Speaker (and mini pre) Comparison

Carlman

« Reply #20 on: 8 Jan 2004, 11:17 pm »
OK, as it stands, Andy, Bruno, and Todd will be here Saturday afternoon around 1 or 2.  Let me know by tomorrow if you're interested so I can send directions.

Thanks,
Carl

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2004, 02:05 am »
So Carl, how did your saturday go ? I know Andy traveled a long way to be there. Any opinions for us ?  :)

BikeWNC

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2004, 06:26 pm »
Well, I would have thought somebody would have something to say by now.  Anyway, I'm not going to comment on the speakers since the Diluceos were my personal pair other than to say I preferred them over the VR-1s and the Onix Ref1s.  No big surprise that I would like my own speakers.  A quick frequency response curve from the Tact RCS showed they played to 30 hz in his room.  Perhaps he doesn't need that sub after all.

I was most impressed with Carl's AKSA 100n amp.  Very nice, smooth and dynamic.  If he would assemble it for me I would get one.  :wink:

Andy

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2004, 06:43 pm »
Well Andy, you're somebody so thanks for your insights, however so brief. Opinions on the presentation of the other monitors would have been nice tho. :wink: Regards, Robin

Carlman

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:32 pm »
Sorry for the delay... my wife had some more car problems which put us into a frenzy for a couple of days... all fixed... I'll post details of Saturday's comparisons tonight.
Thanks,
Carl

Carlman

Review notes from Saturday
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2004, 01:01 am »
Today’s audio gathering and equipment comparison, January 10, 2004

Associated equipment:
Ikea Rack
Skylan 28” stands, sand filled
Pioneer DV-656A w/ Dan Wright level 1 mods and bybee on digital out
Museatex DAC*
Eastern Electric Minimax preamp*
AKSA 100-Nirvana
Audience Conductor interconnects
Audience Maestro speaker cables

Equipment to test:
*Preamp’s:
Eastern Electric Minimax
Dodd Audio basic preamp

*DAC’s:
Museatex w/ Data II mods by John Wright
Scott Nixon tube DAC w/ upgraded PS, ERS lined case

Speakers:
Von Schweikert VR-1 small 2-way monitors
6.5” woofers, 1” tweeter
Vented box
90db?

GR-Research Diluceo’s
2 5.25” woofers, MTM configuration, Ribbon tweeter
Rear ported

Onix Ref 1, small 2-way monitors
5.25” woofers, 1” tweeter
Rear ported

Music:
Diana Krall, Live in Paris, track 11
Bjork Gling Glo, track 10
Peter Gabriel Up, track 2

Briefly (from Carl’s collection)
Bob Schneider: Lonelyland
Dave Matthews: Some Devil

Also, we listened to Yo La Tengo? And a great classical piece with loads of bass from Bruno as well as a violin solo.  If you could both comment as to the exact titles, it would be appreciated.

Room:
11’ x 13’ hardwood floors, bay windows covering the entire wall behind the speakers; double door opening into a large foyer on one of the long walls.
Treatments:
8th Nerve corners and a ‘floorstander’ in the doorway opening
8th Nerve ‘homemade’ seams covering all 4 corners from floor to ceiling
Dense floor pads on the walls behind the listening position and at primary reflection points to speakers
1 large Yucca plant next to couch
Here’s the room photos:

Room Treatments:

The Speaker Comparisons:

We decided to first compare the speakers since that was the primary purpose of this gathering.  We played the VR1’s first with Diana Krall, Bjork, Bob Schneider, and Yo La Tengo.  I’m going to focus mainly on my own reactions and let Andy, Bruno and Todd chime in with their own comments.  

[On a side note, at one point during testing, we connected Andy’s TACT room response correction device and saw that I had a dip and a peak in my room.  I had a bass peak at about 40Hz and a dip at about 110Hz IIRC.  Andy did a correction and we re-listened and I found it to be a little different but, not mind-blowing.  I think using a TACT is a long-term solution that can only be appreciated after living with it for a while.  We did this while using the Diluceo’s.]

The listening position was about 9 feet from speaker to the listener’s ear.

The VR1’s:
These were placed on 28” Skylan stands, about 2’ from the sidewall and 1’ from the rear wall, about 9’ apart.  The tweeter was just about level with my ear but, a tad bit higher.. maybe an inch.  An important note is that the VR1’s were not fully broken-in.  They had about 50 hours on them.  The manual says they need 100 hours before the highs relax.

Imaging:
The overall imaging from these speakers was pretty good.  Vocals were centered and instruments were 3 dimensional… I could tell the guitar was to the left, piano to the right, etc.  However, the speakers didn’t completely disappear or create distinct positions of the instruments.

Specifics about the highs and lows:
The highs and mids were forward but, warm.  I didn’t find the highs fatiguing but, not exceptionally accurate either.  I don’t know if this due to break-in or my room but, the demo pair I heard were better in the highs and not as hard sounding.

The bass was also very good, clean and articulate.  It wasn’t exceptional, but very good.  The Bjork track had a lot of dynamics and a stand-up bass.  The VR1 didn’t quite get it.  The bass suffered a little and the highs were a little odd in a way that they couldn’t accurately reproduce that bass.  It was really close, though.

Overall, the speaker gave a good presentation that was a little midrange-heavy but, not bad.  I will follow-up after these speakers have had another couple of weeks to fully break in.

Next up was the GR-Research Diluceo.  

The Diluceo’s were placed on some 24” ‘stands’ initially but we moved them to the Skylan stands, which were a perfect height.  We positioned them closer to each other than the VR1’s, about 7’ apart instead of 9’ apart.

The Diluceo picked up the 2 missing pieces of the VR1… tighter bass and smoother highs.  With these 2 elements covered, the Diluceo’s sounded more accurate on the Bjork track.

The other thing the Diluceo’s accomplished was the separation of instruments within the soundstage.  Listening to Diana Krall’s 1st and 11th tracks, I could definitely hear the piano’s size and location.  This was a bit vague on the VR1’s but, was much more apparent with the Diluceo.

The Diluceo’s had nice, tight bass that added depth and realism to the music.  I was very surprised at how well they made instruments sound like themselves.

So, overall, smoother highs and better instrument separation from the Diluceo’s is what I heard.

In some small cases, I thought they may have been a little too smooth or laid back for my tastes but, more often than not, I found myself enjoying them a little more than the VR1’s.  

Lastly, the Onix Ref 1’s.

We placed the Ref 1’s on the Skylan stands in the same position as the Diluceo’s.  The Ref 1’s first song was the Bjork track and the Onix’s provided a bright but smooth sound to her voice and the horns.  The bass was punchy as well.  The midrange was good but was overpowered by the highs.  

The imaging was a bit thin; the stage didn’t have the depth of the 2 previous speakers.  The Ref 1’s didn’t have the realism of the Diluceo’s because of their tipped up sound.  Some of Bjork’s vocals were screechy to me and just made me cringe.  Conversely, the Diana Krall tracks had more depth and weight to them and the Ref 1’s sounded very respectable reproducing Diana’s voice and capturing the impact of small changes… such as moving from pedal to pedal on the piano.

So, the detail is there, and somewhat ‘in-your-face’ to me but, it’s not overly harsh… there is a smoothness to it.  If I had to keep these speakers, I’d probably want to rework the crossover.

Next… mini preamp comparisons:

Here’s the pre’s:

I call it ‘mini’ because this is the first time I’ve ever compared pre’s back to back and plan on doing another comparison later.

All this time we had been listening to the Eastern Electric Minimax.  I chose to use this one because it’s dead quiet and very neutral.  In fact, it’s so neutral and quiet, it pretty much sounds like solid state.  Also, the Dodd has a bad hum and will be getting fixed when Gary is back from CES.  We used Andy’s Diluceo’s for comparing the 2 pre’s….

There is nothing the Minimax preamp does wrong.  However, where’s the romance of tubes?  I would really like to experiment with different tubes, to get the warmth and life I know tubes can have.  Otherwise, all I can say is that this preamp sounded very good, had no particular coloration.  Ask me specifics and I’ll provide answers on this one…

Next up was the Dodd.  The Dodd was livelier and more ‘tubey’ and had to me, a more musical character.  I was very impressed with the sound (other than that #!%@ hum).  If it weren’t for the hum, I’d say I prefer the Dodd to the Eastern for the livelier, warmer sound.  Imaging seemed about the same.  I’d say the highs are slightly more extended with the Dodd as well.  The bass sounded about the same.

Lastly, we did some quick comparisons of the Scott Nixon tube DAC to my Museatex DAC that’s been modded by its creator to a much higher level.  

This comparison was unique in many regards.

My DAC is of course my reference so, I’ll comment what the SN DAC did differently first:

SN seems to provide more bass and better imaging.  However, the upper midrange and highs are not as forward as I like.  Also, there was a ‘nasal’ quality to some sounds that I couldn’t understand.  Some vocals that sounded open and clear on my DAC sounded a little more restrained on the SN dac.  

Another thing I noted was that sounds seemed to end quicker and not linger… As in when a note stops, it stops, the decay doesn’t last as long as my DAC.

Rocket

speaker/preamp comparison
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2004, 02:00 am »
Hi Carlman,

Thankx for your comments regarding your Mini-shootout between these products.

Have you decided which speaker you are going to keep or buy?  Or are you still going to keep looking and listening?

Imo once you have good quality equipment in your system ie. cdp/dac, preamp and amp, speakers offer the best improvement to your system, so getting that right is important.

I look forward to hearing about the ird preamp when it arrives and hopefully your hum problem with the dodd preamp will be resolved.

regards

rocket

Hantra

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:01 am »
C:

You did swap phase when using the Nixon DAC, right?

Good comparo, and good pics.  I hate I had to freaking WORK. . .

B

Carlman

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:12 am »
Tube pre's generally invert phase so, I assumed these did as well.  So, since the tube DAC also inverts phase, I had the polarity of the speaker terminals pos. amp to pos. speaker terminal for both DAC's.  I'm 99% sure my DAC inverts phase.  We checked it with a test CD as well.

I wish the Dodd came with a manual of some sort... and I also wish the Minimax's manual mentioned something about phase or polarity.... I had to assume they inverted.

BrunoB

Re: Review notes from Saturday
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:33 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Also, we listened to Yo La Tengo? And a great classical piece with loads of bass from Bruno as well as a violin solo. If you could both comment as to the exact titles, it would be appreciated.

Here are the classic titles I choose:

Maurice Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé, track # 6.

Prokofiev: Violin Concertos 1 & 2; Sonata for Solo Violin, track # 9.

I realized Saturday how different my acoustic tastes are from Carl's. I have an almost dead room (foam everywhere). I like to listen very close to the speaker . I like a headphone type of sound (minimum room contribution). To my ears, the differences between the three speakers were smaller than the difference between Carl's setup and mine (you can read Carl's commentshere). It was not easy for me to pay attention to the difference between the speakers preamps, and DACs  because I always had the impression that I was listening to the room.

Having said that, I would say that I have a preference for the Diluceo’s. They gave plenty of bass with the Ravel track. I was quite impressed by the build quality of Andy's speakers. The cabinet I knocked was completely dead. The finish was perfect.

I was also surprised by the Prokofiev solo violin, but unfortunately not in a good way. On my system, I have the impression that the soloist is standing in the middle  between the two speakers playing hard, breathing heavily, while the reverberation from the concert hall surrounds me. But here, I had the impression that there were two violins, one coming from each speaker. We checked the relative  polarity of the cables, tried the other speakers, tried the Tact room correction. It did not help much. I have no idea why the imaging did not work with this recording.

The Tact room correction system was quite impressive. It took only a few minutes to show the room frequency response on the computer screen.

I'd like to thank Carl for organising this listening session. It was a fun Saturday afternoon.

Bruno

BikeWNC

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:38 am »
I'd like to add a few comments to Carl's observations.  We only ran one frequency sweep with the Tact RCS.  There was a lot of ambient noise at the time and I normally run these when all is quiet late at night or early in the morning.  I applied a quick correction curve so that all could get an idea of how it might sound.  The frequency dropout at 110 hz was about 12 db and in itself is a problem so far as room correction is concerned.  I would have liked to run several more tests until we found the best location for the speakers, one that required the least correction especially any severe suckouts.

As far as the Diluceos are concerned, I don't find them polite or laid back though with gear that had those characteristics they would certainly play that way.  I think that they are pretty neutral in their approach to representing a particular signal.  They are very smooth, though I don't think they lose any detail.  They are just never bright, edgy or harsh.  They will sound better in the sweet spot than out due to the dispersion pattern of the ribbon.  But the sweet spot is generous in size.  I think that moving the Diluceos out into the room a bit might help with the bass boost at 40 hz and reduce the warm balance that made them seem more laid back than I experience in my room.  

Andy

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2004, 05:13 am »
Thank you Carl , Andy , and Bruno , for posting you comments. Very helpful ! And Carl...that room looks pretty nice, thanks for the pictures !!  :)

Carlman

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:33 pm »
I agree with Andy's assessment... more neutral is the right way to put it.  The Diluceo's seemed better to me in sound reproduction and imaging.  

To answer Rod, the end is near but, I will be trying one more pair of speakers, the Criterion's.  If they sound as good as the Diluceo's, that's probably what I'll end up with.  

I still need to wait until the VR1's are fully broken-in and my preamp hum is fixed before making any final decisions.  And, I'll need to find out whether I can get the Criterion's on a demo.

Thanks for the compliments on the room... There's been a lot of work done in there over the past week.  Sometimes it's nice not having a job. ;)

-C

BikeWNC

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:59 pm »
Carl.

What I remember about the Criterions is that they like power.  At 85-86 db they can sure soak it up.  That doesn't seem like it will be an issue with your amp.  Secondly, the Crits do not have as much punch as the Diluceos, which is no surprise as they have one instead of two mid-woofers.  You will most likely want to use the sub you have with the Criterions whereas with the Diluceos it would be an option in your room.  And finally, it is my recollection that the Criterions image slightly better than the Diluceos.  It may be a function of the MTM vs TM driver arrangement.  I also think the ribbon displays more vertical dispersion on the Crits, which may also be attributed to only having two drivers.

Andy

Hantra

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:09 pm »
Hey, do you guys have any pics of the Diluceos?  After you said they were MTM, it occurred to me that I didn't see them in the pics, and I don't even know what they look like. . .

Thx!

B

BrunoB

« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Hey, do you guys have any pics of the Diluceos?  After you said they were MTM, it occurred to me that I didn't see them in the pics, and I don't even know what they look like. . .

Thx!

B

Here is the GR research web page with a picture: http://www.gr-research.com/lucidity/diluceo.htm.

Andy's speakers look better in real life.

Bruno

BikeWNC

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2004, 06:08 pm »
Hey Brandon,

Here are a few pics from a thread over in the GR Research forum.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4479

Andy

audiojerry

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2004, 07:16 pm »
Thanks guys for reporting to the rest of us.
More positive impressions of some great products that we have been able to learn about and share on the Circle.

OBF

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2004, 09:56 pm »
Does anyone else have any comments on the MiniMax compared to the Dodd?  I'm interested in both........

Thanks.

BikeWNC

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2004, 10:19 pm »
OBF,

We really didn't spend too much time with the Dodd because of the hum problem it had.  I agree with Carl that the Minimax sounded like a ss pre with the stock tubes.  I would have liked to hear it with different tubes.  I think Carl plans to have a comparison for the preamps later in the month after the Dodd is repaired.  Hopefully he can get a few different tubes for the Minimax by then.

Andy