Speaker (and mini pre) Comparison

Carlman

« on: 4 Jan 2004, 04:10 pm »
I will be hosting a speaker comparison at my house (tentatively) on Saturday, January 10th.  The speakers to be compared are:
Von Schweikert VR-1
Onix Reference 1
GR Research Diluceo

Additionally, I will compare the Eastern Electric Minimax to the Melos-type Dodd preamp.

At present, there will be no sub to use however, there is one on the way from CSS.  (the one with the Adire 10" driver and 200w Hypex amp)

Please let me know if you'd be interested in attending by PM.

The date could change from the 10th to 17th.  I will update this thread when I know for sure... which will probably late in the week.

Thanks and hope some folks can make it!

I will separately host a pre-amp comparison at the end of the month or early Feb with the Dodd, Eastern, and the Purist. (depending on availability)

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this... feel free to move it wherever it belongs.

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2004, 05:40 pm »
Woohoo!  This belongs in the Carolina Circle.  ;-)

Anyhow, count me in.  I'd love to hear that.  I REALLY like the VR-1's.  And the freaking matching sub is AMAZING.

B

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2004, 07:58 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Woohoo!  This belongs in the Carolina Circle.  ;-)

Anyhow, count me in.  I'd love to hear that.  I REALLY like the VR-1's.  And the freaking matching sub is AMAZING.

B

The matching sub BETTER be amazing at 1500! :o

Glad you can make it.

Ravi

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:51 pm »
Carlman, just make sure you get ample time with the Diluceo's in the sweet spot (ribbon right at ear level).  Off-axis, even slightly, can give an unfair advantage to the other speakers.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2004, 03:06 am »
Bring it on, Carlman.  We're with you in spirit 3000 miles away! :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2004, 08:06 am »
Boy would I like to attend this shootout. I'd love the opportunity to compare for myself the GR Diluceo and the VR-1. I've heard the Onix. I've never heard a ribbon loudspeaker tho. I will be anxiously awaiting your review Carl along with thoughts from other attendee's. Enjoy! :D Regards, Robin

BikeWNC

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:13 pm »
Yeah, Carl really increased my interest when he added the VR-1s to the comparison.  Now I won't feel compelled to charge him gas money for hauling my Diluceos around for almost 600 miles.   :lol:

Getting a chance to hear the Dodd and Minimax preamps is also worth the drive.

Andy

maxwalrath

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:29 pm »
I just got a used minimax without ever hearing it, and had to sell my Adcom GFP 750 before I could compare the two. Do I miss the Adcom? Besides the remote, not at all! And I haven't switched out the stock tubes yet. :mrgreen:

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:08 pm »
If anyone would like to lend some tubes for the comparison of the Minimax, please let me know soon.  I'll be using the stock ones for the comparison... which I feel don't do anything overly right or wrong but, I feel certain could be improved upon.

I've got a few varieties of 6922/6DJ8/etc. lying around but, none of the minimax size.  I could give a very unfair bias to the Dodd by using some Amperex Orange Globe's, Bugle Boys, etc.... but, I won't.  It'll be stock vs. stock for the comparison and then the rolling will begin.

-C

mattybumpkin

Dodd/Eastern Electric
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:16 pm »
Carlman,

I would love to hear these two together, what a comparison!  Both are excellent pre's (I demoed both) and I am not sure which I would like better.  I am sure the choice would be system dependent.  Hmmm, from New York to North Carolina takes how long... :)

Regards,

"M"

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:26 pm »
Carl , How many inputs on the Dodd pre-amp ? I know on the MiniMax there's three. :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:39 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
If anyone would like to lend some tubes for the comparison of the Minimax, please let me know soon.  I'll be using the stock ones for the comparison... which I feel don't do anything overly right or wrong but, I feel certain could be improved upon.

I've got a few varieties of 6922/6DJ8/etc. lying around but, none of the minimax size.  I could give a very unfair bias to the Dodd by using some Amperex Orange Globe's, Bugle Boys, etc.... but, I won't.  It'll be stock vs. stock for the comparison and then the rolling will begin.

-C
Carl , If you check East. Elect. site there is a Forum there that has a few threads about what tubes work well in the MM. >> http://www.eeaudio.com/phpbb/index.php  ....(  NEW - CDP picture is up on opening page) :)

maxwalrath

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2004, 07:32 pm »
where's a good place to get these tubes that have been recommended for the minimax?

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2004, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Carl , How many inputs on the Dodd pre-amp ? I know on the MiniMax there's three. :)

2 line level inputs, and 1 output is stock.  I got a second output for $50.

The Dodd came in today via UPS.  It's playing now.  Immediately noticed a personality difference to the Minimax.... this is with the speakers under some thin plastic shoved into the middle of the room.  (I'm painting) It will definitely be interesting once I get the room completely finished and setup again.

The only problem is that the Dodd hums like mad.  Something's wrong with it and it'll probably have to go back to Gary.  This is a real dissapointment.  Even with the hum it sounds good but, with 2 types of very audible transformer type hum. (one hum is idle hum and the other is volume dependent)  :x

BikeWNC

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2004, 09:49 pm »
Unfortunately, Gary's at the CES and will probably be out of touch for a few days.  

Two different hums....  hummm. For one, try to place the preamp so it is not right over or under other components (to the side would be better).  That might help the variable hum.  I found that my tube pre is very sensitive to RFI from other components.  Try to make sure the amp or any power conditioner is not directly above or below the pre.  Rearranging my components solved my similar problem.

Try a cheater plug on the pre.  Shouldn't have to do this but it might be a temporary fix.

Andy

Rocket

dodd preamp
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2004, 12:05 am »
Hi Carlman,

I'm sure i read a thread somewhere that indicated that hum had been an issue with the dodd preamp.

The thread indicated that gary had fixed the problem.

regards

rocket

Carlman

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2004, 03:38 am »
I'll have to try the cheater plug.. I'm guessing that's a plug to short all non-use inputs and ouptuts?... I'm familiar with jumpers and caps but, not cheaters.  

I've tried the obvious stuff, moving the pre, different outlets, etc. without much success.  I know Gary had some hum issues in the past and he assured me those were a thing of the past... and that he tests them before sending them.. so, I think it could have happened in transit; who knows?.. It's a bummer because in my cursory comparisons so far, I've been VERY pleased with the Dodd.... which surprises me.  If it didn't have that humming I think I'd be floored.  

Oh, one other thing.. the volume knob is screwy.... it's really tight and scratchy in the minimum volume area.  Further leading me to believe a UPS problem is at work here.  So, I look forward to Gary's comments... I've emailed and left voicemail with the problem.  I'm not going to beat this horse anymore until I work it out with him.  It will still be available for a listen on Saturday.  I think even despite its humming, it'll be a real treat to hear.

So far it'll be Tsunami, Hantra, and myself.  The 10th is still looking good.  PM me by Friday if you'd like to join us.

-Carl

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2004, 03:40 am »
Carl, a cheater plug is one that you plug your three prong plug into and it changes it into a two prong plug.  I had a HSU sub a while back with a bad hum problem.  The Cheater plug fixed it right up.  Available at Menards or Home Depot for about a buck.

J

BikeWNC

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2004, 04:03 am »
Even WalMart has cheater plugs.  Sometimes certain ICs can cause ground loops type hum.  You might try swapping those too.  I'll bring a few cheater plugs with me.  

From what you describe, it does sound like it got kicked around a bit during shipping.  Oh well, my ears have been trained to cancel out annoying hum noise after the issues I had with emi/rfi in my setup.  Lucky you have the Minimax there also for the speaker comparo.

I hope to be at your home no later than 1 pm Sat., perhaps a bit earlier.

Andy

Carlman

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2004, 04:06 am »
I tried the 3/2 prong cheater adaptor... no difference at all.  I had one I used for some Christmas lights lying around.  If you can 'hear past it' I think you'll be quite pleased.

Thanks again,
Carl