BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #700 on: 11 Nov 2013, 02:35 am »
Thinking of finally changing my current head-fi set-up, B60R and 2BLP pro, next month with the BHA-1 as a birthday gift to myself.

Well, just pulled the trigger on a used BHA-1, should be here within the week or least for my birthday on the 18th.  I'll keep everyone posted, curious how it will stack up to my current combo, just might be time to mod the the K701 cable for balanced configuration. :D

Zolty

« Reply #701 on: 11 Nov 2013, 02:42 am »
Happy Birthday rob80b!
I am sure you'll enjoy BHA-1, and 99% sure you'll enjoy it even more when going fully balanced (IC and headphone cable).
I  tried few ICs - balanced makes a big difference, can not wait to get back home and order balanced cable for HD800.
Next step - power cord. I do not want to open can of worms, but even such a sceptical person as I am could hear the difference between power cords connected to BHA-1.

rmurray

« Reply #702 on: 11 Nov 2013, 12:36 pm »
Yes ,one for the power cord team, :thumb:

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #703 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:06 pm »
Here is another one for the balanced solution!

Have just connected the new balanced senn cable to my hd800 (to the BHA-1, but you probabely guessed that). Would have to be completely deaf not to hear the difference. The 3d like rendition of the music is incredable. Have my BDA conected via balanced XLR cables (Siltech) to the BHA, but have never tried other cables, so do not know the synergy here. Have completed several extended listning sessions at times switching cables and my single ended cables are now for sale.

Cheers,
Bob

Marius

« Reply #704 on: 15 Nov 2013, 06:40 am »
Hi Bob,
Know the  feeling, amazing isn't it? Wonderful
Combination indeed.
Are these Sennheiser originals ? I've made my own balanced cables out if the accompanying standard cable. Would be interested whether an original Senn balanced cable would be any better?

Have a link for that ?

Cheers!
Marius

Ps reconnecting the BDA to the BP26 through the balanced connection gives the same experience. That's why we're hoping for a balanced pass through someday...

Here is another one for the balanced solution!

Have just connected the new balanced senn cable to my hd800 (to the BHA-1, but you probabely guessed that). Would have to be completely deaf not to hear the difference. The 3d like rendition of the music is incredable. Have my BDA conected via balanced XLR cables (Siltech) to the BHA, but have never tried other cables, so do not know the synergy here. Have completed several extended listning sessions at times switching cables and my single ended cables are now for sale.

Cheers,
Bob

rob80b

« Reply #705 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:50 pm »
Out with the old, In with the new!

Thinking of finally changing my current head-fi set-up, B60R and 2BLP pro, next month with the BHA-1 as a birthday gift to myself.

Only managed to squeeze in a short listen, very analogue sounding off the BCD-1 and the K701’s displayed a much better organized sound field, the imaging was more naturally spread left to right as opposed to being either left or right with a distant centre image, nice.
Timbre was spot on from what I can hear, cymbals having a natural shimmer, bass I will need to do more listening.
One large caveat though which other have pointed out is the volume control, with the single ended out high gain, having very little change between 10 and 4 o’clock and only kicks in at the 5 o’clock to max location with the K701s with louder CDs, with the Grado SR325i’s I had problems getting a proper balance between almost loud enough to too loud with quieter CDs, vinyl will obviously be problematic.
Currently I’m running 30ft shielded RCAs from the front to my listening position at the back, so I may run the BCD-1 balanced and the rest single ended from the Pre-amp.

If I’m so inclined I may rewire the K701s this weekend with the 4 pin balanced connection, hopefully that will help with most of the listening.
Anyway I leave more impressions once I have time.

rob80b

« Reply #706 on: 15 Nov 2013, 11:08 pm »
Well a few interesting hours doing some comparisons between the stand alone BHA-1 and the BHA-1 as a pre for the Bryston 2BLP pro.
Music Selection:
Fluke “Puppy”, Kathleen Battle “Grace”, Massive Attack “Mezzanine”, Underworld Dark and Long” and Stravinsky “Petruska” (conducted by Stravinsky 1960).

Source: Bryston BCD-1 from tape-outs on my pre with a 25’ run of BlueJeans RCA LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cables to the BHA-1 behind the couch.

Headphones. (all single ended) AKG K701, AKG K501, Grado SR325i and Sennheiser HD580s (with 600 grills and HD650 cable).

First up using the AKG K701s both setups were delicate, Kathleen Battle’s voice soared upward with a natural clarity without reserve. Stravinsky’s symphony was well laid out with discernable imaging with front to back layering, midrange being well defined and the crescendos had weight and impact with excellent tightness and definition.
The techno selections also fared very well and a joy to listen to. :)

The Grado SR325i’s also performed similarly, but what’s interesting is that do to the odd volume control they were close to the K701s on the dial, normally there is a much bigger spread. Now it’s known both the Grados (32 ohms) and AKGs (62 ohms) like current and that may be the deciding factor which allowed them both to perform at their best, which speaks a lot for the BHA-1 in supplying necessary current.

The Sennheiser HD580/600 at 300 ohms did not scale as well, previously on prior setups I found the inefficient K701s (at least as far as bass is concerned) needed more gain but here it was the reverse, even maxed out the BHA-1 could not supply enough volume, they’re probably the most likely candidate for the first balanced cable up grade.

Compared to my previous set-up using the Bryston B60R as a pre for the 2B was also fine, although not as delicate, maybe because I had to use an unbalanced to balanced adapter where as the BHA-1 and 2B are balanced through out.

Overall though once I was able to match unity gain between the BHA-1 and the BHA-1/2BLP pro combo I was hard pressed to discern an obvious differences, if any; the similarity I would have to attribute to the preamp section of the BHA-1.

I’ll need to dig a bit more into the forums to see if balanced headphones resolve the volume issue, because as it stands now it is very difficult with single ended phones (at least it is for the phones I have on hand) to adjust from almost 5 o’clock, which is almost there and then a little incremental nudge makes it too loud with some recordings.  :scratch: (solved see next post)

Setting the 2BLP pros dial for unity gain with the BHA-1 produced the same results when monitoring, with the gain on the 2B maxed the volume control on the BHA-1 was more linear much like the B60 and BP25, with most listening between 9 and 1 o’clock on the dial depending on the source.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2013, 04:40 am by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #707 on: 16 Nov 2013, 12:43 am »

I’ll need to dig a bit more into the forums to see if balanced headphones resolve the volume issue because as it stands now it is very difficult with single ended phones (at least it is for the phones I have on hand) to adjust from almost 5 o’clock, which is almost there and then a little incremental nudge makes it too loud with some recordings.  :scratch:

Setting the 2BLP pros dial for unity gain with the BHA-1 produced the same results when monitoring, with the gain on the 2B maxed the volume control on the BHA-1 was more linear much like the B60 and BP25, with most listening between 9 and 1 o’clock on the dial depending on the source.

Update:
Managed to hook the BCD-1 up directly with balanced cables which has resolved the volume control issue with CDs so that the it now functions  best between 9 and 1 o'clock, so plenty of gain if needed  :thumb:

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #708 on: 16 Nov 2013, 12:51 pm »
Hi Bob,
Know the  feeling, amazing isn't it? Wonderful
Combination indeed.
Are these Sennheiser originals ? I've made my own balanced cables out if the accompanying standard cable. Would be interested whether an original Senn balanced cable would be any better?

Have a link for that ?

Hi Marius,

It is an orig senn cable, partnumber CH 800 S. Would assume that putting an XLR ending on the stock cable has a similar effect. Have no personal experience in this. Have a great dealer that tried out the Cardas cable, but this did not provide a clear gain (despite 750 vs 300 euro, oouuch). As we share the love for "say the Harmonia Mundi" portfolio, I agree we are best of with this combination (with the possible exception of the more esoteric offerings from Stax). For the "more contemporary" music: I can not wait to have my Grado's reterminated.

Cheers, Bob

hardwarenick

« Reply #709 on: 16 Nov 2013, 01:28 pm »
Anyone here with a BHA-1 try using an aftermarket power cable?

I'm having issues fitting an Isotek EVO3 Premier cable to the BHA-1 IEC input because of the protruding fuse drawer. Driving me nuts - anyone know of any work arounds / good cables that fit?

Marius

« Reply #710 on: 16 Nov 2013, 07:47 pm »
Hi Bob,

Is this the one: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd800-xlr-connecting-cable.html ?

Seems to be the same cable , only with another, Sennheiser, XLR. If one can believe the photo that is.. That cost you 300E? Boy, a long way from the 125 i paid for an extra standard cable redone with Neutrik XLR.

Marius

Hi Marius,

It is an orig senn cable, partnumber CH 800 S. Would assume that putting an XLR ending on the stock cable has a similar effect. Have no personal experience in this. Have a great dealer that tried out the Cardas cable, but this did not provide a clear gain (despite 750 vs 300 euro, oouuch). As we share the love for "say the Harmonia Mundi" portfolio, I agree we are best of with this combination (with the possible exception of the more esoteric offerings from Stax). For the "more contemporary" music: I can not wait to have my Grado's reterminated.

Cheers, Bob

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #711 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:12 pm »
Yep,

Seems like the same. Does have Sennheiser on the plug, should be worth the extra cash. Really fIts like glove in the xlr-port of the BHA. As the Grado does not seem to have a detachable cable, I am tempted to follow your Neutronic example. Conviced it will make a huge difference. Single ended the comparison was a matter of taste and sort of music. Now the Grado is blown away completely, even on its home turf.

Regards,
Bob

mkaiser

« Reply #712 on: 17 Nov 2013, 06:48 am »
Happy Birthday rob80b!
I am sure you'll enjoy BHA-1, and 99% sure you'll enjoy it even more when going fully balanced (IC and headphone cable).
I  tried few ICs - balanced makes a big difference, can not wait to get back home and order balanced cable for HD800.
Next step - power cord. I do not want to open can of worms, but even such a sceptical person as I am could hear the difference between power cords connected to BHA-1.

I have the Cardas Clear Balanced headphone cable with HD800 plugs for sale if you are interested.

rob80b

« Reply #713 on: 19 Nov 2013, 04:22 am »

So far the BHA-1 is living up to all its hype, but in the meantime I’ve managed to managed to wire up the Sennheisers and AKG K701s with 4 pin XLRs and made up a 4 pin XLR to single ended adapter,  I appreciate the extra gain especially with the Senns, but through extended listening I’ve yet to hear any discernible difference between single and balanced connections. 
The biggest improvement has come about with the use of Canare L-4E6S on the Senns, I noticed a similar result when I re-wired my AKG K501s with the same cable years ago, listening to Leslie Feist’s album “The Reminder”, the result was smooth sailing with plenty of detail all the way, the AKG K701s with the re-wired balanced stock cable was a bit too hot, prior to using the Canare cable on the Senns I preferred the K701s.
Should note that the Canare cable is fairly thick so best left for stationary listening.

Overall though the BHA-1 IMHO has really pulled out all the stops and I can really appreciate the different sonic signatures with all my phones, they all sound excellent in their own way.

Another unexpected attribute is running my Bryston 2BLP pro off the BHA-1s XLR outputs, previously I had always used an RCA to balance adapter to accommodate the B60’s pre-out, which I now know is a big “No No”, the 2BLP would previously get fairly hot even with headphones, now it stays cool and as far as I can tell matches the sonic attributes of the BHA-1 headphone outs.
The power hungry AKG K501s run off the headphone jack of the 2BLP pro which offers more than enough power for any headphone is now my “go to” set-up to chill out, which I attribute to the quality of the BHA-1s preamp section.

A by and large a win win situation  :thumb:, at least for me, from my previous set-up and a much appreciated birthday gift to myself. :green:

rob80b

« Reply #714 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:45 am »
Just to see is if the above mentioned attributes transfer over to using the BHA-1 as a preamp I managed to hook it up front and put it through its paces.
Basically your purist set-up, BCD-1, BHA-1, 4BSST and the Dynaudio Special 25s.

In a nut shell I heard the best reproduction of cymbals that I’ve had the pleasure of hearing, definitely one up on my previous BP25P which was true to its numbers but which I have to confess I felt was getting a little long in tooth and was replaced by the very affordable Emotiva USP-1 this year to accommodate HT bypass with sub woofer management, but only because the EMO IMHO did sound better even with the phono, sad to say. :(
Needless, I was losing faith in my coveted Bryston, but the BHA-1 in its minimalist approach has brought a whole new sound to the playing field, the word that comes to mind is “Crystal Clear”.
My biggest caveat with the BP25P, at least in system, was the lack of distinct layering and depth with the Dynaudio Special 25s, the USP-1 resolved and that and was what made me question the BP25s resolving power.
The BHA-1s imaging prowess IMHO, at least from what I’ve heard so far is second to none; width, layering and depth is very distinct, with no doubling up, the full audio spectrum appears to have better resolve top to bottom. 
As I mentioned cymbals took on a new vitality, they were distinctively real when listening to John Surman’s “Stranger Than Fiction”, very silky but not in the bright sort of way, just right, the same being said for the piano and Surmans sax, the drums displaying that tactile feel.
Just to change pace I threw on some Techno, Underworld’s  “second toughest in the infants” expecting the clarity of the BHA-1 would have be reaching the volume knob, which was not to be, sat down and listened again through the whole album. The bass was extremely well resolute and again with the resolving power of the BHA-1 the music was a pleasure to listen to.
So once more as with the SST series, the BCD-1 and now the BHA-1 Bryston continues to show what can be done, thanks guys! :thumb:
Too bad there’s no HT pass through, remote and bass management, other wise the BHA-1 would stay right up front, plus the silver doesn’t match the rest of my equipment. :scratch:
Maybe there’s a BP30 in the works!   :)

Zolty

« Reply #715 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:29 am »
Thank for your post.  I am planning to expand my system by adding amp and speakers and was not aurę od BHzA-1 would do the Job ad a pre amp. Seems it will.

rob80b

« Reply #716 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm »
Thank for your post.  I am planning to expand my system by adding amp and speakers and was not aurę od BHzA-1 would do the Job ad a pre amp. Seems it will.

Hi Zolty

It's taken some time, if you consider that I first suggested the idea of a head amp to James back in 2004
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13425.msg115324
 Although rarely an early adapter I have a tendency to wait until the dust settles, patience does have it's reward.
So if you've been looking for the proverbial "straight wire with gain" the BHA-1 does a commendable job.

Zolty

« Reply #717 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm »
I was thinking about ATC SCM 11 (or 40 - room accoustics permitting), then option was either integrated amp ATC SIA2-150, or just a power amp hooked up to BHA-1.
I am not looking for any add:-ons from pre (bulb sound, extra musicality or so) thus will give it a try with both options.
Fortunately ATC dealer is flexible and would drive 150 miles with any equipment to let me audition in in my room. Priceless.
I'ok just ask him to take two pairs of columns, two amps and pile of cables.
Thanks for the info, at least I know it's worth trying with Bryston as preamp.

rob80b

« Reply #718 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:14 am »
My Dynaudio Special 25s are tenacious at revealing any anomalies up stream, which speaks wonders for the BHA-1 and the BCD-1.

Too bad there’s no HT pass through, remote and bass management, other wise the BHA-1 would stay right up front, plus the silver doesn’t match the rest of my equipment. :scratch:
Maybe there’s a BP30 in the works!   :)
Also it just occurred to me that I can have my cake and eat it too, seeing that my HT setup is all unbalanced,
it’s just a matter of returning a balanced signal from the BHA-1 to the 4BSST and flick it’s input switches for critical listening. :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #719 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:37 am »
Thought I’d give some more listening impressions but with the Grado SR325i’s unbalanced stepping up to the bat.

Sitting down with Einsturzende Neubauten double disc “Strategies Against Architecture IV” this evening I was bombarded with a vast array of arrangements and percussive instrumentation but what I noticed more than I have before was that the phones themselves were conspicuous by their absence.
As I mentioned before the BHA-1 appears to bring out the best in each head-set, the Grados this time doing the disappearing act, the recording existing within and around my head but my attention was never drawn to the phones themselves, much akin to having a system where loudspeakers disappear in the room. I then tried the AKG and Senns but with their larger casings (micro vibrations?) it was not as convincing but the BHA-1 still pulled this off more than I can remember with other head-amps.