Supporting DSD files via BDP-1 or BDP-2

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Supporting DSD files via BDP-1 or BDP-2
« Reply #20 on: 8 Sep 2013, 03:18 pm »

I think DSD is not really so much of a necessity from sound quality perspective but rather the wish of industry to induce yet another cost on us by making us believe it is something we need. I'd much rather they perfect the PCM technique.

Cheers!
Antun

As the leading DSD home boy here on AC I want to say some things.
1)  You can be sure that James and his Bryston team will do the right things when it comes to "DSD retrofitting", as just adding the ability for the chip to read it is not nearly the whole solution.  DSD filtering, etc is as important, and those DACs that just add it on have seen their feedback to be average at best.  With Bryston's track record there is no way James will do this half-way (assuming they go forward)
2)  I am constantly amazed at the perspective of "PCM is better so why do DSD", like it needs to be a contest??  Gold is better than silver, but if you stumbled upon an old silver mine with huge veins of silver, would you think twice about vastly improving your net worth because it means you're gonna have to own both gold and silver??  DSD is not better than PCM, it just allows us access to thousands of recordings that have been transferred (or natively recorded/mastered in some cases) to DSD, and are not available in any other hirez option.  If you can find the original master (be it PCM  or dusty ole analog tapes) go for it, but in vast majority of the cases the DSD files are the closest generation to the original we are going to get.    Go for it.

R. Daneel

« Reply #21 on: 8 Sep 2013, 03:45 pm »
As the leading DSD home boy here on AC I want to say some things.
1)  You can be sure that James and his Bryston team will do the right things when it comes to "DSD retrofitting", as just adding the ability for the chip to read it is not nearly the whole solution.  DSD filtering, etc is as important, and those DACs that just add it on have seen their feedback to be average at best.  With Bryston's track record there is no way James will do this half-way (assuming they go forward)
2)  I am constantly amazed at the perspective of "PCM is better so why do DSD", like it needs to be a contest??  Gold is better than silver, but if you stumbled upon an old silver mine with huge veins of silver, would you think twice about vastly improving your net worth because it means you're gonna have to own both gold and silver??  DSD is not better than PCM, it just allows us access to thousands of recordings that have been transferred (or natively recorded/mastered in some cases) to DSD, and are not available in any other hirez option.  If you can find the original master (be it PCM  or dusty ole analog tapes) go for it, but in vast majority of the cases the DSD files are the closest generation to the original we are going to get.    Go for it.

I don't disagree on anything you have said. What I was referring to is constant bombardment with fancy acronyms that keeps the sales up. The availability of digital technology has turned everyone into an expert and so now there are dozens of companies that didn't even exist a year ago and all of them claim they have invented or perfected something when in fact all they did was stand on the shoulders of someone else and are now repackaging and selling it like fast food. If something is wrong, then it isn't their responsibility because it didn't require them any discipline to attain the knowledge so they will say it is the limitation of the format. It cannot lead to something that is better, just more readily available but not necessarily cheaper. Bryston is a counter-thesis to that and that is why I like their style.

Sorry for going off-topic here.

Cheers!
Antun

klao

« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm »
Just an current anecdote from studio work with regards to DSD.

We have a small project with Bernie Grundman; he has already restored, re-mastered, and cut lacquers from our original reel tapes that were recorded almost 40 years ago.  Did ask him to do the DSD remastering direct from those analogue tapes as well.  His tech team seemed to prefer the DSD64 over DSD128, but at the end Bernie felt decoding this old recording to DSD would degrade the sound.  He's recommending 96/24 LPCM route for us instead.

I don't know why; perhaps it has to do with the nature of this simple, home-made recording and/or the fragile state of those notorious Ampex 7.5 ips tapes from the 70's ???

Looks like I don't need to upgrade my Bryston BDA-1 to playback the digital master of this project just yet.  :)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2013, 12:52 am »
Hi John

Chris is working on it now but I am restricted from beating him more than twice a day !

james

I happen to know for a fact that isn't true

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 12 Sep 2013, 12:54 am »
Would the Manic Moose software be able to install in BDP-1 and decode DSD as well, James?

Thanks.
[/quote

The firmware is being actively developed on both the BDP-1 & 2

Cheers
Chris

Ron D

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2013, 05:16 pm »
OK so we now have confirmation that software work is being done on the BDP units to make DSD files work....

What needs to be done to the BDA-2 for those of us that do not use the BDP units and is there a tentative timeline for implementation?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2013, 05:42 pm »
OK so we now have confirmation that software work is being done on the BDP units to make DSD files work....

What needs to be done to the BDA-2 for those of us that do not use the BDP units and is there a tentative timeline for implementation?

That's much further away Ron.

james

skunark

« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:16 pm »
Sounds like another stick needs to be purchased?     Then we can have a viral video of Bryston dual-ling it out in the parking lot.

Since the dac chip in the BDA-1 also supports DSD is that a possibility to do a software upgrade as well or was there a design changed needed?   

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #28 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:02 pm »
Sounds like another stick needs to be purchased?     Then we can have a viral video of Bryston dual-ling it out in the parking lot.

Since the dac chip in the BDA-1 also supports DSD is that a possibility to do a software upgrade as well or was there a design changed needed?   

Jim

Not sure on that Jim - will check with engineering - I assume a hardware change.

james

Marius

« Reply #29 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:09 pm »
Not exactly a stick, but this Shiit product seems worth a try for the time being?
http://schiit.com/products/loki

Marius

Jim

skunark

« Reply #30 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:28 pm »
I'm currently using all the digital inputs but the two BNC inputs on the BDA and really don't have space for another DAC.  Besides with the BDP-1, the bus-powered USB DAC (100mA) + bus-powered USB HDD (500mA on power up) would exceed the 500mA current limit.  It's an interesting solution to play DSD64 for BDP-2 or any computer based setup and for bargain price of $149.    I really pleased with the BDA-1, so i will wait for an upgrade or the BDA-3, or wait until i hear something better.