Software : Computer Audio Recommendations

toddbagwell

Re: Software : Computer Audio Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:29 pm »
Are there more programs? Did I miss your favorite? Reply and let others know what you think works well!

ashok

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:53 pm »
I would like to suggest Vortexbox: http://www.vortexbox.org. It is a Fedora linux based all-in-one ripping, tagging and playback software and makes use of many open-source projects. It also is a music server in the sense that it runs Squeezebox Server, iTunes server and a uPnP server.

There is a thread on Vortexbox in this circle (now on page 2).

toddbagwell

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:23 pm »
I would like to suggest Vortexbox: http://www.vortexbox.org. It is a Fedora linux based all-in-one ripping, tagging and playback software and makes use of many open-source projects. It also is a music server in the sense that it runs Squeezebox Server, iTunes server and a uPnP server.

There is a thread on Vortexbox in this circle (now on page 2).

I added a link to the thread in the sticky. thanks!

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:05 pm »
Could you explain how to use the google image search please?
Then, once you find the image you want, what do you do with it?

toddbagwell

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:28 pm »
step 1 : google what you want. I just got a Little Richard CD:

Step 2: click on "images" in the upper left corner:

Step 3: under the search field is "advanced search" click it and you'll get options. We're looking for image size:

Step 4: find the image that you want to use and save it to a location on your computer.

Step 5: (the following is how to add an image to iTunes on a windows PC [just playing the odds, and what i use]) Right click on the album, and you'll get a multiple field edit screen:

Step 6: paste your image into the artwork box.

This process will overwrite any artwork that you or itunes has added to the album.

To add to tracks loaded into mp3tag, highlight all the tracks, and click in the lower left corner to add artwork.

This process writes the images to each file's metadata. it can take a bit of time for each file to be added.

hope this helps,
todd

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:32 pm »
Wow, Todd, that was great.
I always let mp3tag look for the covers but they are limited by amazon on how many they allow per hour.  With your advise I can select image size from the get go and know how to get it to the correct tracks.
Thank you very much, Sir.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:47 pm »
You can also drag and drop the image from google images.

Get Info > drop into the square where the artwork goes.  Just select all tracks before doing this and you're all set. 

I've done this with hundreds of Cd's that artwork doesn't show up with Gracenote.

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:17 pm »
Don't forget about the sbooth.org Ripper, players, converter and tag programs.   Cog is another good choice.    Ruby riper us also one of the best for Linux. 

Bizarroterl

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2011, 10:04 pm »
Albumartdownloader (http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/ is another good tool for getting album art.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:33 am »
"MediaMonkey" will do Ripping, Tagging, Playback, and file conversion to and from FLAC. I also use it to burn audio CDs for listening to in the car.
I've only used the free version, but they offer a pay version with expanded capabilities.

Highly recommended.
Bob

p.s. Not sure if it fits here, but there's also free software for the various SqueezeBox devices that does EQ and DRC functions.
"inguzaudio.com"
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2011, 12:05 pm by Bob in St. Louis »

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:47 am »
Playback for the cool Apple guys: Pure Music

Excellent sound quality playback software uses iTunes database for library duties but avoids iTunes terrible playback engine. Built in 32 bit digital volume control, digital crossover and other features.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:31 am »
There is a way to get Media Monkey Gold for FREE, if you sign up for one of the other companies they partner with Medi Monkey Gold is FREE--I just started a Gamefly account and got Monkey for free....games, tunes..life is good..I' coming for ya Bob in GT5...LOL

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2011, 09:45 am »
Easy CD-DA Extractor.....

Link...

Review...

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2011, 08:01 pm »
 :thumb: I'm a fan of QuuxPlayer. Simple, very easy to set-up and use, very good sound quality. There are no skins, visualizations and other junk that has nothing to do with actual playback and sound quality. It does have a built-in graphic equalizer and will display album art.

gkinberg

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2011, 04:41 am »
Hi,

My name is Garth and I am currently using dbpoweramp to rip my CD's. My free trial has just ended and I have yet to rip a CD with the base version. Apparently, Tagging is not an option using the base software version. However, Todd showed how one can tag album art with the CD using google. Are there other issues using dbpoweramp's base version?

Ultimately, I would like to get one software that rips, tags and plays my music. I'm a PC guy and run windows 7. I realize that the best software might be specialized and I might need three seperate programs but would like one quality program that will do all three for cheep. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Garth

kevinh

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2011, 02:32 am »
Soft that has the functionality of the Cello Audio Palette from the guy who designed the original Palette. alos modifies digital music to improve playback. $469

http://www.burwenbobcat.com/BBTB_Home.html

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2011, 01:00 am »
Went to exactaudiocopy.de  It links to http://apps.foxtab.com/audioconverter/

I downloaded the software - and it won't even recognize the CD in my computer.  :(  (I have Windows 7.)

Edit - 5 minutes later.

I just went to www.mediamonkey.com, downloaded the software and am now making a copy of a CD onto my HD.

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2011, 01:19 am »
AudioMulch - An audio plugin host and all around swiss army knife for audio routing and processing. This one is reliable, has decent sound quality and excellent documentation so you can actually learn to use it. I ran 3rd party plugins in it for active crossover on PC. It comes with a lot of plugins and native processing components. Not free, but a long trial period with full functions.

Virtual Audio Cable - lets you connect any program's sound output to any other programs sound input, bypassing all hardware. For recording web stream, or for making incompatible programs talk to each other. Free.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2011, 11:01 pm »
Went to exactaudiocopy.de  It links to http://apps.foxtab.com/audioconverter/

I downloaded the software - and it won't even recognize the CD in my computer.  :(  (I have Windows 7.)

Edit - 5 minutes later.

I just went to www.mediamonkey.com, downloaded the software and am now making a copy of a CD onto my HD.

Well, after trying exactaudiocopy - it wouldn't read a CD in my drive. I just decided to go with iTunes and download my CD's in WAV files. Seems like the simple way to do things.