$1000 pair speakers ?

drunkonjack

$1000 pair speakers ?
« on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:08 am »
I earlier asked for your help on buying a pair of speakers in the $2000-$2500 range. As I was looking to purchase a pair for 2 channle audio. Well my ebay auctions did'nt go as well as hoped. Also my speakers for home theater that I won on ebay arrived damaged . So looks as at this time I can only go $1000-$1200 on a pair. Again I ask for your help. What have you listened to in this range with a WOW factor. I listen all kinds of music heavy metal to soft jazz.  Sometimes at low volume not to awaken sleeping faimly to rocking out when home alone. I listen to cd's with my ah ! new tjoeb 4000 cd player powered by a Parasound HCA-3500. all connected by Audioquest cables. I'm sure I sould be able to find a great sounding monitor but need some help. I live in a small Iowa town and don't have lots of places to audition speakers at. So will buy through phone order or internet. Thanks again for your help ! :idea:

Figo

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:14 am »
Ellis 1801 Kit($675)

If you can't make the cabinets yourself, you can hire a local woodworker to make them for you.  Should still be under your budget.  If you build them yourself, you can save a bunch of money, and probably equal or beat those $2500 ones you origionally had in mind.  Use the extra money in your budget to buy more music to listen to :)

http://www.ellisaudio.com/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:15 am »
You will not find a better pair of speakers in your price range than the VMPS 626R's with the FST tweeter:

http://tweakaudio.com/Specials%20for%20Sale.html

Figo

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:17 am »
I second the notion for those 626s.  That is a sweet price.  Ellis are still strong contenders especially for those who don't like ribbons.

bubba966

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:19 am »
Quote from: Tyson
You will not find a better pair of speakers in your price range than the VMPS 626R's with the FST tweeter:

I thought Marbles already picked up that pair...

Haoleb

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:49 am »
Axiom M80ti's

I think i mentioned these in your other post, and if you can only afford 1000pr now that means these would be an even better canidate!

JackD

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:50 am »
Green Mountain Europas

Marbles

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:54 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Quote from: Tyson

I thought Marbles already picked up that pair...

Yup, they're mine.

Ric is waiting on BC to tell him how to change the XO to his new standard based on his RM30 experiments.  Then he will ship.  Hopefully it will not be too long.

eico1

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:01 am »
For jazz and heavy metal, Tannoy will not offend:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1077471203

One of the posters here is also a Tannoy dealer.

steve

Carlman

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:05 am »
You can check out this thread for a comparison of a few:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7200

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2004, 11:08 am »
Beware of the Wow factor.

Perhaps you're using it differently than I think of it as, but it me it implies immediately being impressed.  Even to an experienced ear many of those first impressions end up being exaggerations or colorations that fatigue in time.

Rock music is full of exaggeration, so some would say, "Why not more of the the same?"  Well again it can be too much of a good thing.  The artist/engineer added as much as they thought it needed, more is not better.

As discussed elsewhere here, if you can build, your budget will allow for some amazingly good speakers.  But $1,000 - 1,200 provides few floorstanding options of good quality.  Meadowlark Swift comes to mind, but not as rock monitors.

I use Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s with a Hsu VTF-2 sub for HT and love them.  Total cost about $800 shipped.  For your budget you could move up to the VTF-3 (if your room is big enough to justify it) and add stands/wall mounts and cables.  (The Hsu subs are offered in bundled to offer a price break.)  The CBM-170s were named a Soundstage award last year.  They blow away any B&W, Paradigm, or Dynaudio at 3 times the price.  Those sound like HiFi, these sound like music.  Those provide black and white sketches, these provide color paintings of the music.  And they image like crazy.  Excellent value based on sound and content, but the cabinet finish is better suited for frequent moves than WAF (grainy black vinyl).  IMO for your application they would stomp any retail floorstander option.

Levi

Re: $1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2004, 01:44 pm »
Quote from: drunkonjack
I earlier asked for your help on buying a pair of speakers in the $2000-$2500 range. As I was looking to purchase a pair for 2 channle audio. Well my ebay auctions did'nt go as well as hoped. Also my speakers for home theater that I won on ebay arrived damaged . So looks as at this time I can only go $1000-$1200 on a pair. Again I ask for your help. What have you listened to in this range with a WOW factor. I listen all kinds of music heavy metal to soft jazz.  Sometimes at low volume not to awaken sleeping ...

I guess buying used is not in your top list.  I am in the market for speakers aswell.   Whatever you get try to audition them first with your favorite cd.  I wish you well.

Levi

manek

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:25 pm »
Jamo E855, E 875, D570, D590
Monitor Audio Bronze B4, B6.

manek

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:26 pm »
B&W 603.S3, or 604.S3

drunkonjack

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:19 pm »
Used speakers will work for me. This will allow more speaker for less money and if they don't work out  I would not have too take a big lose reselling them. I was looking at some speakers on audiogon like Aerial's and Von Schweikerts vr1's. Looking at stand mount speakers a little more as this will get more for the amount I can spend.

maxwalrath

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:37 pm »
I don't know about the metal...but Meadowlark Kestral Hotrods never sounded bad playing Zepplin at obnoxious sound levels. They're great for jazz, not that I listened to that much of it but anything acoustic really sounded good. I just sold a pair, but they come up used on Audiogon for around $700-850 every now and then.

maxwalrath

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:38 pm »
good stands are pretty pricey...

rosconey

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2004, 06:27 pm »
doesnt a acer have a pair of onix ref1 for sale :?:

drunkonjack

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2004, 09:44 pm »
I decided to go with a pair of Von Schweikert vr1. $700 new delievered Fealt I could'nt go wrong. I have read good things about these and at that price, bang for the buck value counts for something. I can always go better later and use these in second room.

Carlman

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2004, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: drunkonjack
I decided to go with a pair of Von Schweikert vr1. $700 new delievered Fealt I could'nt go wrong. I have read good things about these and at that price, bang for the buck value counts for something. I can always go better later and use these in second room.

You're right about bang for the buck.  These speaker take a long time to break in, though.  They will sound OK out of the box but, won't wear in for another 100 hours.  So, after a week or so, you'll think they sound OK but, nothing spectacular but, then they keep getting a little better.

I think the only way to get a better speaker is to spend a good bit more money or find a real deal on something you've heard that meets your tastes to a tee.  I paid 700 for mine from 'Audio Broker' who's local to me.  So, I got a chance to hear them fully broken-in before buying.  I can hear mine opening up a little as I type...

Let us know your thoughts on the VR1's.... first impressions but, more importantly, after that magical 100 hours...