Where to start???

audioman999

Where to start???
« on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:28 pm »
It has been suggested that a power conditioner may be the next required upgrade in my system.  currently have the following:
totem Model 1 Signatures
Bryston B100SST with onboard DAC - may purchase a larger bryston amp down the road
Rotel RCD991 used as a transport
Rotel RLC "some type of power conditioner" (bought it as part of an older Rotel package i had)
Squeezebox Touch

Don't know where to start and therefore have some questions.

I have seen the $200 power strips by Monster at Future Shop but am not familiar with most of the makes/models listed in this forum.

1.  What is the main difference between a power bar, line conditioner, surge protector, voltage stabilizer?
2.  Are all of the above needed, do they usually come in 1 box or are they several different technologies?
3.  I have seen that 240volt is recommended, can you do that in North America?  What are the advantages?
4.  What is the advantage of running a dedicated line 15A or 20A to your gear?
5.  How large of a unit do i need? 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, etc...

and feel free to add in your thoughts/comments on anything else that I should consider that i have failed to ask.

Thanks

WGH

Re: Where to start???
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm »
I would start with by plugging the Squeezebox into a Felix, the switching power supply is probably throwing all sorts of garbage back into the A/C. There is more info than just the link below, Search for 'Felix'.
Link: Felix Meets the Squeezebox

Wayne

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:38 pm »
I would start with by plugging the Squeezebox into a Felix, the switching power supply is probably throwing all sorts of garbage back into the A/C. There is more info than just the link below, Search for 'Felix'.
Link: Felix Meets the Squeezebox

Wayne

Great suggestion Wayne. 

audioman999
The other thing I'd ask yourself is what do you want to accomplish in the end?  Protection, better sound or both? 

audioman999

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:13 am »
Great suggestion Wayne. 

audioman999
The other thing I'd ask yourself is what do you want to accomplish in the end?  Protection, better sound or both?

I would say both.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:17 am »
I would say both.

There are many options but take a look at http://zerosurge.com/whatsnew.cfm?PType=Res and at the PI Audio UberBuss who has a circle here on A.C. 

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:04 am »
Start at the wall...replace the 'cheap' outlet with something more substantial.

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm »
I'd start with a dedicated line or two(depends how big a system),one amp,2,3 ect,1 sub 2 subs.
Of course if you are upgrading to a bigger amp(s)that could change on the conditioner you buy.
And of  course there is 240v conditioners and 120v sooooooooooo,lots to think about.

For me was my one amp direct to wall,then two more/now I needed dedicated lines,which I should have started with.The lines were all 15a,then I had a 15a torus.
Then a few more amps and realized I wanted to go bal(240)sooo run more wire and purchased a 20a bal and a 60a bal Torus(S)+a dedicated 20a line for one of my subs,the other 3 are connected to the Torus(S).
Nice to have a visual plan as you can see a guy can redo over some of the things you did before
and that goes for conditioners also,which can cost.
So hopefully you can buy once and not buy+sell+buy+sell.
The Torus was my last conditioner stop as they make a huge difference and it's all good,
they are a major component upgrade.

audioman999

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:58 pm »
thanks for the replies.

What am i looking at when i compare a Zero Surge for a couple hundred to a Torus for a couple thousand.

also, will changing the receptacle make a difference if it is still on the same line as others or would i need to run a line straight from the box?

Thanks

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:30 am »
...will changing the receptacle make a difference if it is still on the same line as others ...
If I say yes, would you believe me?  :lol:
If only we could 'start' at the power company...
Regardless of if you have a dedicated line or not, you can only (easily) control what is accessible...a good tight outlet is what you will be plugging in that super-dupper power conditioner into....if that conditioner is worth anything it should negate/minimize for the 'most part' whatever gremlins might be on the line .
Before spending $$$$ on a dedicated line, spend $10.-$50. on a better outlet, if you can hear a difference...then the sky's the limit. THe Hobby needs you!  :lol:

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:04 am »
Here are a couple of outlets Porterports$36.00 us,Maestro79.00 us
or perhaps even a good hospital grade as they almost have a deathgrip on the plug(almost).
They sell on audiogon under power productd distribution.