RSA vs UberBuss

roscoeiii

Re: RSA vs UberBuss
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2012, 04:22 pm »
That Rev B disappeared fast.  Glad to hear it went to a good home.  Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Yeah, I was crossing my fingers that it would arrive today, but looks like Monday. Will report back on all the combos I try out.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2012, 08:57 pm »
Well?  What is the prognosis Dr. Roscoe?  Does it brown the food?

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2012, 09:05 pm »
Hopefully I will have a chance to play with these this weekend.

audiogoober

« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2012, 11:56 am »
I had two custom uberbuss's in my system along with a furman spr-20i power regulator for over a year, then I fell on the chance to compare everything to a RSA Dmitri. Using just the Dmitri provided drastic improvements in all areas. I now use just the Dmitri.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2012, 09:46 pm »
Hopefully I will have a chance to play with these this weekend.
Did you get a chance to play with them and form any opinions???  :hyper: :hyper:

rbwalt

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:44 pm »
i have heard that the RSA Dmitri is a very fine unit. i have Jaco and have no complaints. remember that different power cords are going to make a difference so chose wisely on both.

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:45 pm »
Running out the door, but details later today or tomorrow.

roscoeiii

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2012, 05:53 pm »
Sorry for the delay in reporting my impressions. I had perviously had a RevB with a Shunyata Guardian 4, and that was an excellent combo for me. But, in need of extra outlets, I sold off that combo to get a RSA Haley. I chose the Haley because it offered both conditioning and surge protection, something that the Buss line doesn't have (BUT Dave has just introduced a surge protector to his line).

When I decided to try a RevB, I paired it with the RSA Haley and compared it to the Haley alone. I wouldn't ultimately be running it without any surge protection, and didn't have a 20A power cord long enough to try just the RevB itself.

Ultimately, I didn't hear much difference between the Haley alone and the Haley + RevB. If I had to guess I'd say that the Haley and the RevB are doing much the same things to improve the power from the wall (or they achieve similar results via different approaches). But I didn't get the type of clearly noticeable cumulative effect that I got with the RevB + Shunyata combo. I will also say that I didn't A/B these combos very extensively, so there could've been improvements that I missed at first blush (a great deal on an Audiomods tonearm led me to sell the RevB).

As always, this is in my system and with my power (both factors that I find play a big role in finding an ideal power conditioner match for a given buyer.

Both are excellent and I have seen both improve the sound of my system. The RSA has the advantages of built in surge protection and voltage regulation (another benefit for my fluctuating power voltage in my apt). The RevB on the other hand costs much less than the Haley. And even when paired with a suitable surge protector would still likely come in at less than the cost of a new Haley.

I should also mention that I know that others here have found the Uber to be considerably more impactful in their systems (Big Red Machine for one). That would be my next step in exploring the PI Audio line, when funds permit. Also, I must mention that Dave at PI Audio is great to deal with, and can't be more highly recommended. A super guy, who also offers a trial period for his products, so you have little to lose in trying out products in the Buss line.

OK, to make up for my delay I decided to make my impressions post extra-long.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 3 Aug 2012, 06:54 pm »
Does anyone know what the RSA units actually do?  I don't see anything on the website that really says what they do.  I checked out the Silver Circle Audio site too and I found nothing. 

Anyone know of any data?

http://www.runningspringsaudio.com/

http://www.silvercircleaudio.com/Html/pro.htm

roscoeiii

« Reply #29 on: 3 Aug 2012, 07:10 pm »
Don' t have the time to look into it, but the first few pages of 6moons articles are usually good about giving these sorts of details:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/rsa/haley.html

You might also check the Tone Audio reviews of these units for details.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 3 Aug 2012, 07:18 pm »
Don' t have the time to look into it, but the first few pages of 6moons articles are usually good about giving these sorts of details:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/rsa/haley.html

You might also check the Tone Audio reviews of these units for details.
Thanks.  I guess I wouldn't think that I need to go to one of these to get technical details such as this.

"The 6-outlet Haley performs voltage stabilization to 123V within 4ms from power-on and thus acts as a quasi regulator during short-term voltage sags or spikes. However, it eschews any DSP, feedback or power regeneration à la PS Audio or ExactPower."

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 3 Aug 2012, 07:24 pm »
Yes, with my nasty Chicago power, the voltage regulation was one aspect of the RSA Haley that appealed a lot to me. My APC unit's display showed that the voltage fluctuates a good deal here.

That, and reports (borne out in my experience) of the RSA not limiting dynamics when amps are plugged into them.

Lissnr

« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2012, 08:49 pm »
Although I can't comment on the RSA, my experience with the Pi Audio equipment in general has been very positive. I stumbled upon a Rev B that a neighbor of mine was touting and lent me for a weekend. By Sunday night I convinced him he should go ahead and dig up the extra scratch to buy the Uber he was talking about (the next step up in the chain, as he explained it) because I wanted to give him what he paid for the Rev B. as I didn't want to remove it from my system.
My previos line conditioners are varied...ranging from the original Power Wedge 116 mk2 back in the day, and most recently the MIT series where I used both a Z-Center and an HC (Hi current version of the Z-center) to handle my digital and analog source components independently. They are effective and reliable units which served me well.
I introduced the Rev.B INTO my system [without removing either MIT] by using it as a conditioner for my multiple amps and external electronic crossover as well as my powered subwoofer...all originally plugged into the wall and now: all into the Rev B. (I bi-amp my speakers w/ a pair of monos into my woofers and a stereo amp into my mid/tweeters). I never really expected much difference and I was a bit suspicious about whether the load through it would be acceptable but not only was it completely up to the task, that little Rev.B opened up another level of transparency as well as improving the overall "jump factor" in dynamics and another degree of air/space/soundstage/believability of my entire system.
To say I was impressed was an understatement .
Since then I have also moved up to a brand new Uber and sold my Rev. B ( BTW:that took only a few hours ...they are rightfully in high demand). Just last week I took delivery of my second new Uber (this one I did with a 20Amp IEC for its' wall connection) which I swapped in place of the first one (I wanted the 20A version to handle my amps, as described) and the first one has now taken the place of one of my MIT's (the Z-center, which was handling my digital source components that includes a Jolida JD100 player [acting as transport] into my Bryston BDA-1 DAC as well as an extra Sony CD/SACD multi-disc player). The improvement now was even more evident than before...It's the open-ness along with increased dynamics that really stand-out the most...the old saying of "More THERE there".
I couldn't be happier. My Z-Center will probably find it's way to a home theatre someday...
All that's left is to decide whether one more Uber is in the cards to handle my analog gear (pre amp, turntable and [separate] phono stage...) Time (and $$$) will tell but for now, as I said, what a great product .
For the record I have pretty good voltage stability here in NY, except for some summer drops...I use what's called an ABET model 2201 whole house conditioner which also acts as a voltage stabilizer and that's about it for surge protection...
Best of luck with your choice, hope my 2 cents helped. Happy Lissn'n  PS Thanks again Dave (and Charles!)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:12 pm »
  You are quite welcome. Now using two  myself. One for  digital front end one for all else.

charles