Capacitors in power conditioners. Are there a difference?

Folsom

Re: Capacitors in power conditioners. Are there a difference?
« Reply #60 on: 26 Mar 2013, 06:35 pm »
Not really, unless perhaps he lives alone in a detached building.

Otherwise one of these "experiments" gone wrong can and will be investigated from all angles, from criminal negligence to first degree murder and/or arson.

Right, in the event of...

Folsom

« Reply #61 on: 26 Mar 2013, 08:55 pm »
Despite my initial use of a relay, and in respect to this thread, I did some testing.

I've found these resistors can dissipate heat so well they don't even get that warm even with very high capacitance (those of you with 7uf or so). They are really nice because you can chassis mount them with heat paste. If you are concerned about heat just double the amount of resistors you are using to achieve similar resistance rating. They appear to operate, while attached to a chassis, all the way down to 2kohm on AC mains, but I'd recommend two 3kohm or other combination to er on super safe, if you needed that much bleeding. Most of you probably won't need anywhere near that.

While the threat of prosecution is up, you would be as much to blame over a poorly put together amplifier, anything, so I'm not going to suggest people not use capacitors in AC application. Just do it right, and if you are not sure check on here with people that know what is going on. Just know it is lethal, and puts other people at risk; like driving.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2013, 12:01 am by Destroyer of Smiles. »

Napalm

« Reply #62 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:33 am »
I've found these resistors can dissipate heat so well they don't even get that warm even with very high capacitance (those of you with 7uf or so).

Tip: for power resistors look in the datasheet for the "Heat Rise" chart. It tells you what temperature rise (over the ambient) the resistor will have when loaded at a certain load expressed in percents of its rated maximum load. Then chose a resistor that not only meets the "rated" power requirements but also will heat up only as much as you can tolerate in your particular app.

Those resistors are nice, beyond a certain size/weight you need some form of secure mechanical attachment and they make it easy. I suggest you check newark they have a large selection, decent prices and an $8 flat rate shipping.