now. Been meaning to start a new thread but wanted to finish the side panels perfectly first.

A few people have asked though so I'll put some quick pics here for now, more info and pics to come :)

I can get the side panels and bow tie all perfectly flat and mirror finished, just needs more coats and sanding, will get to it soon.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to come for a listen anytime if they are keen for a listen. I'm in Stirling in the Adelaide Hills. Just PM or email to set up a time.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice during the build, too many to list!

Steve.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #79 on: 22 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm »
Steve,
Very nice build!  Looks great!  :D