Around a grand to spend on speakers - Zu/Tekton or Magnepan MMG+DWM?

I.Greyhound Fan

What do you guys think of a pair of Monitor Audio RX2 bookshelf speakers for $450?  From what I can tell that seems like a pretty good deal and everything I've read would seem to indicate they put out nice bass with an 8" woofer.   

Thats a great price on the RX2's, they must be used.  I have a pair of Monitor Audio S1's which are 2 generations back and one model below.  They listed for $650pr (I paid $440pr for B-Stock) so the RX2's probably sold for quite a bit more, probably $850pr. I like my MA's but they don't compare to the MMG's.  But at $450pr you could do a lot worse.  You have a small area and they should do just fine.  With the money saved, you could buy a nice tube amp or hybrid tube amp.  Here is a review of the RX2's-

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/monitoraudio/rx2.html

Also, I would be careful buying a used pair of older Magnepans as they can have a bass rattle or buzz when a wire comes loose on the bass panel.  They are a pain to re-glue and you will be looking at $150-400 to get them repaired at the Magnepan factory plus shipping.  If you decide to go the planar route, get a pair of MMG's and see if you like them.  There is a money back guaranty and they have a trade up program if you decide to upgrade in a certain period of time.

By the way, I have read that those Nola Boxer's have a very nice sound.

Try to audition as many brands as you can so you can narrow things down and see what you like.  Speakers are so subjective, more than any piece of audio gear.

bhuff

Hi Dave
I'm new to audiocircle but not to having several stereo systems over the years.  I've had a pair of tekton lore S for over a year now and am pleased with their performance per price ratio.  I auditioned, in home, five other speaker company's products at or above the price of the Lore S.  I have found that more money does not necessarily equate to a better product.  Good luck with your starting venture.
Hi all,

I recently picked up a Rega RP3 turntable with Elys2 cart and am now deciding on amp+speakers in what will be my first "real" hifi system. I'm planning to spend about a grand on speakers, and have looked at all sorts of different options, including full-range, monitors+subs, floor-standing, bookshelf, everything basically.

I've finally narrowed my choices down from the endless possibilities, but am really torn between Magnepan MMGs plus the DWM bass panel, or some variety of high-effeciency/full-range driver speakers like Zu Audio Omen/Omen DEF or Tekton Lore/Lore-S/M-Lore, either used or second-hand makes no matter to me.

I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow my choices further. I'm in a small apartment, so quality low-level listening is very important to me, but I want to be able to crank it and enjoy the sound as well for guests and on weekends. My musical preferences are varied in the extreme, from Rachmaninoff piano concertos to Malian kora music (Toumani Diabate, et al) to Flying Lotus, Aphex Twin, Dead Can Dance, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Grimes and all sorts of stuff in-between.

I'm waiting to choose my amp(s) + phono stage (if necessary) based on the speakers I select, so I'm going to decide on speakers first and let the rest of the system follow suit.

One other speaker option that tempts me in the extreme is the Sjofn hifi (the clue) speaker, just because it's a monitor that also happens to be full-range, and bass is very important to me. I'd rather not mess with a super-expensive sub and trying to match bookshelves to subwoofer, which is why I eliminated most bookshelves from contention. I consider the Maggie DWM panel an exception to this rule since its designed to compliment MMGs and other panels and is the same manufacturer.

Your thoughts? Any amp and fellow electronics advice to suit speakers + turntable recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I'd really like to end up with the basis for a system that can gradually be upgraded a piece at a time going forward as I can afford upgrades, whether that be the speakers, electronics or turntable/cartridge.

Many thanks!

Best,
Dave