Any Le Amp 3 Reviews / Comments?

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Any Le Amp 3 Reviews / Comments?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:54 pm »
Sounds like you need to ask yuths these questions - it doesn't help to make these speculative comments

alphinmike

« Reply #21 on: 4 Aug 2007, 04:01 pm »
Hi Gracer - Hope you have sorted your problem with the 'ground loop.' I myself had this problem with a pair of mono block power amps which drove me mad! The problem turned out to be the earth on my CDP and my 'tech' friend cured it by putting a resistor where the earth grounded and this cured it completely - so it wasn't the amps at all!
I note that yours is a complicated system - if you still have the problem it could be worth stripping your system back to the minimum and seeing if the problem still persists with say just your CDP only connected. As sas has said it probably isn't the amps but something else that is the cause.

GRacer

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2007, 08:47 am »
hi guys

sorry about not replying to this thread for quite sometimes.

i have been in bloody mission trying to get this sorted. i have figured it out at last that, like some said previously, it wasn't entirely the power amp at all. turned out that the one that caused the most hum was/is my HK receiver. the L3 is actually 99% quiet after i replaced the original power cable with good quality aftermarket items and the same with the RCA interconnects, replaced the IXOS hybrid with silver reference interconnects. replaced the power conditioner with power filter sockets panel. expensive exercise i tell ya :( but to me there's no other way of reducing the hummming. so far, every single steps i have taken, have reduced the hum bit by bit, but unfortunately it's still there, sort of masking in the background only (hard to tell sometimes). definitely better than before.

the same with speaker cables, replaced them with QED silver reference cables. i just can't believe the improvement of sound quality, soundstage and imaging after i switched to this speaker cables. man, it is so clear now where the positions all the instruments and vocals etc, all without loosing (it's actually improved a bit) the "warmness factor" trade mark of any HK products (i can honestly said it's very comparable to my valve amp now, still can't better the low-end of the valve amp though). my reference DVD is "the corrs - mtv unplugged". for me, this is one of the best DVDs ever made to test your equipments, especially in the PCM stereo mode. the dvd has got perfect recording throughout (very slight recording imperfections on track #3), accompany by a small orchestral team in a controlled studio environment. the other one i used is "the eagles - hell freezes over" (this is actually used as reference dvd by many reviewers) though IMHO it's still not as good as the corrs dvd. the corrs has got more instruments involved, many types of guitars used, etc.

and why i said it was my HK receiver ? it's because when i connected the L3 to my other source, Marantz SR-14 receiver, the hum reduced back to almost non-existant (99% quiet) but when i plugged it back into the HK, it's back to 80% quietness level. with the marantz, the amps sound just a tad dry, so IMO it's best to pair these amps with something warm/rich to get the best out of them.

i also want to apologise if somehow my previous comments made norh L3 sounds like a 'faulty/bad' product, it is NOT my intention at all. i was merely frustrated after spending my hard earned $ only to be faced by a problem like this and only to have 1 reply (out of those many i emailed to at norh) and told me to do some checkings/tests. I'd like to personally thanking YUTH for his effort to rectify my problem.

the L3 is definitely one of the best amp for the $, PERIOD. it would be nice if it could have a bit more low end kick but this is NOT a rock amp. definitely suitable for my pop, r&b and jazz musical taste. pair them with good gear, you'll have a music nirvana under your finger. DO NOT SPEND YOUR $$$ UNTIL YOU HEAR THESE AMPS !!

feel free to voice your opinion to my thoughts above (i'm not an audio expert but i know my music and i know what i'd like to hear). this is only based on my personal experience to achieve a better hifi goal :D

in the meantime, i might get my HK reciever checked out/serviced.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2007, 10:57 am by GRacer »

GRacer

« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2007, 09:00 am »
more update ....

i have tried many interconnects so far, dnm reson, zu cable, monster, xlr, etc and found the best and the quietest pair of interconnect to use with L3 is IXOS gamma symmetry cable (can't remember the model#). the difference in humming noise is very significant compare to those i tried. with the ixos rca's, the hum is almost to non-existant. i have trial-tested few times with the mentioned cables, and yet everytime i went back to the ixos. imaging, depth and soundstage is also very excellent with the ixos.

power cables, i have tried many variants too, the best to use so far with those 'audio-friendly' silver plated braided power cables, paired them with hospital grade iec plugs (silverplated). noticable improvement in all mostly in the bottom end (livelier and punchier).

but as i mentioned before, the most significant improvement comes from the QED silver anniversary bi-wire cable. have tried many speaker cables in the past, nothing even comes close to this one. everything is very real, very believable. suddenly all the instruments have a solid image and positions right in front of you. excellent with female vocals. it's no surprise that this cable is voted as the winner of "WHAT HI-FI" speaker cables of the year few years in a row.

another interesting point, when i switched to xlr type interconnect, everything seemed/sounded to be dull. i just don't like it, lasted for only 1 minute and i changed back to my ixos straight away.

the dnm reson is one of the 'what hi-fi' winner interconnect, but somehow it just can't produce the quietness as the ixos. details and airiness is only slightly better, sometimes i couldn't even notice it.

GRacer

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2007, 10:56 pm »
more update ..

finally today, i received my new toy, the denon avr-3808ci

i will set it up this weekend sometimes to run with the L3 amps and see the difference sonically between running it through my HK receiver and the new denon

will keep you all posted

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2007, 01:51 am »
more update ..

finally today, i received my new toy, the denon avr-3808ci

i will set it up this weekend sometimes to run with the L3 amps and see the difference sonically between running it through my HK receiver and the new denon

will keep you all posted

Looking forward to hearing about it! Is it possible to post some pics?

GRacer

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2007, 09:46 am »
sorry about the late reply. i haven't got around to play around with my new toy, the denon 3808. i'm thinking of selling the denon instead. so it's probably best not to use it. if i can't sell the denon, then i will sell the harman kardon.

have bought a power filter off ebay and this lead to another level of quietness. it's almost dead quiet now, it's only about 5% static noise (not affected by the volume).

how do i post a picture ? does it have to hosted somewhere else first or ?

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2007, 04:23 am »
Here is a link about how to post your pics

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40968.0

GRacer

« Reply #28 on: 4 Nov 2007, 01:05 am »
well, finally.. got around to upload some pics..

mind you, this is not the tidiest set-up around, so please don't criticise too much :D

set-up has changed slightly in the last few weeks, haven't got around to take some more pics
changes are :
- replacing the manual HDMI switcher to electronic hdmi switcher/distributor/amplifier
- switched position of the le amps 3 monoblocks and the kenwood power amp
- purchased Jaycar "EARTHING SUPER SILENCER" (again, this made heaps of difference in the quietness level now)
- purchased Belkin PureAV "The ISOLATOR"
- in conjuction with the newly acquired Earthing Super Silencer, now I'm back using the well-known DNM RESON interconnect and the result is never been better (use the IXOZ Gamma Symmetry interconnect for the CD changer now)
- rewired all my AF custom main leads so the braided sleeves are now connected straight to the EARTH on both sides (as instructed)
- purchased Straightwire RHAPSODY S interconnect for the centre speaker pre-power (this is one hell of a cable out of the box)
- QED Silver Anniversary speaker cables (I just can't say enough about this cables, simply stunning !!)
- purchased Silver Ribbon interconnect for analogue output from my Pioneer reference dvd player to the amp
- the sony dvd player now is made redundant, only using my pioneer and oppo dvd player
- athena centre speaker has also been made redundant (used to use it to increase the soundstage with the wharfedale 9CM) since i acquired the matching paradigm ref cc-570

sorry the Velodyne sub is a bit out of picture

i will try to get some more pics of the new set-up later if i can manage to squeeze some times

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 8 Nov 2007, 01:56 am »
Wow great pics with a good variety of equipment!

cujobob

« Reply #30 on: 19 Nov 2007, 01:05 am »
So would you guys recommend the Le Amp 3?  Why is it not available on the norh website?  If anyone has some impressions of this amp they can share it would be most helpful!

-Dave

GRacer

« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2007, 06:03 am »
i too like to hear other ppl opinions about Le Amp 3. i'm sure i'm not the only one who has this amp.

i'm also contemplating to upgrade to ICE-technology amplifier (ASP1000 module, 2x 500wrms @ 8ohm @ 20-20). i have heard and read all good news about them so far, very compact design yet runs very cool with impressive dynamics and clarity. hopefully father christmas grants my wish :D

linkweewee

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2007, 06:52 am »

cujobob

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2007, 02:41 pm »
What do you think of the Amp 3 so far?  Does it run really hot or have any bugs like past amplifiers?

the ICE amps look good to me too, but haven't found any that were inexpensive so far

GRacer

« Reply #34 on: 25 Nov 2007, 12:18 am »
i thought i have summed up about the Le Amp 3 pretty well so far ? :D

it does get warm in my applications but never as hot as my HK receiver. I don't think there's any bugs so far, as I mentioned before the humming noise is because of my HK receiver (may be ?).

yeah, the cheapest ICE amp is MURANO Audio i think

hmmm.. so many things i want.. so little money.. santa, help !

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:23 am »
...  Why is it not available on the norh website?  ...

-Dave

It is on this page  http://www.norh.com/info/pricing.html

cujobob

« Reply #36 on: 25 Dec 2007, 10:20 pm »
Wow I've looked everywhere and still can't find any info on the Le Amp III...why is it still so mysterious?

How much power does it offer?

GRacer

« Reply #37 on: 1 Jan 2008, 12:11 pm »
still offers the same power, 200wrms/channel at 8ohm.

i gave in and finally unpacked and use the denon 3808. i will make a summary soon.

stay tune :)

GRacer

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:22 am »
update...

after owning both amps for less than a year (purchased on june 07), both amps went faulty on me 3-4 weeks ago :(

one night, i was watching a movie, i noticed that the dynamic of the sound was gone ! only weak trebley sound with mid-bass and bass to non-existant. checked all the connections, changed all the cables (interconnects and speaker cables) and it's still the same. quickly switched to my valve amp and my hk receiver to see if it's a speakers problem or amps. the same speakers, with the same connections and same source, became alive again. i thought to myself, it might the denon receiver, then i by-passed the le-3 and drive the speakers straight from the denon and voila ! dynamism (?) was back straight away, mid-bass and bass back to normal.

one thing that i have noticed that these 2x le-3, they had ran slightly hotter than usual for the last couple of months, and i thought it was nothing unusual as we just hit the summer season. i have about 5-6cm gap on top of these amps on bottom shelf of a rack with a window directly behind them (always open).

then the next day, under sunlight, i opened up the top lid to see if there's anything burn that i could see inside the amp. both lids off, no obvious sign of burnt components but i did noticed a white flash of broken track on track/component marked with N1, and this exact sign was on both amps with exact same location. got my camera out, took some pics, and put both lids back on. quickly emailed norh, yuths and nampung, with picstures attached. within 2 days i got email back from yuths saying that he will check with the factory (15th Jan 08). got another reply on the 16th form yuths, saying the factory will diagnose the problem and get back to me. and sadly, that's the last time i heard from them. i have emailed again on the 19th and 26th Jan to no reply so far.

is it just me or what ??????  :duh:

anyone can help me get intouch with norh or do they have any phone number that i can call direct ?

below are the pictures that i suspect to be broken track (white flash on the board, i marked it with black arrow)

GRacer

« Reply #39 on: 1 Feb 2008, 12:22 am »
update ....

ok, finally after 6 emails, i got a reply from yuth yesterday. she doesn't believe that there's a broken track, but according to the technician, there might be a loose component. she asked me to shake the amp to see if there's anything rattling there. she wants me to dismantled the board and send it back to them. i'm not too keen on dismantling the board as i don't even know what or which board that is damaged. i only have a suspiscion on the board that has, what it looks to me like, broken track.

i will keep you guys posted..