Class D versus the rest

OzarkTom

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #880 on: 11 Nov 2014, 07:10 am »

Have you tried turning off the clip limiter function? Just saw a review on Amazon from a guy saying it made quite a difference in sound quality.

I will check that out.

werd

« Reply #881 on: 11 Nov 2014, 07:22 am »
Amazon now has the 1500 for $325. And please, I do not work for or own Amazon.

I just love all of these Audiophiles that just knows how an amp sounds by just looking at the specs. :roll:
$325 ? Still too much  :lol:

dlaloum

« Reply #882 on: 11 Nov 2014, 09:52 am »
One warning - the XLS amps are designed for pro level inputs, not consumer line voltages - the standard 2V line voltage used for most consumer pre to amp signals is marginal (you will need to turn the amp gain up to max). - Yes it does have an onboard pre-amp and allows for adjustable crossovers , as well as bridged/monoblock config.

Replacing my overly sensitive Quad power amps (which use the old DIN standard of 500mV) with the pro level XLS (4V) did require some gain adjustment and adjustment of the pre output levels.

This is not likely to work with a passive pre, or with something like the classic Quad pre's (nice as they are!).

Most US or Japanese gear should be OK though (ie 2V output)

bye for now

David

rodge827

« Reply #883 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm »
In college I knew this girl who had amazing specs, Hugh Hefner would have taken notice, then she opened her mouth and... :o :? :nono: :scratch: :duh:

a.wayne

« Reply #884 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:13 pm »
They use a cowardly mid-band 1khz rating. The amp doesn't sit on 2ohms 20hz. It's done to conceal the true power nature of that amp. Who cares about 2ohm distortion when your amp ain't powering it or can't.  If you properly tested that amp in 2ohms that thing would flop around and die. It would go into protection. 

You want that little power supply to run and hide too, since the bass roll-off will save your distortion rating at frequencies 8ohms and higher.  Don't try to align this amps power to any thing Bryston gets or states.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

More Irony and ignorance werd,

Can a 14B do the same into 2 ohm ....  :lol:

The 2 ohm rating of many amplifiers applies to me and does so for many speakers , more than you would think, look at the imp/mag /phase of most speakers and you will see, I'm sure you can find someone to explain it to you . The real point is , the crown is no less stable at 2 ohm than a 14B which rolls over and hides on a 2 ohm load ,  as measured by stereophile, this is one of the very reasons i have stayed away from Bryston over the decades, so get off your high Horse and out of your glass house....

Freo-1

« Reply #885 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:19 pm »
In college I knew this girl who had amazing specs, Hugh Hefner would have taken notice, then she opened her mouth and... :o :? :nono: :scratch: :duh:

:rotflmao:     I think we have all been there at one time or another.

I'm always up for trying out new equipment.  On occasion, one gets a pleasant surprise.  That's what happened when I auditioned the Yamaha MX-D1.  Actually need to listen to something before voting on it up or down. 

a.wayne

« Reply #886 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:19 pm »
Amazon now has the 1500 for $325. And please, I do not work for or own Amazon.

I just love all of these Audiophiles that just knows how an amp sounds by just looking at the specs. :roll:

You can predict what it will sound like on different loads, if you have done enough bench testing to confirm /deny printed specs .....the real irony is Deh werd man is throwing ridicule at the crown where his own 14B fails, current limiting  ..... :lol:

What measurements cannot predict is what someone will like, that one comes only  from listening , personal preference and listening bias...

a.wayne

« Reply #887 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:24 pm »

How long did the marriage last .......... :scratch:

:lol:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #888 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:27 pm »
Latest...

Jackman/Roscoeiii- Chicago

rodge827- Jersey

mjosef- Brooklyn

SteveFord- PA

jtsnead- MD

Freo-1- MA

zapper7- NV

Pm me if you want to be added.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 10:01 pm by Tomy2Tone »

rodge827

« Reply #889 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:29 pm »
How long did the marriage last .......... :scratch:

Almost 9 years!  :duh:  :banghead: :duel: :stupid:

a.wayne

« Reply #890 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:31 pm »
9 yrs of good Specs ....... :rotflmao:

cab

« Reply #891 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:32 pm »

Think you are getting wrapped up in semantics

No, I am simply using the term as it is most commonly used. There is no conversion of the analog signal in this amp to digital and back again. From Wikipedia:

"Digital filter

In signal processing, a digital filter is a system that performs mathematical operations on a sampled, discrete-time signal to reduce or enhance certain aspects of that signal. This is in contrast to the other major type of electronic filter, the analog filter, which is an electronic circuit operating on continuous-time analog signals.

A digital filter system usually consists of an analog-to-digital converter to sample the input signal, followed by a microprocessor and some peripheral components such as memory to store data and filter coefficients etc. Finally a digital-to-analog converter to complete the output stage."

I think you are simply confused.....

Freo-1

« Reply #892 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:40 pm »
That's what a flash converter and a digital pulse width converter is:  It's DIGITAL. 

rodge827

« Reply #893 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:43 pm »
9 yrs of good Specs ....... :rotflmao:

Towards the end the specs began to sag and performance was intermittent. Finally it wouldn't turn on  :roll:, so I traded for a newer and more up to date model!  The sound is so much clearer with more of an emotional attachment.  :eyebrows:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #894 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:55 pm »
Towards the end the specs began to sag and performance was intermittent. Finally it wouldn't turn on  :roll:, so I traded for a newer and more up to date model!  The sound is so much clearer with more of an emotional attachment.  :eyebrows:

You guys are great! Too bad there's not a tour for that!

cab

« Reply #895 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:05 pm »
That's what a flash converter and a digital pulse width converter is:  It's DIGITAL.

That's the modulation scheme. The input signal is not converted to digital.

rodge827

« Reply #896 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:09 pm »

You guys are great! Too bad there's not a tour for that!

We would go to jail for that kind of tour!  :green:

I said, Pick up the soap!  :o

Not worth it!  :nono:

So we digress this can go on forever...I'll stop, and now back to you regularly scheduled nit picking...

Freo-1

« Reply #897 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:17 pm »
That's the modulation scheme. The input signal is not converted to digital.

Like I said, semantics.  :duh:

Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.   :duel:

a.wayne

« Reply #898 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:18 pm »

cab

« Reply #899 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:35 pm »
Saying or implying the amp is somehow "digital" because of the modulator is like saying a Chevy truck is electric because it has a battery...Call it semantics if you wish....