Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

Don_S

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #300 on: 13 Oct 2022, 05:07 pm »
Will the Mini GaN 5s accept small spades? The way the binding posts are stacked make it look like the top one is blocked since most load from the bottom.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #301 on: 13 Oct 2022, 05:36 pm »
Charles Xavier - in addition to NewZoo's info, Tom Rost @ Class D Audio, asked if would post the following:

" We also have had several questions from those I think are from the forum. You might want to mention on the forum that a few people that contacted us, their emails bounced back to me so you might want to mention for them to make sure they type their email address correctly and also provide a phone number. Yes, we're kind of busy now, but doing our best to keep up. For our 2 channel amps it's taking 2 to 3 days to ship and monoblocks a few extra days."

FYI.

Just spoke with them. Hopefully it will ship tommorow

mick wolfe

« Reply #302 on: 13 Oct 2022, 05:52 pm »
Lazbisme - I've been using the Freya+ for about a month with the MiniGan 5's.  It's the most musical combination I've heard, and by far, on the M3's.  So good in fact that my audio neurosis has quieted almost completely. I might fidget with speaker placement, footers, or... (you know how that goes...)  But my equipment search is over.  My only suggestion with the Freya N, and I suspect you're well aware of this (but I'll note it anyway), is that the tube output is very sensitive to tube quality.  I demonstrated this when originally installing cheap Chinese tubes that came with Cary amps I owned some years ago. The Freya sounded thin, bleached, and strident particularly on loud upper frequencies. Replacing the Chinese tubes with uber-quality NOS n7's magically transformed the Freya into all I could ask for musically.  Use the best tubes you can. I think you'll find you've got a winning combination.  But let us know.

Essentially very similar combination with great success here as well. Freya+ using a full compliment of ANOS 6SN7's into a Mini GaN3. Also have an XLR cable on the way to compare to my current single ended hook-up in this set-up. Although I still have three tube amp in house, the Mini Gan still makes for a nice addition and an interesting change of pace sonically.

newzooreview

« Reply #303 on: 14 Oct 2022, 09:46 pm »
Good news/bad news on the remote 12v on-off setup for the Mini GaN 5 monoblocks.

Good news is that it works. Bad news is that it negatively affects the sound. Resolution and soundstage are reduced. Things sound overly smoothed, as if someone took fine sandpaper to an LP and polished away the grooves. It was disconcerting, and I am glad things are back to their rich, mesmerizing detail and openness with the 12v trigger cables removed.

The 12v trigger is not a trigger: it requires a constant 12v to keep the amps on. It's not just an instantaneous 12v signal, so it introduces persistent DC power into the amp while playing. It appears that this is enough to audibly affect things, at least with a speaker as open and resolving as the M3 Sapphires.

This does lead me to wonder about that influence of the main power cables, so I will have to experiment with that down the road. Right now I'm using a matching pair GR Research power cables that were on hand, but I will likely get a second Anticables power cord and us a pair of those since that is what I use with the DAC and Preamp.

For anyone interested to setup remote on-off (my impressions about affect on sound notwithstanding), here is what I bought.

1. I got two AC to 12v DC wall-warts. They are listed and "linear, regulated," and I got the lowest amperage I could find, 0.5 amp. My hope was they would be innocuous.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU120050F0980-Jameco-Reliapro-6-Watt-AC-to-DC-Regulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter-12-Volt-0-5-Amp_162996.html

2. The power supplies need a plug adapter to fit the 3.5mm mono hole on the backs of the monoblocks (the standard 12v trigger connection). These adapter fit securely onto the end of the power supply cord, so they work well and do not risk coming loose.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DC2-1-3-5M-Jameco-Valuepro-Male-Plug-Adapter-2-1mm-ID-x-5-5mm-OD-DC-Receptacle-to-3-5mm-Male-Plug_2236682.html

3. I got a Y-split extension cord to plug the power supplies into to add some overall length and accommodate the bulk of the wall warts.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Extension-Splitter-Polarized-Outlets/dp/B08V8RZJHF/ref=sr_1_4

4. I go a remote controlled AC outlet. It uses a little radio frequency remote (just a burst of RF when pressing the on or off buttons, not persistent RF emission). It works very well, and I can put it to good use for outdoor Christmas lights or something.

https://www.amazon.com/HBN-Wireless-Weatherproof-Grounded-Included/dp/B07WX2NBWR/ref=sr_1_5

genjamon

« Reply #304 on: 14 Oct 2022, 10:21 pm »
Dang, this thwarts my idea of using my TV’s 5v USB-A input as the trigger. Maybe I’ll just have to train my 4 yo son to use the power button.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #305 on: 14 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm »
Good news/bad news on the remote 12v on-off setup for the Mini GaN 5 monoblocks.

Good news is that it works. Bad news is that it negatively affects the sound. Resolution and soundstage are reduced. Things sound overly smoothed, as if someone took fine sandpaper to an LP and polished away the grooves. It was disconcerting, and I am glad things are back to their rich, mesmerizing detail and openness with the 12v trigger cables removed.

The 12v trigger is not a trigger: it requires a constant 12v to keep the amps on. It's not just an instantaneous 12v signal, so it introduces persistent DC power into the amp while playing. It appears that this is enough to audibly affect things, at least with a speaker as open and resolving as the M3 Sapphires.

This does lead me to wonder about that influence of the main power cables, so I will have to experiment with that down the road. Right now I'm using a matching pair GR Research power cables that were on hand, but I will likely get a second Anticables power cord and us a pair of those since that is what I use with the DAC and Preamp.

For anyone interested to setup remote on-off (my impressions about affect on sound notwithstanding), here is what I bought.

1. I got two AC to 12v DC wall-warts. They are listed and "linear, regulated," and I got the lowest amperage I could find, 0.5 amp. My hope was they would be innocuous.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU120050F0980-Jameco-Reliapro-6-Watt-AC-to-DC-Regulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter-12-Volt-0-5-Amp_162996.html

2. The power supplies need a plug adapter to fit the 3.5mm mono hole on the backs of the monoblocks (the standard 12v trigger connection). These adapter fit securely onto the end of the power supply cord, so they work well and do not risk coming loose.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DC2-1-3-5M-Jameco-Valuepro-Male-Plug-Adapter-2-1mm-ID-x-5-5mm-OD-DC-Receptacle-to-3-5mm-Male-Plug_2236682.html

3. I got a Y-split extension cord to plug the power supplies into to add some overall length and accommodate the bulk of the wall warts.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Extension-Splitter-Polarized-Outlets/dp/B08V8RZJHF/ref=sr_1_4

4. I go a remote controlled AC outlet. It uses a little radio frequency remote (just a burst of RF when pressing the on or off buttons, not persistent RF emission). It works very well, and I can put it to good use for outdoor Christmas lights or something.

https://www.amazon.com/HBN-Wireless-Weatherproof-Grounded-Included/dp/B07WX2NBWR/ref=sr_1_5

Hmmm... I just realized my BS Node has a trigger out. I will have to try it when the amp comes

newzooreview

« Reply #306 on: 14 Oct 2022, 11:57 pm »
That should work. The 12v trigger seems to be a standard. However, I've never seen a specification for it. I would be curious to know if there is a minimum (or maximum) amperage expected for the 12v. Maybe it's 0.1 or 0.01 amps and 0.5 amps is too much (even if it seems minimal).

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #307 on: 14 Oct 2022, 11:58 pm »
….Also have an XLR cable on the way to compare to my current single ended hook-up in this set-up….
Let us know if you hear an improvement with the XLR cables.  Some gear with true balanced circuits tend to sound better with XLRs in the chain. I experienced a nice improvement with the PS Audio gear that I had.

genjamon

« Reply #308 on: 15 Oct 2022, 01:04 pm »
Credit card cycle reset today, so I just placed my order.

Amps I will be able to compare with include the Folsom EC7293 DIY amp and the Odyssey Kismet stereo.

The rest of the system chain includes:

Buffalo BS-GS2016 network switch powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 power supply rather than internal switching supply
Sonore UltraRendu digital endpoint powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 power supply
dB Tranquility SE DAC with full upgrades as of 2018 including Jupiter copper output caps
Don Sachs preamp with Miflex/Duelund bypass or VH Audio ODAM/Duelund bypass output caps
Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers with internally soldered connections instead of the stock clip-ons and Miflex cap/Duelund bypass caps on the tweeter
Cerious Tech Matrix speaker cables and power cables with Furutech NCF connectors throughout
Zenwave D3 IC's with KLEI Absolute Harmony connectors rather than WBT's
Core Power Tech Equi=Core balanced power transformer as power conditioner (with all Furutech NCF inlet and outlets)

AllanS

« Reply #309 on: 22 Oct 2022, 06:11 pm »
I’m a late comer but have consumed most of this with interest the past few daze.  Looking for a desktop amp the form factor drew me in, but the conversation and conversions have been most compelling. 

My main system has PS Audio M1200s feeding M4s so there’s now that interest also.  Not that I would replace the M1200s but it might be interesting to compare.

I do want to ask one question about peoples experience but have to reintroduce ASR to do so.  Assuming it’s not related to undefined defects in the sample unit, the frequency response plot published in the review indicates very different 4 and 8 ohm responses.  I’m curious how these might affect perception.  It may be particularly relevant to M v X owners but obviously carries over.  My desktop speakers are 8 ohm.

morganc

« Reply #310 on: 22 Oct 2022, 10:36 pm »
Am I interpreting this correctly In that the 8ohm response is much better than the 4 Ohm? If not, please help me understand. If so then it reasons this is much better with the 8 Ohm X3/X5 than the 4 Ohm X4.

TIA

genjamon

« Reply #311 on: 22 Oct 2022, 10:39 pm »
IF this is an accurate graph, and that’s a big if, then you need to look at your speaker’s impedance in the upper treble frequencies. Even a nominal 4 ohm speaker often will have an impedance in upper treble frequencies that is 8 ohms or higher.

Don_S

« Reply #312 on: 22 Oct 2022, 11:00 pm »
Will the Mini GaN 5s accept small spades? The way the binding posts are stacked make it look like the top one is blocked since most load from the bottom.

Bump

morganc

« Reply #313 on: 22 Oct 2022, 11:10 pm »
I'm using medium size spades and they barely work but they do work.

genjamon

« Reply #314 on: 22 Oct 2022, 11:26 pm »
My stereo amp just shipped. And I’m using heavy/stiff Cerious Matrix SCs with largish spades. Will report back if that’s a problem for me.

NoahH

« Reply #315 on: 22 Oct 2022, 11:50 pm »
NewZoo - I know you were really into the newer monoblocks from Van Alstine. How do you compare the ganfets to those?

newzooreview

« Reply #316 on: 23 Oct 2022, 12:26 am »
NewZoo - I know you were really into the newer monoblocks from Van Alstine. How do you compare the ganfets to those?

I've never heard monoblocks from Van Alstine. I had one Van Alstine amp almost a decade ago, a stereo solid state amp (FetValve 300 or something like that). It was screechingly bright, and I returned it within the 30-day trial period. I wouldn't know how any of their current amps sound.

Regarding the plot from Audio Science Review, they had trouble turning on the amp. Something in their setup was tripping the fault detection. Normally a reviewer would troubleshoot with a manufacturer, but the amp was apparently loaned from a forum participant and they went ahead and published measurements with obvious issues in their setup.

The M3 Sapphires are about 3.8 Ohm down in the the 50 Hz range if I recall correctly, so even if the Mini GaN 5 is down 1.7 dB at 20 kHz into a 4 Ohm load that would be invisible using the Sapphires. They are closer to 8 Ohms at 20 kHz (if I recall the plot).

Does anyone have an impedance plot for the X4s? I can't recall seeing one, but I had always though the X4s were similar. The Beyma AMT drivers are 8 Ohms (the ones I've seen specs for), so I assumed that the passive crossover in the X4s were similar to the the Sapphires, with the 4 Ohms being relevant to the bass region.

morganc

« Reply #317 on: 23 Oct 2022, 01:02 am »
[quote author=newzooreview link=topic=183099.msg1927737#msg1927737

Does anyone have an impedance plot for the X4s? I can't recall seeing one, but I had always though the X4s were similar. The Beyma AMT drivers are 8 Ohms (the ones I've seen specs for), so I assumed that the passive crossover in the X4s were similar to the the Sapphires, with the 4 Ohms being relevant to the bass region.
[/quote]

I bet you're correct.  This makes sense.  I bet my comment above is incorrect in regards to the X4.

Early B.

« Reply #318 on: 23 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm »
I attempted to compare the Mini GaN5 to my VTV Purifi amp in my main system, but the ultra-cheap binding posts on the GaN5 had holes too small to accept banana plugs (actually the male side of the tube connectors). I can tolerate them on a secondary system, but if the GaN5 was on my main system, I'd rip out those binding posts.

OK, I tried it again this morning and it worked. I had to remove the plastic part from each binding post to get my speaker cables to fit. It's too early on a Sunday morning to crank up the system. Later today, I'll compare the VTV Purifi amp with the GaN5 amp and start a new thread with my impressions. 

munosmario

« Reply #319 on: 23 Oct 2022, 01:20 pm »
At this moment the monoblocks are breaking in and I am not hearing a significant improvement over the stereo version. However that may change with a few more hours on the units of course.  Will keep y’all updated with any changes.

morganc, did you conclude your comparison between the stereo version and the monoblocks? (Sorry to ask but that is a valuable insight.)