Rush: Moving Pictures 24bit/96KHz HD Tracks download!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Just got the email today and downloaded the files.

Sounds very good so far.  Need to compare it to the MFSL CD version!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Rush: Moving Pictures 24bit/96KHz HD Tracks download!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:00 pm »
Cool!!

Will probably grab it later.

George

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:01 pm »
Got the DVD-A yesterday.  The M-C mix is interesting to say the least with additional sounds, percussion, and effects.  Haven't listened enough to pass judgement, but so far so good.

I'm going to rip the stereo 24/96 mix to FLAC tonight.

rms

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:05 pm »
Okay - so how does it sound? Worth the 18 bucks? (I'm guessing YES!) Just want to check before I go downloading. I can never buy just one album from HDTracks, there's just so much great stuff.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm »
Have not heard it on the big rig at this point.  Sounded very good on the living room system!   :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2011, 12:12 am »
Agree that buying the disc is the way to go if you have DVD-Audio capability, as you can rip the 2 channel and have 5.1 as a bonus.   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:02 am »
Agree that buying the disc is the way to go if you have DVD-Audio capability, as you can rip the 2 channel and have 5.1 as a bonus.   :thumb:

Duh... :duh:

My DVD-A will be here on Saturday.  I will rip from that vs. buying from HDTracks.

George

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:02 am »
can you rip a dvd-a with db poweramp.
I'm not sure how to rip a dvd-a.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:37 am »
can you rip a dvd-a with db poweramp.
I'm not sure how to rip a dvd-a.

Mr. Bill, there's some info in a sticky at:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69151.0

I use DVD-A Explorer with good results. Mac version is broken: won't allow you to rip.

EDS_

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2011, 05:01 am »
Man I am jazzed about this.  Living in the Limelight Baby!

What an awesome work.  I can't wait to hear what you guys think about the the hi-rez version.

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2011, 02:30 pm »
Like Tommy & Gaucho (at least), I think this download is priced too high compared to the DVD-A's (or Bluray in this case) which offer both a hard copy and 5.1 versions compared to the HDTracks version.  DVD-Audio Extractor (Windows) will rip both DVD-V audio and DVD-A audio.

ratso

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm »
went back and listened to the cd of snakes and ladders. i love that cd. but i have to admit, of all bands that this suprises me about, for some reason i am really shocked that rush has such overcompressed crappy sounding studio cd's.

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:34 pm »
Like Tommy & Gaucho (at least), I think this download is priced too high compared to the DVD-A's (or Bluray in this case) which offer both a hard copy and 5.1 versions compared to the HDTracks version.  DVD-Audio Extractor (Windows) will rip both DVD-V audio and DVD-A audio.

Seems high, but it's all relative.  It's not like I'm going to have a library filled with these $18 albums.  I'll pay this for the few I download.  Although, the Gaucho and the Rush albums are pretty short for the $$, Tommy is quite a bit of music for the money, comparatively speaking that is...

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:37 am »
Seems high, but it's all relative.  It's not like I'm going to have a library filled with these $18 albums.  I'll pay this for the few I download.  Although, the Gaucho and the Rush albums are pretty short for the $$, Tommy is quite a bit of music for the money, comparatively speaking that is...

My point was for that same $18 (or maybe ~$20) you can a hard copy of the same stereo hi-res PLUS 5.1 hi-res.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2011, 02:47 am »
I didn't know DVD-A were still being released.

Russtafarian

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:06 am »
Just as classical music is keeping SACD afloat, hard rock is pitching its tent in the DVD-A camp with Steven Wilson remixing and releasing all the Porcupine Tree and King Crimson titles on DVD-A.  Now Rush has joined in with this release.

May just be temporary until BR fully takes over, but who knows at this point.

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:23 pm »
And the new Insurgentes dvda from Steven Wilson is an excellent example of a great hi-rez recording. I A/B'd that one and the difference is night and day.  Plus, it's a great album too!  In fact, most of his stuff, from Blackfield to Porcupine Tree and everything in-between is very well produced to start with. 

In my opinion, the new hi rez version of Rush's Moving Pictures from HD Tracks is no improvement whatsoever. I A/B'd it and heard no difference, or the differences were so subtle that I couldn't tell if it was my imagination. Disappointing.  Pretty much a waste of $18 if you ask me. 

If you hear a difference post it!  I'd like to hear other impressions.

rms

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:07 pm »
And the new Insurgentes dvda from Steven Wilson is an excellent example of a great hi-rez recording. I A/B'd that one and the difference is night and day.  Plus, it's a great album too!  In fact, most of his stuff, from Blackfield to Porcupine Tree and everything in-between is very well produced to start with. 

In my opinion, the new hi rez version of Rush's Moving Pictures from HD Tracks is no improvement whatsoever. I A/B'd it and heard no difference, or the differences were so subtle that I couldn't tell if it was my imagination. Disappointing.  Pretty much a waste of $18 if you ask me. 

If you hear a difference post it!  I'd like to hear other impressions.

Thanks for the heads up Kirch, I'll definately hold off on that one for now. I'm going to check out Steve Wilson's stuff though. Any others you recommend please post 'em!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:15 pm »
Someone asked about whether DVD-A's are still being released, while others are asking for Steve Wilson''s work.  Here's something to kind of kill two birds.
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/dvdalist.htm
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

By the way, Steve Wilson is rumored to have just finished the surround mix for Caravan's "In The Land Of Grey And Pink".   :thumb:

Russtafarian

« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2011, 05:17 pm »
Steve Wilson/Porcupine Tree/King Crimson DVD-As available at www.burningshed.com