Mini's - next batch???

Double Ugly

Re: Mini's - next batch???
« Reply #80 on: 22 Feb 2008, 06:41 pm »
Although UPS Ground can be iffy, I've found that Fedex Ground is franchised, and that their quality is hugely disparate across regions.  OTOH, FedEx everything-thing-else is corporate and does a magnificent job on electronics.

I agree with everything you said, Ted.  However, if you have a problem with one of FedEx's contracted delivery people, they are receptive and responsive.  I've yet to have a package improperly handled by the same entity in successive deliveries.

Conversely, I'm convinced UPS literally doesn't care, and they've stopped just short of saying so in response to my complaints.

BRIAN DK

« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:00 pm »
HI Guys

I always use a jumper (shortcut), between Pos. and Neg. speaker terminal when I have to move speakers around. The shortcut makes the woofer dynamically ridged.
It prevents big executions by breaking like an electroengine.

Of course you have to be careful to remove it before connecting the amplifier to the speakers. :wink:

Maybe an idea along with the new pacing method.

Best Regards,
Brian

PS. Tomorrow I will go to a small audioshow  where some of the best gear in Denmark are represented, including StudioSound.
       I am looking forward to hear the new improvements in Karsten´s set up. :drool:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #82 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:05 pm »
I bought a used pair of Omega Hemptones recently and Fed Ex dropped the box hard enough to push one of the 8" drivers all the way out (inverted driver?/8" dome?).  :cry:
Would plugging the ports during shipping prevent this?

Lin

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #83 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:24 pm »
HI Guys

I always use a jumper (shortcut), between Pos. and Neg. speaker terminal when I have to move speakers around. The shortcut makes the woofer dynamically ridged.

Of course you have to be careful to remove it before connecting the amplifier to the speakers. :wink:

Best Regards,
Brian

PS. Tomorrow I will go to a small audioshow  where some of the best gear in Denmark are represented, including StudioSound.

Ah yes, report back on what that mad scientist is up to.  His Mundorf recommendations sound glorious in my room (I know, Bob had no small part in it, too).  Thank him from all of us.  Mange Tak.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:30 pm »
HI Guys

Best Regards,
Brian

Ah yes, report back on what that mad scientist is up to.  His Mundorf recommendations sound glorious in my room (I know, Bob had no small part in it, too).  Thank him from all of us.  Mange Tak.
And if you could....take some photo's....thanks !!! :thumb:

Albireo

« Reply #85 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:59 pm »

It would blow the Mini's entire backpanel out .... :lol:

This always reminds me about how photographers used to lament when cameras starting using "cheap" plastic rather than metal. But it turns out the reliability increased through better tolerance of temperature variations and especially the cushioning of impacts. The behavior of dynamic systems can be so hard to predict.

Perhaps Bob should start packing the box in the Mini's cabinet and ship that combo instead ....

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #86 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:05 pm »

:scratch:

Albireo

« Reply #87 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:25 pm »

:scratch:

Cf the beer/ketchup bottle examples above. I was just kidding, no way that would happen to a Mini!

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #88 on: 23 Feb 2008, 12:05 am »
Makes me sorta glad that my mini's haven't shipped yet!  :thumb:

Gene

Albireo

« Reply #89 on: 23 Feb 2008, 12:33 am »
Makes me sorta glad that my mini's haven't shipped yet!  :thumb:

Gene
In that case, Bob: ship mine before Gene's please!

All kidding aside, if the Minis are packed the way my NuForce S9s were, the packing should be both flexible and impressive. Things like what apparently happened to yo2tup you just have to chalk up to bad luck. Fact is, I wouldn't have guessed that this could happen, a priori, and I'm no dumbo. I'm actually kinda impressed with Bob's theory on what was going on.

groovybassist

« Reply #90 on: 24 Feb 2008, 04:02 pm »
Bob:  Just an idea - how about a shallow channel the length of the styrofoam on the piece that's against the front baffle?  This channel would allow air to circulate, but would maintain the integrity of that piece's contact with the front baffle.  My concern with stand-offs is they may shift during shipping, especially if the boxes are being dropped as you suspect.  Just a thought.  Thanks.

-Mike

BRIAN DK

« Reply #91 on: 24 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm »
Hi All

The Audioshow this weekend was amassing!

The Audioshow was hosted by a local Hi-Fi Club. Five dealers from Denmark were showing there systems to around 150 dedicated visitors. Each dealer playing 30 min, four to five rounds over the day. The third round for StudioSound was special, things were warmed up and performed totally in balance. I was watching the audience from the back of the room. Some looked at each other waving there eyebrows, some closed there eyes just enjoying the music. The most striking thing was the rhythm of the entire group, nodding there heads, foot tapping or playing silently along with there fingers on cups or bottles. The music was penetrating the often so critically error seeking audience. I must amid the sound of the system and the synergy in the room gave me Goosebumps on arms and legs.

Karsten´s new improvements on his Blue Cheese Audio DAC is quite remarkable. The biggest difference is the handling of the lowest octaves. Distinct start-stop on basnotes like never heard before. Very tight and clear deep bas, resulting in even less upward spread of masking. There by a unique floating and undisturbed midrange and treble, with a lot off body on the performers and the right size on the recording environment and instruments. New details on old well known material occurred, like one more blanket in front of the speakers were pulled away! I think control, accuracy, hi definition, dynamic and musicality are the keywords.
A perfect match with Revelations, Spectron Musician , NuForce Powercondisioner and Trends Audio transporter.

The gear from the other dealers was: Holfi with Peak Consult El Diablo speakers, Pass Labs with Avalon Ascendant speakers, Accuphase with JBL K2 S-9800WG speakers,  Danish Audio Design with ? speakers. No cheap competitors. Maybe I am a little biased here, but believe me StudioSound was in a league of its own. Non of the other dealers achieved to get the same lifelike natural sound and synergy allover.

Again a witness to the supernatural skills of the Revelations. Every improvement big or small just is presented one to one, with out any signs on fatigue. The gear in front of them is beyond HI End, and they just keep showing the differences what so ever. Where are the limits on these unbelievable speakers?
I have to say it again, SP speakers truly belong in the Super HI End category. No matter prize, I have never witnessed the same ability just to play whatever presented to the speakers. aa

ted_b
I am quite impressed, with your "mange tak". :o I will call Karsten tomorrow and thank him for the Mundorf thing. :thumb:

Lonewolfny42
Sorry no pictures from me. Later I will post a link to HIFI4ALL, they usually post an article from the event. :thumb:

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Brian

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #92 on: 25 Feb 2008, 05:33 am »
Brian...
Lonewolfny42
Sorry no pictures from me. Later I will post a link to HIFI4ALL, they usually post an article from the event.

Thank you.... :thumb:

Where are the limits on these unbelievable speakers?

Pretty amazing....right. Sounds like you had a good time.... 8)

Double Ugly

« Reply #93 on: 25 Feb 2008, 05:44 pm »
There are a couple of relatively poor pics in this HIFI4ALL thread.

I tried on-line translators, but I still have no idea what attendees had to say.  :scratch:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #94 on: 25 Feb 2008, 05:54 pm »
I tried on-line translators, but I still have no idea what attendees had to say.  :scratch:

I can't find Danish to English translation, either.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #96 on: 25 Feb 2008, 06:36 pm »
thanks, Mike.

I like how they translate Pass Labs as "Out of date Labs"!

mcullinan

« Reply #97 on: 25 Feb 2008, 06:42 pm »
Lol! And The say that the Revelations had a problem with no bass, or little bass. That sounds wrong to what Ive read.
Mike

BRIAN DK

« Reply #98 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:02 pm »
HI ALL

StudioSound was playing in one end of a large rectangular 30-35 yards by 9-10 yards room. Left speaker was about 2 yards from the wall and the Right speaker was totally without any side wall at all. Playing in the short direction of the room. The bass response was very rich and firm in the back of the room where I was standing. As one moved towards the middle, where some of the seats were, the bass output became more lean. I think this is the reason to the feedback from Witzel.

Witzel by the way, is a reporter on HIFI4ALL. I have invited him to listen to my Revelations when I get them and they have been
broken in fore a while. He answered yes please. He knows the speakers and has them on his top 10 list. Hope to shorten the list
to around five. 8)

It was very amusing to read the translation from Danish to English, it didn't make much sense. :lol:

In short the comments to SP:

Rune Wildchild asks: The speakers from StudioSound was it DCA 0.1?

Witzel replies: StudioSounds speakers was not DCA 0.1..It was SP Tech Revelation and they have to be experienced!

Witzels comments on the sound from StudioSound: At first on NuForce, the sound was to the bright side. Almost whining treble and lack of bass. Nor good or bad. This changed when the other amplifier (Spectron) was connected. More coherent sound.
Then again these speakers are able to perform much better, its a shame they didn't have the room to show it.

I am still waiting for the official report to show up.

Best Regards,
Brian

Karsten

« Reply #99 on: 26 Feb 2008, 03:50 pm »
Hi Brian,

Nice to meet you at the event  :thumb:

I may add to this, knowing Witzel and his preferences quite well, that he prefers a slightly muted top end. This combined with the fact that he was listening from a spot where a bass nulling occoured tilted the ballance a bit to the bright side when NuForce was on.

Anyway it is funny to hear the great variations in peoples impressions of the same setup. Quite a few commented the NuForce as sweet and clean sounding presenting impressingly natural female voices etc.

Karsten