"belt" for the Amadeus

mick wolfe

"belt" for the Amadeus
« on: 20 Aug 2019, 02:33 am »
Yesterday I finally got around to making a couple .004 poly belts for my Amadeus. I used a black poly thread that seemed to work just fine, but it sure isn't the easiest to see and work with. I know this is tired subject matter, but has anyone successfully come up with an alternate belt material? I can live with the .004 poly thread if push comes to shove, but let's just say I'm curious as to alternates. Also found an interesting comment in the manual. When getting the measurements to built a jig for the belts, I noticed a little note saying to cut off the excess thread when the belt is successfully tied, but leave 10mm tails minimum. I did just that, but I'm wondering what the reasoning is here.

VinceT

Re: "belt" for the Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2021, 02:55 am »
Any idea where to source this thread?

I looked at Google already, really didn't see much available. Would fishing line work?

They make a braided line .004
 Diameter, wonder if it is worth experimenting or to stick with the poly material?

I am having some issues with the speed of my turntable. I have it turned as high as it will go and only getting to about 28 rpm. Hoping a belt change would work, want to rule that out before looking at the motor.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:28 am »
Any idea where to source this thread?

I have bought a kit created by the UK distributor call WELL TEMPERED LAB AMADEUS BELT KIT from an online retailer that included instructions, 2 pins and 400 meters of thread.
The thread included is this one:
https://www.sulky.com/catalog/sub/sulky-invisible-polyester-thread-440-yd-snap-spools

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:45 pm »
I have bought a kit created by the UK distributor call WELL TEMPERED LAB AMADEUS BELT KIT from an online retailer that included instructions, 2 pins and 400 meters of thread.
The thread included is this one:
https://www.sulky.com/catalog/sub/sulky-invisible-polyester-thread-440-yd-snap-spools

Thx for belt kit info. FWIW, Amazon is another good source for .004" polythread. The belt making key for me was an LED headlamp a friend had gifted me. I can now finally see what I'm doing. The "belt making" measurements given in the WTL manual were also on the money in my experience. In regard to the speed issue mentioned by Vince, I've never used anything but the strobe disk included with the Amadeus. I've always been able to adjust the speed without issue using the disk and it sounds spot on to me.

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:55 pm »
Thanks to both Mick and Glitchesbrew

Regarding the speed issue I use a cell phone app for now which I know isn't 100% accurate. It's apparent there is a speed issue. I am hoping it is a simple fix due to all the belts I own are stretched out and I need to source new ones. If it is a motor issue I think the only source in the States is the Dynavector dealer listed on the WTL website. My gut is telling me it is a motor, it was playing fine and all of a sudden just slowed way down mid song. Turned it off and checked the belt and turned the table back on. Played again for 30 seconds then speed dropped out again. Changed belts to what I had in inventory and tried adjusting the speed, speed adjustment maxed out to fastest setting it was still too slow.

RPM123

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2021, 04:13 pm »
For replacement belts, send a self addressed stamped envelop to:

DYNAVECTOR U.S.A
8116 Gravois Rd / St. Louis / MO 63123

The company will send you some.

EMAIL: info@dynavector-usa.com

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:41 pm »
For replacement belts, send a self addressed stamped envelop to:

DYNAVECTOR U.S.A
8116 Gravois Rd / St. Louis / MO 63123

The company will send you some.

EMAIL: info@dynavector-usa.com

I assume this is to goto in the States for any parts as well.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2021, 10:11 pm »
Yep...that's Mike Pranka.

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:42 am »

VinceT

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2021, 02:27 pm »
I sourced some of the sulky brand off Amazon for about 10 bucks. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Regarding the motor issue if that is in fact the problem I will spin up a new post not to take this one any further off course. There are some great YouTube videos how to make these belts, I find the dealer in New Zealand that has WTL content on youtube to be very informative.

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2021, 05:25 pm »
In my gallery is a pic that Mike Pranka sent me when I asked him what thread to get. The Coats and Clark mono thread. I assume anyone can find the pic, if not I can post it here if it will help. It’s a lifetime supply for I dunno maybe $5.

jjss49

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2021, 03:19 am »
Instructions for making belts are at the welltemperedlab.net blog
The correct thread is Coats Transparent and it comes only in clear and black:

https://www.amazon.com/CESDes-Transparent-Invisible-Threads-Polyester/dp/B07F1MS9GT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=coats+transparent+thread&qid=1617160672&sr=8-6

G E

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2021, 09:47 pm »
Instructions for making belts are at the welltemperedlab.net blog
The correct thread is Coats Transparent and it comes only in clear and black:

https://www.amazon.com/CESDes-Transparent-Invisible-Threads-Polyester/dp/B07F1MS9GT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=coats+transparent+thread&qid=1617160672&sr=8-6

This is the stuff I have. I got mine from JoAnne Fabric.

I struggled for years to make these.  I gave up and let Mike Pranka make them for me.

But then I found this video that makes it look simple... and it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8vhQuYP6XU