Vortexbox software

mcgsxr

Vortexbox software
« on: 5 Dec 2010, 02:06 pm »
I came across this idea from Larry (lcrim) in another thread I started about a thin client pc for use with my SB3 to act as my server, but thought a new thread prudent.

Could we start a thread for folks considering installing Vortexbox software on a spare PC, and help Squeezebox users get it all up and running?

I hope so, cause I think I am going to do it, and I am a complete Linux noob, and think that some online help from my friends would be great!

I have a spare Dell small form factor pc in my basement, that for the past 3 years or so had been running my music collection, run wired ethernet to my Bolder SB3.

As I understand it, from the Vortexbox site, I will need to download their software, burn it onto a disc, and then shove it into the PC, and let it overwrite to be the OS for that PC.

My worries begin there - can I run that unit with my monitor and access the Squeezebox software there as I always have?  Can I easily add an external usb drive to that?  I will want to, as I have 800G of FLAC on one now.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: Vortexbox software
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2010, 02:16 pm »
I experimented with Vortexbox on an old IBM Aptiva I had in the basement, it was pretty straightforward. The 1 question I had was quickly answered on the Vbox forum.

As for your questions, the answer to all but last is 'yes'.

The answer to using a USB device may be yes, but I didn't try that so can't speak to it.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2010, 02:20 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply - I have a habit (bad perhaps) of favoring this site as my main forum into the audio world, even when there are specific forums dedicated to other software etc.

It is my comfort with members here, and my desire to share experiences here, and learn from folks here I guess.

I know there are folks playing around with this s/w - why did you migrate away from it in the end?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:05 pm »
Mr Salk has a lot of experience with this device.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:30 pm »
I am noting that it appears that the Vortexbox requires an internet connection to work properly?

I currently have an "island" PC - wired via a crossover cable directly to my PC running the Squeezecenter s/w from my Bolder SB3.  Can I not do that with a Vortexbox?  Do I just need a router in there (to continue to use wired, but allow for IP address assignment)?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:36 pm »
I already had a WHS media server, but it was at 4TB, and 93% full. I opted to add 4x2TB drives to it, and got a SB Duet, then re-ripped all my music to flac on the WHS server.

So VBOX wasn't needed, and I gave the Aptiva to a guy at work who wanted it.

I know there are folks playing around with this s/w - why did you migrate away from it in the end?

Mightyburner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:54 pm »
A little off topic but I purchased the VB appliance and like it a lot.  A bit of a learning curve for a non-tech guy like me.  I think a thread where we can share ideas and questions would be Great.   :thumb:

Right now I'm struggling a bit to understand how to stream itunes (wth a folder or album view) and copy songs from the VB to my ipod.   :scratch:

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:49 pm »
I run Vortexbox too.  I bought a small Atom-based box, installed a 1 TB HD, DVD-reader, 1 MB of RAM (plenty), VB software, then proceeded to rip my collection to FLAC.

VB is not perfect, but it's still terrific.  On popular albums, it gets both the art and tags correct, which is a treat.  When it gets those wrong, it's easy to fix with mp3tag software and a hunt for the album art (rename the art to folder.jog and drop it into the folder where the music is stored). 

VB software needs to "own" the machine, so whatever box you plan to use will be Linux.... so if you speak Linux (I don't) it's a help with troubleshooting. 

The just released a major upgrade to VB software which migrates it to a new version of Linux.  I have not made that migration because it's a hassle (updates are usually trivial), but if I was starting now, that's what I'd use.

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:01 pm »
Mark:
The major drawback to lack of internet access would be the inability to get to freedb or accuraterip to proof the checksum obtained during the rip.  Also the ability to look for album cover art would be curtailed.
In my case I connect via a browser to port 9000 on the SBS box all the time and use that to check things out.  No network connection removes this as a possibility.   I set replay gain to make sure that levels are within a narrow range w/ Foobar which is installed on another laptop so I really need to see the SBS box on the network.
For what its worth, internet radio would be unavailable as well as mysqueezebox.com
Larry

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2010, 07:04 pm »
Good points all Larry - my current server has no access to the internet, so I don't currently have any internet radio, or those other net based services you mention - all my music is already ripped, I don't use album jpgs or anything anyway, so those drawbacks miss me too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:25 pm »
I have opened up a thread over on the Vortexbox forum, and will report back the answers here for the following questions:

Question 1 - does vortexbox need an internet connection to function?  I recognize that such a connection would be required for looking up tags, or artwork, or internet radio etc, but if I don't need those things (and I don't), can it run without that?

Question 2 – as my current setup does not have a router, can a PC setup with vortexbox be used directly connected to the SB3 with a crossover cable?

Question 3 – does vortexbox v1.6 include a GUI – ie, can I use my monitor and mouse to access setting up music to play on my SB3, or will I be only able to use the SB3 remote?

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:48 pm »
Decent response time over on the Vortexbox forum.

Answers below:

1. Yes, VortexBox needs a network connection.

2. You need a router.

3. VortexBox has a web GUI.

Hmmn, this makes it more complex for me to want to use - I happily run my music server isolated from the internet (no connection to the net means no viruses etc), so if this box needs a connection to function, that is less attractive to me.

I also prefer to run my SB3 directly off my current server - these answers lead me to believe I would have to insert a router between them (I do own a spare, and could still run wired), but would have to get a wireless adapter for my music server.

Perhaps for those with their main internet connection in the same room as their vortexbox, and for those more interested in a constantly connected (to the net) server, this is the right software for you.

I will sit and think.

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:33 pm »
Just last week I assembled a Atom based small form server with 2 GB RAM and 1 TB disk. That should be enough for 3000 CD's in lossless format.
The Vortexbox is based on Fedora 14 and it runs Squeezebox Server, the internet connection helps for regular updates of the software and operating system. I connected this server to my amp, and I understand that you also can use the SB3. I control the Vortexbox from my iPod with the iPeng app. I don't have experience with SB3, but I assume that it lets you select music and control volume.
My Out Of The Box experience is amazing, it all works right away. I did configure a static IP address (which is good practice for servers).

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:54 pm »
I agree 100% that the software platform appears to be excellent, and for those who value/trust having their server connected to the internet it seems a great solution. 

I know from experience that running my SB3 wirelessly can be difficult at times, and running wired is 100% reliable, so I am not moving away from that.

I will have to think about why I am concerned having my music server attached to the internet, and what reconfig I would need to do, to get mine setup to use Vortexbox s/w.

I did just burn the ISO to a disc though, so I must be interested!

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:19 pm »
Mark:
While linux OS' like Fedora that runs under Vortexbox are not immune to viruses, they are many, many times less likely to be infected. 
I really think that the need to connect to mysqueezebx.com and the online dB's to check your rips as well as the ability to connect to the Vortexbox w/ a browser interface makes it pretty much a necessity.
Your walls are not drywalled yet in the basement so the hassle of running an ethernet cable isn't near as bad as an attic.  I hate attics.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:32 pm »
I agree Larry, that with no drywall, I am in a good spot.

But, the issue for me is that, as I understand the answers here, I will have to run wirelessly from server to SB3 no?  That bugs me, since I bought a PC to put in that room, and DO run wired now.  I think what you are suggesting is that I could run ethernet from basement to where my router currently is?  I might move the router to the basement, and run a wireless USB on my current home PC, that way I could use an ethernet connection between my SB3 and my Vortexbox, but also have the Vortexbox "see" the internet.

Can a single device (PC in this case) run both wired and wirelessly at the same time?

In my case the server would run wirelessly to have a connection to the internet, but then also be run wired to the SB3. 

Can that happen?

Awkward I know.  A LAN Admin I am not!

lcrim

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:53 pm »
Mark:
Quick and dirty home LAN 101
You have a connection to the internet supplied by your InternetServiceProvider
Often your ISP will provide a device that includes a wireless broadband router but often you will need to get your own.
Either way this is the center of your network.  You have various spokes running back to this center.  Some of them may be wired and some may be wireless.
The idea is that they can communicate w/ each other and the internet.
A cable to the SB3 and one to the Vortexbox and if you have to choose, run the source (Vortexbox) wirelessly.  The SB3 will sound significantly better w/ the wlan card shut off.

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:54 pm »
Agreed Larry, and understood.

I think the complexity for me, is that I want 2 of my spokes to connect wired, while one of those also connects wirelessly.

lcrim

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2010, 10:04 pm »
Mark:
There is only one network and each device must connect to that network.  Once connected they can communicate w/ the other network clients.  But each should connect separately to the central router.

chip

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2010, 10:30 pm »
Here is a good little diagram to picture it -