Class D versus the rest

strider

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #180 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:41 pm »
Design of the power supply is critical to the design of any amplifier of any class.  If you mean linear versus switch-mode supplies, there can be good and bad implementations of each.

So you want to reduce the output of the Ncores, which make 400 watts into 4 ohms, by using a differently power supply?  Unless you are up for experimenting and really know what you are doing, I don't think I'd fuss with different PS implementations.  That said, you almost certainly could run the amps with lower voltages -- and I think I recall the designer discussing that issue somewhere in the DIYaudio thread.  In my view, though, I don't think it makes a lot of sense unless you're up for an adventure.

Absolutely agree, the rest of the equipment's no good if the power supply isn't up to snuff. My comment was more directed toward the SMPS that are being used with the class D amps in general; there have been a few comments about the switching power supplies introducing artifacts noticeable if the power supply isn't designed well.

I haven't settled on a brand yet, just testing the waters right now. From perusing diyaudio.com, I'd seen the threads about the predecessor to the Ncore (UcD?). Now the Ncore stuff is blowing up here. The ClassD audio offerings have caught my eye as well. Nice to find that there are also other vendors that offer kits on Ebay and other sites.

Far as up for an adventure, not sure at this point. The first amp I built was an F5 clone, wading through the threads on diyaudio about the various output devices, configurations, etc etc I'm looking forward to something with pre populated boards and onboard Molex connectors.   :D

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #181 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:54 pm »
Strider and JohnR, my apologies for thinking Ncore...  (thanks for not pummeling me)

For what it's worth, JohnR's take on Connexelectronic matches mine.  I built (rather "assembled") a T2050-based amp from Hifimediy, and if they had been offering Connexelectronic power supplies when I ordered, I would have purchased one of their SMPS for the amp.  For under US$200 total, I'm really happy with that little amp. 

Early SMPS were a mess in audio applications, but they have been improved greatly.  I used to be pretty biased to linear supplies, which I used in the ClassDaudio amp I assembled; I'm not biased that way anymore. 

Absolutely agree, the rest of the equipment's no good if the power supply isn't up to snuff. My comment was more directed toward the SMPS that are being used with the class D amps in general; there have been a few comments about the switching power supplies introducing artifacts noticeable if the power supply isn't designed well.

I haven't settled on a brand yet, just testing the waters right now. From perusing diyaudio.com, I'd seen the threads about the predecessor to the Ncore (UcD?). Now the Ncore stuff is blowing up here. The ClassD audio offerings have caught my eye as well. Nice to find that there are also other vendors that offer kits on Ebay and other sites.

Far as up for an adventure, not sure at this point. The first amp I built was an F5 clone, wading through the threads on diyaudio about the various output devices, configurations, etc etc I'm looking forward to something with pre populated boards and onboard Molex connectors.   :D

Occam

« Reply #182 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:05 pm »
That easily can go with switching amp supportes as well...your post is not logical...nor accurate

They simply prefer music from an amp that is NOT switching states thousands of times a second...having to filter out all kinds of non acoustic artifacts from the signal.
I must admit that I have a grudging admiration for those who only use their turntables and tape machines for musical reproduction, eschewing those horrible switching artifacts spilling from CD players and DACs.

As an example, a class A amp from Pass Labs does a much cleaner job of reproducing in incoming music signal than any switching amp.  No data on HOW the Ncore switching amp has overcome it operational limitaions has yet been posted.
My youngest son used to march about demanding of all 'Proob It!!' But he is no longer 4 years old, and does his own research. If you'd do a search either here or on Google on 'Ncore white paper' you'd have found it. [it IS the Ncore that is the proximate cause of this cat fight] For a white paper, it seems short on hyperbole, and actually contains useful information. You could also read Bruno Putzey's AES papers. Actually, given your demonstrated technical expertise, why don't you go over to DiyAudio.com and make your demands directly to Bruno, and tell him why his published specifications (powered by switching supply) couldn't equal or better  Nelson's efforts...

Personally, I've yet to hear a class D amp that I could live with, which is why I'm looking forward to hearing the Ncores.[EDIT - That being said, I couldn't live with the majority of conventional non-class D amps I've heard, either] My motivation are the comments of a single member of AC, whose system I've heard, and compared notes on components we've both heard in our own systems. Without calibrating respective perceptions, other's evaluations (and cheer leading) are largely meaningless to me.

FWIW,
Paul
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2012, 06:29 pm by Occam »

busb

« Reply #183 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:13 pm »
First post here...

I borrowed a Primare A34.2 class D power amp for a week in March. Connected it with XLR leads from my fairly new audiolab M-DAC using the DAC's volume control. My current system comprises of a Restek Challenger integrated driving a pair of Totem Arros. The Challenger is, IMO a very good amplifier.

The Primare immediately showed how much detail was missing from the Restek & all other amps I've heard in my system including a Classe power amp. The bass may be too dry for some tastes: the level of grip down in this region was extremely satisfactory as was the tunefulness of the bottom registers (the Arros may not have the bass that large drivers can push out but they still go quite low) & I like bone-dry bass rather than some bloom that the Restek exhibits. The treble is neither sweet nor bright but neutral - no hint of glare. The mids are astonishingly revealing - I kept looking above the speakers quite instinctively trying to imagine the position of sounds in the mix. This level of detail brought a high level of separation between instruments & their timbre. Sounds well down in ampitude could be picked out very well. In no way did this level of detail sound "chrome-plated". The dynamics were good, I was startled from time to time!

Vocals were very nice, not in one's face but with plenty of ambience as was the soundstage. One could easily tell if a classic recording was from a studio or concert hall. Pop. rock, dance & electronica sounded very satisfying but the system did reveal dreadful recording quality for what is was - dreadful. Fortunately I notice how poor the the recording is intially then just enjoy the music. Some may think my description says Analytical - I say no - I couldn't keep still which in my book equals involvement & fun.

I'm aware how fallible human perception of music & SQ can be but IMO, class D is beginning to rival class A but without the heat! I'm saving up for one. It was interesting to return to the Challenger afterwards: it sounded distorted & blurred by comparison.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #184 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:58 pm »
Busb, welcome to AudioCircle. Nice first post.  :)
I'm not at all familiar with your Restek amp but can you run the Dac's output directly to the amp section, bypassing the Restek's pre section? I wonder if this would remove the "blurred" presentation.
I used the Primare 30.1 integrated amp for a while. Thought it had an exceptionally clean presentation.

busb

« Reply #185 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:19 pm »
Hey - thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm connecting the M-DAC's phonos straight into the main inputs of the Restek. It doesn't bypass the volume control which is set to max therefore the preamp section is sort of removed from the equation.

When I say blurred - only when compared to the Primare! Every so often, I hear a product that really gels, this amp does as did a pair of Arros I heard some years ago in AudioT, Reading. Sometimes, I can even afford the products that impress so much  :D

Freo-1

« Reply #186 on: 29 Apr 2012, 06:18 pm »
I must admit that I have a grudging admiration for those who only use their turntables and tape machines for musical reproduction, eschewing those horrible switching artifacts spilling from CD players and DACs.
My youngest son used to march about demanding of all 'Proob It!!' But he is no longer 4 years old, and does his own research. If you'd do a search either here or on Google on 'Ncore white paper' you'd have found it. [it IS the Ncore that is the proximate cause of this cat fight] For a white paper, it seems short on hyperbole, and actually contains useful information. You could also read Bruno Putzey's AES papers. Actually, given your demonstrated technical expertise, why don't you go over to DiyAudio.com and make your demands directly to Bruno, and tell him why his published specifications (powered by switching supply) couldn't equal or better  Nelson's efforts...

Personally, I've yet to hear a class D amp that I could live with, which is why I'm looking forward to hearing the Ncores.[EDIT - That being said, I couldn't live with the majority of conventional non-class D amps I've heard, either] My motivation are the comments of a single member of AC, whose system I've heard, and compared notes on components we've both heard in our own systems. Without calibrating respective perceptions, other's evaluations (and cheer leading) are largely meaningless to me.

FWIW,
Paul

Listen Mate, the four year old comment is snarky and uncalled for.  The claims about Ncore being a game changer need to be backed up as to why and how limitations were addressed.   So, you no longer question how or why things work?  Politicians will love that attitude.

The Ncore papers are pretty straightforward, but really state nothing about overcoming limitations are listed.  It just pretty much explains how it works.  And, it seems to work pretty well overall. 

This article explains why switching amps often do not sound as good as they measure;

http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4015267/Why-Class-D-Amplifiers-May-Test-Well-But-Often-Sound-Terrible

Let’s stick to facts about debating operating principals, and leave out the personal nonsense.

I do think at some point switching amps will catch up sonically with most conventional amp designs.  Not sure any amp design will ever sound as good as a top notch class A setup.

Rafael Gonzales

« Reply #187 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:18 pm »
"Not sure any amp design will ever sound as good as a top notch class A setup."

Politicians will love that attitude.  Nothing like being an ideologue with a closed mind.

busb

« Reply #188 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:20 pm »
I'll use an analogy if I may. About five years ago, I wanted to buy a digital SLR. Working in electronics, I was interested enough to take a closer look at sensor technology so trawled the web. The technical articles at the time concluded that CCD had better dynamic range, hence lower noise than the new-fangled CMOS ones. However, Canon were beginning to use CMOS sensors that were technically inferior but were cheaper to manufacture & faster to read into memory. I re-read these articles then noticed that they were all around five years old & badly out of date. The "inferior" CMOS sensors are now used in most/all mobile phones & DSLRs including so-called professional cameras such as Nikon's new 36MP D800.

That EETimes article dates back to Aug 2005. It also goes on about class D as being digital which is plain wrong - they sample the audio band & drive the output devices to be fully on or fully off - all current or all voltage is a useful over-simplification but serves to illustrate how they are as efficient as they are. That MC article is from 2008. I suggest that class D technology has moved forward significantly since then.

Having borrowed a recently introduced Primare A34.2 power amplifier driving my nominally 4 Ohm Totem Arros for a week convinces me that class D can not only better class A/B but some day equal class A and use a lot less power into the bargain. The 150 Watt Primare was housed in a non-ventilated case & weighed 10.5kg. Time will tell how reliable this switching technology will be of course. The likes of Leema are also launching class D so I'm far from being in the minority in thinking that class D is not just suitable for "non-critical" portable devices.

Freo-1

« Reply #189 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:25 pm »

Politicians will love that attitude.  Nothing like being an ideologue with a closed mind.

Not a closed mind.  Just based on a lot of listening and reviews of designs over the years.  One can have both a firm set of beliefs and an open mind.

If someone can come with a amp that is better than a top class A, I'm all for it! 

It will be hard to achieve from an engineering standpoint.

Freo-1

« Reply #190 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:37 pm »
I'll use an analogy if I may. About five years ago, I wanted to buy a digital SLR. Working in electronics, I was interested enough to take a closer look at sensor technology so trawled the web. The technical articles at the time concluded that CCD had better dynamic range, hence lower noise than the new-fangled CMOS ones. However, Canon were beginning to use CMOS sensors that were technically inferior but were cheaper to manufacture & faster to read into memory. I re-read these articles then noticed that they were all around five years old & badly out of date. The "inferior" CMOS sensors are now used in most/all mobile phones & DSLRs including so-called professional cameras such as Nikon's new 36MP D800.

That EETimes article dates back to Aug 2005. It also goes on about class D as being digital which is plain wrong - they sample the audio band & drive the output devices to be fully on or fully off - all current or all voltage is a useful over-simplification but serves to illustrate how they are as efficient as they are. That MC article is from 2008. I suggest that class D technology has moved forward significantly since then.

Having borrowed a recently introduced Primare A34.2 power amplifier driving my nominally 4 Ohm Totem Arros for a week convinces me that class D can not only better class A/B but some day equal class A and use a lot less power into the bargain. The 150 Watt Primare was housed in a non-ventilated case & weighed 10.5kg. Time will tell how reliable this switching technology will be of course. The likes of Leema are also launching class D so I'm far from being in the minority in thinking that class D is not just suitable for "non-critical" portable devices.

The principal of switching amps has not changed all that much since 2005.  Yes, they have advanced, and there are several other classes of switching technologies out there since then as well. The devices used are likely faster, but the principals of operation have not.   

However, (almost) all the amps involve reconstructing an input analog waveform.  One of the exceptions to this was Sony. Sony had a series of digital switching amps out in the early 2000’s that took a digital input and generated a Pulse Length Modulation (PLM) created analog waveform output.  Sony had both a switching and linear power supply setup. These amps actually sounded pretty good for their time.

fredgarvin

« Reply #191 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:55 pm »

Says mister 9 posts.

Occam

« Reply #192 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:57 pm »
The claims about Ncore being a game changer need to be backed up as to why and how limitations were addressed.  So, you no longer question how or why things work? ....
I certainly haven't made any such pronouncements. And those who constantly harp on this or that being a 'game changer', I try to ignore. I'm currently an agnostic on switching amps, willing to be shown the light. And frankly, AC isn't the place for deep technical discussion.

The Ncore papers are pretty straightforward, but really state nothing about overcoming limitations are listed.  It just pretty much explains how it works.  And, it seems to work pretty well overall. 

This article explains why switching amps often do not sound as good as they measure;

http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4015267/Why-Class-D-Amplifiers-May-Test-Well-But-Often-Sound-Terrible
No, the article asserts, with no explanation and no references showing that poor low level linearity -
The sonic implications of a broad dynamic range become more striking with the observation that while the upper amplitude regions impart what a musical instrument is, the lower regions impart where it is. Spatial location of sound is the driving force behind the entire home theatre movement, which makes these low-level signals even more important. Here, the dynamic range of this True Fidelity amplifier extends to about 102dB.

and is a honest attempt to drum up consulting business to incorporate his
'E-Bridge Technology Provides True Fidelity Amplifier Linearity'.
While I find low level linearity an interesting metric, he simply posits this metric, and asserts its correlation to imaging and sound staging, nothing more, nothing less. My issues heretofore with switching amps [albeit quite limited] have been with their tonality and resolution, and once I hear something that passes  muster in those areas, I'll listen for their imaging capabilities.

Let’s stick to facts about debating operating principals, and leave out the personal nonsense.
I've no interest in debating operating principals with someone who, like me, apparently has no truly deep understanding of those principals and issues. If you want to win personal debating points, be my guest to keep demanding 'proof'. If you want to learn something, go over to DiyAudio, and ask your questions (nicely) of Bruno Putzeys, and/or others who truly understand the issues.

Listen Mate, the four year old comment is snarky and uncalled for.
You're absolutly correct. But I think it best that I forgo this comedically perfect set-up. :wink:

Warm Regards,
Paul

busb

« Reply #193 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:27 pm »

The principal of switching amps has not changed all that much since 2005.  Yes, they have advanced, and there are several other classes of switching technologies out there since then as well. The devices used are likely faster, but the principals of operation have not.

Probably the semiconductor's switching latency is low enough to reduce the dead time with the latest MOSFETs

However, (almost) all the amps involve reconstructing an input analog waveform.  One of the exceptions to this was Sony. Sony had a series of digital switching amps out in the early 2000’s that took a digital input and generated a Pulse Length Modulation (PLM) created analog waveform output.  Sony had both a switching and linear power supply setup. These amps actually sounded pretty good for their time.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with PLM - sounds the same as PWM that I thought all class D amps use? Class D amplifiers with digital rather than analogue inputs are a different story - they have no analogue signal to apply feedback to unless a DAC is used then you might as well apply analogue to the input anyway. Did Sony drop the idea?

The most important secondary aspect of using class D has to be reliability - both in the amplifier & what could could happen to the load. Making sure that various artefacts don't modulate the mains is also important. Badly implemented switch-mode circuits can polute.

Freo-1

« Reply #194 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:45 pm »

If you want to learn something, go over to DiyAudio, and ask your questions (nicely) of Bruno Putzeys, and/or others who truly understand the issues.

Actually, I do go over to the DIY website, and have obtained some sage information from there.   The DIY crowd at Pass Labs (including Mr. Pass)  were very helpful with my restoration of a Threshold 400A, as well as converting a Threshold S300 to a SA/3.

Will be sure to inquire about switching amp improvents over at DIY.   Still think that there is a way to go to get the best sound from them.

However, having said that, the basic principles of operation associated with Class A, Class AB, Class B, and switching amplifiers are NOT that hard to grasp.  So, being able to correspond what one hears from a given amp and relate the sound as to how the amp works is a worthwhile endeavor.

The basic take away here is that there is a tradeoff between efficiency of amplifier operation and how much the signal has to undergo switching to achieve the analog waveform output.  The REAL debate is how much of output signal switching performed is audible, nes pa? This is why many audio geeks prefer class A, as it does the least to harm the signal.

fredgarvin

« Reply #195 on: 1 May 2012, 04:43 pm »
I haven;t been convinced at this point that class D is any better than tripath  or ICE. I think it's probably personal preference. So far, I like the tripath sound a lot. Like all amps, they work better with certain loudspeakers. I don't have one in my main system because my speakers require more current and power. The large CODA amp I use does sound better overall. Of course, that may not be true with a high efficiency speaker design. I suspect so however.
I'm sure there are Firstwatt owners that loved their amps, but moved on to accommodate changes in their speakers or preamps. I've only had one ice amp in the house and thought it hard and thin. I'll bet there are others that sound better as well as offering gobs of power.

fredgarvin

« Reply #196 on: 1 May 2012, 04:45 pm »
no delete function.

Freo-1

« Reply #197 on: 2 May 2012, 01:11 am »
I haven;t been convinced at this point that class D is any better than tripath  or ICE. I think it's probably personal preference. So far, I like the tripath sound a lot. Like all amps, they work better with certain loudspeakers. I don't have one in my main system because my speakers require more current and power. The large CODA amp I use does sound better overall. Of course, that may not be true with a high efficiency speaker design. I suspect so however.
I'm sure there are Firstwatt owners that loved their amps, but moved on to accommodate changes in their speakers or preamps. I've only had one ice amp in the house and thought it hard and thin. I'll bet there are others that sound better as well as offering gobs of power.

Concur with your observations.  BTW, tripath amps are a variation of Class D. 

No doubt Class D has a lot to offer in regards to output power and efficiency.  The trade off with Class D is achieving overall sound quality that rivals the better conventional amp designs.  Given all the switching and filtering involved to re-generate the output analog waveform, it’s not surprising that there is a vigorous debate about the ability of Class D to sound as good as conventional amps. 

It seems fair to state that the more efficient the amp is, the more challenging it is to get the amp to sound reference quality. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #198 on: 2 May 2012, 01:53 am »

Concur with your observations.  BTW, tripath amps are a variation of Class D. 

No doubt Class D has a lot to offer in regards to output power and efficiency.  The trade off with Class D is achieving overall sound quality that rivals the better conventional amp designs.  Given all the switching and filtering involved to re-generate the output analog waveform, it’s not surprising that there is a vigorous debate about the ability of Class D to sound as good as conventional amps. 

It seems fair to state that the more efficient the amp is, the more challenging it is to get the amp to sound reference quality.

You are correct about classD, of course. I try to talk about them separately only because most people are talking about Hypex and ucd when they mention classD. I definitely think you are right on in your statement on efficiency being a bugaboo in achieving reference quality sound.

busb

« Reply #199 on: 2 May 2012, 10:29 pm »
Hi again

That EETimes article mentioned poor linearity/resolution down towards the noisefloor being a dealbreaker. Just what effective dynamic range do listeners expect? If we allow for considerable headroom for the occasional high peaks that are not uncommon with classical music, one isn't going to approach the noisefloor due to masking by ambient sounds - even with double glazing, surely?
I'm willing to believe what my ears told me & what visitors thought over the week I borrowed the class D Primare power amp. I'm also willing to entertain the idea that class D HAS matured to the degree where it can be used seriously.

Regards