Bryston's new SOTA Pre-amp?

rob80b

Bryston's new SOTA Pre-amp?
« on: 26 Nov 2013, 06:08 pm »

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.700

Not too sure if Bryston has a new pre-amp in the works but after trying the BHA-1 in a minimalist set-up it has proved itsself as quite the performer.
I never did hear the BP26 but from memory the BHA-1 is a big step up from previous BP25P which I sadly confessed was replaced unexpectedly by a very affordable made in China Emotiva USP-1, so I was losing faith as a long time Bryston devotee, the BHA-1 so far has restored my confidence.
Aside from the sonic improvement, the most obvious is the physical topography, which obviously appears to be a fairly radical departure from their previous offerings from the vintage .5 to the BP26, which I’m sure accounts for IMHO the sonic improvements.

BP25/BP26

BHA-1

My previous BP25 was neutral to a “T” but the BHA-1 has brought something new to the table, it just sounds faultless, the treble region comes across, if I can say “purer”.
I’m not too sure if this comes as a result because as a headphone amp any noise or distortion would be immediately noticeable and using phones would be akin to putting something under a microscope, although if I read correctly the BHA-1 was an off shoot from the development of the SP3’s analogue section.

Anyway I’d be very interested in hearing from anyone else who may have had a chance to compare the BHA-1 as a preamp, or am I just talking through my hat. :scratch:

Your turn James!   
« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 04:10 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

Re: Bryston's new SOTA Pre-amp?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2013, 06:33 pm »
OK, just came across this.

"For sound quality, the Bryston does exceptionally well. This is especially truewith a balanced input. It may in fact sound better than a Bryston standalone stereo preamp since the discrete operational amplifiers used here are of a new iteration developed for the new Bryston Surround processor."
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1212/headphone_amplifier_shootout.htm

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2013, 06:45 pm »
Hi Folks,

OK the best way to understand the different preamps is that they all use the same fully discrete Bryston proprietary gain stages (no IC's).  But the circuit layout and the amount of 'current' the gain stages handle are different as well as the newer preamps use 'surface mount' technology as opposed to the older 'hole-through' on the circuit boards.

james

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:09 pm »
Thank James.

One could see that as an improvement as the SMT approach does eliminate a lot of through board connections in the overall circuit and from what I’ve read does provide better overall electrical performance which may account for what I perceive as better high frequency clarity. 
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm by rob80b »

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:08 am »
  So what are you connecting this to for a power amp?  what would be the bass quality. My BP25  has even gotten better by connecting the amps in balance mode ( to  a 4bST). Another thing to think about( if it is important to you) is the absence of polarity reverse and tape loop selection . These are hallmarks of a preamp  for me at least. (IMO) The remote is needed to save me from wading through the empty wine bottles to make volume adjustments     :lol:

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:52 am »
  So what are you connecting this to for a power amp?  what would be the bass quality. My BP25  has even gotten better by connecting the amps in balance mode ( to  a 4bST). Another thing to think about( if it is important to you) is the absence of polarity reverse and tape loop selection . These are hallmarks of a preamp  for me at least. (IMO) The remote is needed to save me from wading through the empty wine bottles to make volume adjustments     :lol:

Hi Redbook,

4BSST need you ask, powering my Dynaudio Special 25s, BCD-1 as source!!

But I was was not initially referring to the BHA-1 as the new SOTA but if there is one in the works, and just to quote myself.

Too bad there’s no HT pass through, remote and bass management, other wise the BHA-1 would stay right up front, plus the silver doesn’t match the rest of my equipment. :scratch:
Maybe there’s a BP30 in the works!   :)

The BP17 also stems from the same recent developments if I understood properly but no balanced in, would have loved for a bass management on that one for HT as some of us live in smaller dwellings so Stereo and HT double up in the same room.

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:55 am »
delete

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2013, 04:08 am »
 Sounds good :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2013, 12:34 am »
For historical reference a vintage .4 Preamp.

I did a bit of comparisons here with the BHA-1.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/560499/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston/1275#post_10018399