Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

Early B.

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #240 on: 7 Oct 2022, 01:53 pm »
One of the things these amps are doing is restructuring where you spend your audio dollars. In the not-too-distant past, a huge chunk of your audio budget went toward big amps. Today, the amp can be your least costly component. The highest cost component has shifted to DACs.   

catluck

« Reply #241 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:50 pm »
Ron5 - sorry for the late reply. I auditioned Leo's Starkrimson monos not the Ultra.

As to the largest share of the audio dollars being spent on the DAC, I wonder about that.  For instance, the Okto Research DAC 8 Stereo, which has RAVE reviews from all who have auditioned/tested it, sells for $1,500.  Yeah, it's currently out of stock and you have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery. I know because I've purchased two. But when Atkinson favorably compares the DAC to the $15K MBL well... I can say, after auditioning a Weiss 502 for about 6 months (a audiophile client -cardiologist- went on sabbatical to France and let me use his Weiss) the Okto is every bit as musical. I haven't gone to exotic DACs - just couldn't muster the courage to spend that kind of dough. So exotic could be truly different.  But when a product receives comments like,

"Not only does the Okto dac8 Stereo offer superb sound quality and state-of-the-art measured performance; its price is a fraction of what you'd pay for competing products. The only strikes against it are that the lead time on orders is quite lengthy, 6–8 weeks when I wrote this, according to the Okto Research website, and that service and support must come from overseas. A winner, nonetheless!"  John Atkinson, Stereophile, Jan. 20, 2021

"Okto's dac8 Stereo performed supremely well on the test bench.—John Atkinson

"okto has done it again: producing state-of-the-art, class-leading, instrument-grade DAC. Not only that, the mechanicals and usability are a good match for it as well. When someone as picky as me can't find any faults, you can tell the job is well done. Very well done.  It is my pleasure to highly recommend the okto dac8 stereo DAC."   Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review, Amir, ASR Review, Jul 14, 2020

I can say the OR DAC 8 is an outstanding piece in direct comparison to the Weiss which is also very highly regarded. My point is that dollars allocated to expensive exotic DAC's may not be the best allocation.  I'm wondering if speakers shouldn't get the larger share if/when I can purchase a $1,500 DAC competitive with DACs at 10x the price?  I'm not aware of a cheaper speaker that out-performs the M3's.  So in my case, it's now the speakers that are the most expensive components of my system.  But, as always, to each his/her own.

Mr. Big

« Reply #242 on: 7 Oct 2022, 03:16 pm »
Just out. Looks really well made.

https://www.denafrips.com/terminator-plus

To commemorate DENAFRIPS’s 12 years of digital audio excellence, the Terminator Plus 12th Anniversary Edition features performance enhancements one would never thought possible.

If you’re a music lover and you want the best listening experience, one of the key ingredients in the quality of your sound is the digital-to-analog converter or DAC.

Terminator Plus 12th DAC is built upon the success of the award-winning original Terminator DAC. DENAFRIPS engineering team pushes the boundaries further in all aspects, to reach new heights.

Mr. Big

« Reply #243 on: 7 Oct 2022, 03:26 pm »
This Gallium Nitride class D amp thread has been a fun read for me.  I have never been so engaged with class D amps until now.  I owned PS Audio's S300 and M700 mono blocks, but did not try them with my X5s as I sold the M700s to pursue tubes and the S300 was used in my second system with the PS Audio Gain Cell DAC.  They use MOSFETs anyway, so the newer technology is much better from what I'm reading.

It's amazing how some are praising the MiniGan5 and how it is crushing their well respected brands.  This is probably frustrating to some because they've spent a lot of money on a major brand and find it difficult to understand how this inexpensive, lightweight product is able to perform at an astonishing level and cost pennies compared to most hi-end brands.  That may be why some have found a myriad of reasons to avoid the product without even hearing it, even after fellow forum members have praised it and they're using the same speaker manufacturer that we all own.  Stereophile may praise a component, but they're not using Spatial Audio in the review, yet we value their opinion.  If you can't audition a piece of gear, what do you do, you read reviews and forums.  In fact, you're reading this forum about the MiniGan5s, so that confirms you read reviews/forums to gather information about a hifi product.  Lol...  Most of us bought the Spatials without hearing them.  I think the good reviews on this MiniGan5 forum is real and just as trustworthy as a magazine published review.  I'm ok with an inexpensive product embarrassing my Luxman.  I could sell it, buy the inexpensive piece and put money in the bank!  Many good questions and concerns have been mentioned about the company, but Don Sachs is a one man show and I haven't heard anyone having heartburns about him retiring or unable to provide support due to an emergency situation.  I'm sure some would question our Spatial Audio purchase because Spatial Audio is a small company.  I was concerned about Spatial Audio being a new and small company, but after communicating with Clayton several times, I took a chance and pulled the trigger and I don't regret it because Clayton stands behind his product.   

Concerning the fear of loss in a resale scenario of the MiniGan5s, I have another perspective.  I bought a brand new Luxman L-509x integrated in 2021 for $10k.  The Luxman L-509x are going for around $6.5k used, so when I do the math, I could potentially lose $3.5K in a resale vs. my fellow forum members, literally, giving away their MiniGan5s for free and only losing the $1,500 bucks that they paid for it.  I think the MiniGan5 owners are in better shape than me. :duh:  If you bought your expensive gear used, you might be in better shape than me, but you still may end up losing more money than the MiniGan5 owners because their product is very inexpensive and doesn't have the potential for a big loss!

If you buy anything new you will loss money when sold, a new car is the same thing. But though you may lose 3.5K off full retail price you still have 6.5K that could be used for another piece of gear and cost you zip on that next piece of gear if preowned could be 10K or even more new retail. So its all relative. You have 6.5K in the bank to use when you sell, if you do.

mick wolfe

« Reply #244 on: 7 Oct 2022, 04:42 pm »
This Gallium Nitride class D amp thread has been a fun read for me.  I have never been so engaged with class D amps until now.  I owned PS Audio's S300 and M700 mono blocks, but did not try them with my X5s as I sold the M700s to pursue tubes and the S300 was used in my second system with the PS Audio Gain Cell DAC.  They use MOSFETs anyway, so the newer technology is much better from what I'm reading.

It's amazing how some are praising the MiniGan5 and how it is crushing their well respected brands.  This is probably frustrating to some because they've spent a lot of money on a major brand and find it difficult to understand how this inexpensive, lightweight product is able to perform at an astonishing level and cost pennies compared to most hi-end brands.  That may be why some have found a myriad of reasons to avoid the product without even hearing it, even after fellow forum members have praised it and they're using the same speaker manufacturer that we all own.  Stereophile may praise a component, but they're not using Spatial Audio in the review, yet we value their opinion.  If you can't audition a piece of gear, what do you do, you read reviews and forums.  In fact, you're reading this forum about the MiniGan5s, so that confirms you read reviews/forums to gather information about a hifi product.  Lol...  Most of us bought the Spatials without hearing them.  I think the good reviews on this MiniGan5 forum is real and just as trustworthy as a magazine published review.  I'm ok with an inexpensive product embarrassing my Luxman.  I could sell it, buy the inexpensive piece and put money in the bank!  Many good questions and concerns have been mentioned about the company, but Don Sachs is a one man show and I haven't heard anyone having heartburns about him retiring or unable to provide support due to an emergency situation.  I'm sure some would question our Spatial Audio purchase because Spatial Audio is a small company.  I was concerned about Spatial Audio being a new and small company, but after communicating with Clayton several times, I took a chance and pulled the trigger and I don't regret it because Clayton stands behind his product.   

Concerning the fear of loss in a resale scenario of the MiniGan5s, I have another perspective.  I bought a brand new Luxman L-509x integrated in 2021 for $10k.  The Luxman L-509x are going for around $6.5k used, so when I do the math, I could potentially lose $3.5K in a resale vs. my fellow forum members, literally, giving away their MiniGan5s for free and only losing the $1,500 bucks that they paid for it.  I think the MiniGan5 owners are in better shape than me. :duh:  If you bought your expensive gear used, you might be in better shape than me, but you still may end up losing more money than the MiniGan5 owners because their product is very inexpensive and doesn't have the potential for a big loss!

I'm a bit baffled :scratch:, but that's nothing new. If I had a Luxman 509, I wouldn't be terribly worried about the MiniGan 5's. That is unless the Luxman is somehow not cutting it with the Spatial's. I have a the smaller MiniGan3 version btw. Regardless, I'd still keep the Luxman and just buy the MiniGan 5's.  If the 5's end up the clear winner, only then would I consider selling the Luxman. This also contingent on the Spatial being the speaker you'll be married to for the rest of your life. Bottom line and if it were me, I'd probably keep both. With this all said, maybe I'm missing a key point mentioned earlier in this thread.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #245 on: 7 Oct 2022, 05:42 pm »
I'm following this thread for weeks now as I'm considering a new amp to power my front three X3s.  I currently use the Parasound Halo A52+ (class A A/B) to power the X3s and my two, 4 Ohm, rear SVS Ultra bookshelf surrounds.  My X3s sound great to me so my first thought is to get the Parasound A31 to drive the X3s.  But, class D amps are all the rage right now.  I was looking at the new Purifi 1ET400A amp (in the NAD and others amp makers).  Buckeye is making a new Purifi 1ET400A based three channel amp with some positive feedback from consumers.  That was until the NAD M33 was completely trashed by Ron at New Record Day for being "too digital" sounding with a thin mid-range and "screechy" treble.  It's a MOSFET module.  Not sure I can trust any Purifi based amplifier now.

I come now to GANFET amplifiers.  This amplifier appears to have advantages over MOSFET.  But, again, lovers and haters.  I'm not ready to make a buy decision and not interested in tube amplifiers.  So, I'll wait on the sidelines, looking for folks with Spatial speakers actually using the new GANFET amplifiers.  The Parasound A31 is still my top choice.  This is going to be a supremely tough decision.

Marcus

Early B.

« Reply #246 on: 7 Oct 2022, 05:59 pm »
I'm following this thread for weeks now as I'm considering a new amp to power my front three X3s.  I currently use the Parasound Halo A52+ (class A A/B) to power the X3s and my two, 4 Ohm, rear SVS Ultra bookshelf surrounds.  My X3s sound great to me so my first thought is to get the Parasound A31 to drive the X3s.  But, class D amps are all the rage right now.  I was looking at the new Purifi 1ET400A amp (in the NAD and others amp makers).  Buckeye is making a new Purifi 1ET400A based three channel amp with some positive feedback from consumers.  That was until the NAD M33 was completely trashed by Ron at New Record Day for being "too digital" sounding with a thin mid-range and "screechy" treble.  It's a MOSFET module.  Not sure I can trust any Purifi based amplifier now.

My prediction -- both the Purifi and GanFET amps will destroy your Parasound in the first round. Yeah, I know -- that's a pretty bold statement. You have nothing to lose by trying either one. If it doesn't work out for you, return it. If I'm right, sell your Parasound and the new amp costs you nothing.   

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #247 on: 7 Oct 2022, 06:29 pm »
[quote author=Desertpilot link=topic=183099.msg1926187#msg1926187 date=166516455
I come now to GANFET amplifiers.  This amplifier appears to have advantages over MOSFET.  But, again, lovers and haters.
[/quote]

i can not imagine anyone who has heard one actually hating it.  could see them preferring the bloom of tubes or something - but these new amps do almost nothing WRONG.

PS i can imagine someone who has not heard one hating it.  i was a class D hater til recently.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #248 on: 7 Oct 2022, 06:41 pm »
If you buy anything new you will loss money when sold, a new car is the same thing. But though you may lose 3.5K off full retail price you still have 6.5K that could be used for another piece of gear and cost you zip on that next piece of gear if preowned could be 10K or even more new retail. So its all relative. You have 6.5K in the bank to use when you sell, if you do.
I understand what you’re saying.  I was just making a point that the MiniGan5s are really inexpensive and the loss is not as great as mine would be, given the scenario I posed.  If we take our time to learn more about these new class D offerings and take advantage of the trial periods, we may not need to waste money on an expensive class A or A/B amp if it’s inferior to the class D offerings?  A $3.5k loss is still worse than a $1.5k loss anyway you look at it.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #249 on: 7 Oct 2022, 07:01 pm »
I'm a bit baffled :scratch:, but that's nothing new. If I had a Luxman 509, I wouldn't be terribly worried about the MiniGan 5's. That is unless the Luxman is somehow not cutting it with the Spatial's. I have a the smaller MiniGan3 version btw. Regardless, I'd still keep the Luxman and just buy the MiniGan 5's.  If the 5's end up the clear winner, only then would I consider selling the Luxman. This also contingent on the Spatial being the speaker you'll be married to for the rest of your life. Bottom line and if it were me, I'd probably keep both. With this all said, maybe I'm missing a key point mentioned earlier in this thread.
I have no desire to get rid of my Luxman or pursue any amps at this time.  I’m actually selling my X5s pretty soon, so my post was about having an open mind to a cheap made product that could possibly outperform my Luxman or any other high line amp that the forum members may have.

morganc

« Reply #250 on: 7 Oct 2022, 07:27 pm »

I come now to GANFET amplifiers.  This amplifier appears to have advantages over MOSFET.  But, again, lovers and haters.  I'm not ready to make a buy decision and not interested in tube amplifiers.  So, I'll wait on the sidelines, looking for folks with Spatial speakers actually using the new GANFET amplifiers.  The Parasound A31 is still my top choice.  This is going to be a supremely tough decision.

Marcus

I believe the NAD modules take the basic Purifi module and build a fancy box, nothing more using the basic hypex inputs.  The key I believe is getting the right opamps for these. Check out the three channel VTV.

I have the NCore based VTV 3 channel for my Ht set up that uses the NX Studio monitors from GR Research and it sounds great. I believe the Purifi module with Any of the various upgraded Opamps would be an even better fit. 

I was about to pull the trigger on just such an amp when I found this Class D Gan Fet. I Have the stereo unit now and the monos arrive today. Not sure I’ll try the VTV now but perhaps I will one day under the trial period just for fun.

Definitely worth a try if you have a few bucks to spare.  Low risk investment IMO.  Great customer service and shipped within one day. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #251 on: 7 Oct 2022, 08:39 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my amp purchase decisions.  I agree, for nominal cost, I can try these Class D amps and return them if I'm not happy.

My top contenders:
The Class D Mini GAN 5 (three monoblocks).  15 day trial.
The Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier, 3-channel:  https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/purifi-1et400a-amplifier-3-channel.  30 day trial.

I'll give it a try. 

Marcus

morganc

« Reply #252 on: 7 Oct 2022, 10:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my amp purchase decisions.  I agree, for nominal cost, I can try these Class D amps and return them if I'm not happy.

My top contenders:
The Class D Mini GAN 5 (three monoblocks).  15 day trial.
The Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier, 3-channel:  https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/purifi-1et400a-amplifier-3-channel.  30 day trial.

I'll give it a try. 

Marcus

I wasn’t aware that Buckeye uses a Custom Input Buffer board so I bet that’s one of the reasons they have a good reputation. 

Just got the Monos set up and these guys definitely will need some break in as the monos are not as open and spacious as the Stereo unit that I have that’s well broken in. Just wanted to post that for others as I have the two to compare first hand. 

Bingenito

« Reply #253 on: 7 Oct 2022, 10:27 pm »
The later uses 1 shared ps for 3 channels. My lean would be dual mono/ mono blocks.

newzooreview

« Reply #254 on: 7 Oct 2022, 11:24 pm »
these guys definitely will need some break in as the monos are not as open and spacious as the Stereo unit that I have that’s well broken in.

My Mini GaN 5 monoblocks are on 208 hours of break-in now. There has been additional opening up and relaxing since the ~150 hour mark. I don't know yet if I'm near the end of break-in.

Mr. Big

« Reply #255 on: 8 Oct 2022, 12:09 am »
I understand what you’re saying.  I was just making a point that the MiniGan5s are really inexpensive and the loss is not as great as mine would be, given the scenario I posed.  If we take our time to learn more about these new class D offerings and take advantage of the trial periods, we may not need to waste money on an expensive class A or A/B amp if it’s inferior to the class D offerings?  A $3.5k loss is still worse than a $1.5k loss anyway you look at it.

Class A-A/B have been around for years, and over those years they have become better and better, Class D is new and from what I found on Youtube and on the net, every Tom, Dick, and Harry is selling them, why because they are cheap and easy to DIY. No your loss on a no-name class D is still a loss with little back for the sale even if someone will buy it, at least with the Luxman you got 6.5K back, but hey it's your money.  :)

Is class D the future, well it might be then it might not, but to be honest the boomers are the audio hobby and as they die off then younger folks may be the class D people, but right now I know several dealers who sell class D and say they are good for the money but it ends then, gobs of power on the cheap. See the luxman pocket the money and buy the Class amps that be a smart move. You pocket a lot of money. You buy new it loses value, to expect that not to happen makes no sense. But the band wagon is Class D on this post so go for it, got zip to lose only $1,400 and that not even one of my power cords, smile! Yes, I'm nuts.   :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #256 on: 8 Oct 2022, 12:30 am »
Class A-A/B have been around for years, and over those years they have become better and better, Class D is new and from what I found on Youtube and on the net, every Tom, Dick, and Harry is selling them, why because they are cheap and easy to DIY.

Cheap and easy DIY is certainly a good thing for the consumer for three reasons -- nearly anyone can build an amp, sameness spurs competition, and you can more easily discern differences in build quality. 

Until 2 years ago, I wasn't a fan of Class D. With the introduction of Purifi modules and now GanFet, the game has changed. Yeah, the older audiophiles will likely remain skeptical and that's OK. I have an older friend with massive monoblocks and he's not gonna part with them because they're too heavy. If he wanted to sell them, he'd be limited to a local pickup and would likely get far less money for them. I've offered to bring over one of my Class D amps to demo in his home, but he doesn't want to be tempted in upgrading.

Glad to see that you're taking the plunge...

RonN5

« Reply #257 on: 8 Oct 2022, 12:55 am »
NewZoo… what is the power rating of your monos?

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #258 on: 8 Oct 2022, 01:44 am »
Class A-A/B have been around for years, and over those years they have become better and better, Class D is new and from what I found on Youtube and on the net, every Tom, Dick, and Harry is selling them, why because they are cheap and easy to DIY. No your loss on a no-name class D is still a loss with little back for the sale even if someone will buy it, at least with the Luxman you got 6.5K back, but hey it's your money.  :)

Is class D the future, well it might be then it might not, but to be honest the boomers are the audio hobby and as they die off then younger folks may be the class D people, but right now I know several dealers who sell class D and say they are good for the money but it ends then, gobs of power on the cheap. See the luxman pocket the money and buy the Class amps that be a smart move. You pocket a lot of money. You buy new it loses value, to expect that not to happen makes no sense. But the band wagon is Class D on this post so go for it, got zip to lose only $1,400 and that not even one of my power cords, smile! Yes, I'm nuts.   :lol:
As I stated in my last post, I’m not looking to buy or sell anything.  I gave a scenario using my Luxman as an example of how it could be more cost effective to buy an inexpensive class D amp IF it outperforms my Luxman or any high dollar amp the forum members may own.  You keep mentioning I could get $6.5k back from the sale of my Luxman.  I think you’re missing my point, the $6.5k return doesn’t help my bottom line loss of $3.5k vs. the GanFet amp owner, who could literally give his amp away, and only lose the $1.5k that he paid for it?  He could sell it and get something for it, but that wasn’t part of my scenario.  They never spent $10k, to begin with, to have a concern about trying to get $6.5k back from a sale, so the bottom line is, the $3.5k is a greater loss than $1.5k anyway you look at it. Again, I’m not selling my Luxman, so no money losses for me. 

I’m trying to understand why some seem to have such a negative point of view on the product these guys are praising and they’ve never heard it?  Everyone thought Elon Musk’s electric cars were a fad and a joke.  Now, Elon Musk runs the show as the most valuable automobile manufacturer in the world.  That’s shockingly insane for a young EV manufacturer to take the lead in a world of gasoline vehicles.  Class D has the ability to be has good or better than the amps we all know and love.  I understand, who wants to see these tiny little mono block amps sitting next to their gear when we’re used to seeing the gigantic beasts sitting on our amp stands?  I’ll be honest, I can’t stand the way they look, but I respect what they bring to the table.  LOL…. It’s hard to believe that these little cheap amps are giving the big boys a run for their money.

You mentioned every Tom, Dick and Harry on YouTube, etc., is selling their class D amps as if the same are not selling their class A/B amps.  It’s fine to love and keep what you have, I’m just saying I’m open to the possibility that these cheap little amps may crush my current amp and I think some are afraid to admit the same. :D

catluck

« Reply #259 on: 8 Oct 2022, 02:06 am »
Seems DBT is far more right than wrong.  It's somewhat puzzling to see condemnation and/or justification for denying the validity of the GanFet solution by those having no informed opinion.  Conservatism acts to protect the status quo and there's arguable utility in that position. But here the GanFet solution, NOT MOSFET Class D, has met with universal praise.  Some might not be ready to abandon their tubes and/or SS but  nobody, thus far, who has an INFORMED opinion, has leveled any criticism of the GanFets.  Interestingly, it appears that many of the contributors to this thread are older guys.  Not surprised in the least to see resistance to "new."  How can something so small, cheap, etc., be any good?  I don't suppose it matters to remind that group that technology, in general, following Moore's Law, has been getting more powerful, smaller, and manifesting greater performance.  It's a lack of imagination to fail to understand that these little boxes could outperform their massive A/AB competitors.  That's what's so shocking when you first hear these amps.  Their refinement, presence, clarity, bass and tonal purity are superior to SS class A/AB and/or tube, at least in my systems.  Consider a recent post from Tom Rost to me,

"Actually, our first GaN amps used the HUGE linear power supply. Keep in mind, besides the linear power supply, it also used a large toroid transformer weighing over 8 pounds. The cases were CNC machined. Attached photos... inside view is just rough prototype. What happened after that is when designing the mini GaN, I was able to pull the same performance as the bigger amp and at less than half the price. It just didn't make sense to go ahead with the larger amps as prices would start at more than double the Mini GaN for the same or possibly less performance. We use a newly developed LLC converter in the mini GaN with some newer technology that allows us to get the excellent performance in a very small package."

Hardly "tom, dick, harry" stuff.  Further, as far as any "tom, dick, harry" engaging in class D start-ups: 1) who cares and why? Either the product justifies its existence/price by commensurate performance or it doesn't; and 2) products that are designed with unique topology/architecture are not "tom, dick, harry" products.  Class D Audio, Orchard Audio, Atma-Sphere, as examples, apparently designed their proprietary circuits. This is not about throwing a Madison Sound or EPC board into a chassis and calling it a GanFet amp. These designers deserve a chance and, perhaps, even a hint of generosity before being blindly condemned with blanket assertions like "tom, dick, harry" doing DIY kit.

At the end of the day, boomers, are aging out. If the audio market is to survive one doesn't need to be much of a visionary to see that GanFets provide the way forward. As I wrote earlier, my daughter and her peer group of music lovers, are put-off by the old, and by now really old school, heavy, ponderous, blah, blah, blah, products virtually indistinguishable from those of the last 50 years. GanFets will bury MOSFETS and the old school guys that want to keep their MOSFET kit, well, that's fine. The rest of us will walk out of the desert to the promised land.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2022, 04:15 am by catluck »