How would Omega Speakers compare to Cornwalls?

Barnharty

How would Omega Speakers compare to Cornwalls?
« on: 6 Feb 2017, 05:38 pm »
Hey there, I'm looking for a little advice. I currently have a pair of 1980 Klipsch Cornwalls with upgraded Crites crossover, powered by a Decware Zen Select. I'm wondering which speakers in the Omega lineup you would consider an upgrade to the Cornwalls?

Thanks

undertow

Re: How would Omega Speakers compare to Cornwalls?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2017, 06:08 pm »
Depends on how you listen?

In other words type of music, and expected output levels with full range capability.

There is just no way a single full range driver in the size of an Omega will come close to the dynamic power, or output of a cornwall on any level so if that is expected your not looking in the right place.

Omegas are good for many other things, but as a direct replacement to something like a giant wall of sound the cornwall with 101 - 102 db horns and a 15" driver it is not.

Also, with amplification it can vary trying to drop down to non-crossover full range speakers so not a guarantee the amps will be perfect fit's either if your looking for direct swapping . Matching can get tricky for the results you want, but on efficiency standards they both do have the same character when choosing amps overall on a technical level.

Barnharty

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2017, 06:30 pm »
I don't do a lot of high volume listening, I live on the third floor in an apartment building. I mostly listen for realism, textures, emotional involvement, and realistic soundstage.

I've heard that the Decware SET amp is one of the best sounding amps you can use to drive Omegas.

I've heard a few others describe the Cornwalls as a good "party speaker." But lacking the refinement of audiophile speakers. When I go to Hi-Fi shops and listen to their setups, including speakers that go for multitudes more than I paid for the Cornwalls, they sound boring to me. I haven't heard a pair of speakers that I like as much as the Cornwalls, but I've also never heard a crossoverless speaker.

undertow

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2017, 06:38 pm »
Well I can say this, old Vintage, Heritage, whatever you like to call them speakers, and especially Klipsch horns can be "Refined" quite a bit for the money. As you know already doing the Crites upgrades are good with modern crossover parts.

Nothing is perfect, however there is always substantial gains to be had in cabinet acoustics etc... But there is no really good answers to getting exactly "The best".

As for the full range designs, Honestly a closer cousin to the Klipsch "Party" capabilities is probably something in the range of the BIG Zu Audio Definitions, or similar.

But you would be stepping up considerably in cost, and having active Subs in them to kick in that bottom end most full range drivers will lack on straight passive designs.

This is not my suggestion, as Zu's are not perfect either, but simply an illustration of the type of acoustic similarities for what an end result will be.

By the way there are ways to refine big horns, and party speakers :-) One is correct finesse available with a good tube amp as you already have in the Decware so your probably close to where you want to be.

The better question is do you think your missing something?

If so take advantage of borrowing, or auditioning some type of other speaker, and if your budget allows, or you just want to hear a full range driver setup that's comparable Zu I know does do a 60 day money back.

I am not sure if Omegas can be returned, but look into it and give them a shot to see what is working, and what is not.

undertow

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2017, 06:53 pm »
By the way looks like somebody just posted up Decwares own full range speakers that match right here!

No idea if this design will be what your looking for, and will be similar to the results with anything in this design category, but not 7 cubic foot 3- way horns.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148417.msg1587419;topicseen#new

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm »
Definitely quite different speakers! The Omegas might work out great for an apartment though, they are suitable for smaller spaces and nearfield or closer distance listening vs the big Klipsch speakers. You'll probably get better resolution and a more coherent sound, but you won't get extremely high SPL capabilities or bass extension a 15" woofer provides. But, I doubt you'll find them "boring" to listen to, I think they are more engaging than what most modern hifi offers. For what you value, it does seem like Omegas may be a good fit.

Barnharty

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2017, 03:06 am »
Thank you both for your feedback. I think I might try the Super 3i. If I don't end up like them more than the Corns, they'll be nice to use for some late night listening :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:45 am »
Hello Barnharty and welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

If you're coming from Cornwalls, I would look at the new Omega Super 3 High Output Monitor.  It just went up on the Omega website on Saturday.  Louis is very exited about this speaker and there is a thread about it here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148198.0
and here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147959.0