Worth the wait.......A "Mini" review "Part 2 & 3"

2bigears

Re: Worth the wait.......A "Mini" review
« Reply #20 on: 8 Dec 2007, 10:39 pm »
 :D  this is a good thread for sure as i bought in sound-unheard on a set of Revs. Just need to buy a great big amp now as my last speakers were 101 db eff.   :D

RodMCV

« Reply #21 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:04 pm »
:D  this is a good thread for sure as i bought in sound-unheard on a set of Revs. Just need to buy a great big amp now as my last speakers were 101 db eff.   :D
Congratulations 2bigears,
 I did the the same thing before RMAF and got blown away at Steve's house in Denver with the Mundorf upgraded Revelation.
See my review pieces on the "Did anyone hear the SP Tech Room" thread.
Rod
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2007, 12:26 am by RodMCV »

bhobba

« Reply #22 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:06 pm »

Wise choice.  I suspect they could easily be the most accurate speakers on the planet at a sane price - hell maybe at any price.  Once my super is through I may get a pair myself and the hindmost to the cost.

Regarding the amp, the Revs are over 90db efficient when driven by a standard watt (which if memory serves me correctly without looking it up is 2.83 volts) so will only sound half as loud as your current speakers. The cost of a Rev is not cheap - you may like to put off getting a new amp for a while.  Of course, like all of Bobs speakers, they can handle a lot of power without stress, so the tendency is to wind them up so they can really strut their stuff.  Their are many fine high power amps out there, at reasonable prices, eg Frank Alstines 550 W Fet Valve design.  For more money I have head good things about the new Spectron.  Although not a contender in the high power stakes, Hugh Dean's Soraya has slayed everyone that has heard it. 

Thanks
Bill

Steve

« Reply #23 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:11 pm »
"Together we need to dispel the notion that permeates audiophilia... that accuracy = sterility, lifelessness & non-musicality.  BULLCRAP!  The present belief is that "excess" accuracy = excess detail = excess resolution = non-musicality & listening fatigue.  The fact is that excess high frequency distortion above 5kHz = excess "perceived" detail = excess "perceived" resolution =  sterility, lifelessness, non-musicality & listening fatigue."

If you eliminate high frequency distortion everything comes alive with detail and resolution... and an organic "musicality" that almost everyone is searching for but almost never experience.  There is no such thing as excess detail and resolution.  High accuracy = "detail when its there and none when it's not" = extreme resolution = extreme musicality and life-like reproduction."

Amen to that Bob.

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:30 pm »
:D hey thanks guys,your taking some stress off.I really would like to settle down with a long term gear selection/collection.I will need an amp within a month as i have only 50w amps and that will never fly.I love used,high quality stuff.The Spectron 3 is a good one so they say.How would a VAC 160wpc KT-88 driven sound as it would mate with my pre?? Or do you go for MAX headroom???? thks  Pat  :D

bhobba

« Reply #25 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:43 pm »
:D hey thanks guys,your taking some stress off.I really would like to settle down with a long term gear selection/collection.I will need an amp within a month as i have only 50w amps and that will never fly.

50W will only sound half as loud as a 500W monster.  It will not allow the Revs to really strut their stuff, but plenty good enough until you have a chance to get the exact amp you want.  Don't rush into anything, have some extended auditioning of a number of amps.

I love used,high quality stuff.The Spectron 3 is a good one so they say.How would a VAC 160wpc KT-88 driven sound as it would mate with my pre?? Or do you go for MAX headroom???? thks  Pat  :D

I can see you are, very understandably I might add, and exactly as I would be, obviously quite excited by the Revs.  But you know what they say about marrage - marry in haste, repent at leisure.  While not quite in the same league as marrage, may I suggest auditioning a number amp until you get the one you want?

Relax, have fun, enjoy your fine acquisition.  Auditioning amps is part of that fun and enjoyment.

Thanks
Bill

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:48 pm »
 :D  Bill,thks for that,wise words noted.In truth,all i have is a VAC30/30 that needs a tune-up and a RWA 70.2.It's nice to go slow,but on the other hand it's nice to exit the marry-go-round... :o :lol:

bhobba

« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2007, 12:16 am »
:D  Bill,thks for that,wise words noted.In truth,all i have is a VAC30/30 that needs a tune-up and a RWA 70.2.It's nice to go slow,but on the other hand it's nice to exit the marry-go-round... :o :lol:

Yes indeed.  As always, have fun and enjoy yourself.  If getting a bigger amp right away is part of that fun, I say go for it.  I do like the look of that Alstine amp for just a touch over 2K and looks a good 'interim' measure to me.  You can always sell it later - my understanding is they have pretty good resale value and Frank has a money back guarantee on their initial purchase.

Thanks
Bill

RodMCV

« Reply #28 on: 9 Dec 2007, 12:25 am »
This is a question I have asked before.
DNA 500, newest Spectron lll SE, Belles 350 rev stereo/mono are some new
answers..
I'll be trying vintage Eagle Eleven mono blocks, Bel 1001 MK V,
Eagle 7a,
bi-amp too.to start.

Some will say tube on top and strong solid on bottom to biamp.
There is a fantastic solid amp for bass I have heard,
the crown k2 cheap on audiocircle amp4sale
Good luck,

Rod

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2007, 12:40 am »
I'm gonna start with my current DNA-500 driving the Rev's, a DNA-1 driving the center Continuum and a DNA-125 driving the surround Continuums.  I've got my classic Krell KSA-100 gold badge that might like a spin, too.   :thumb:

bhobba

« Reply #30 on: 9 Dec 2007, 12:47 am »
There is a fantastic solid amp for bass I have heard,
the crown k2 cheap on audiocircle amp4sale
Good luck,

Personally, I believe Hugh Dean of AKSA, has proven solid state can sound as good or better than valves.  And solid state is much more reliable.  Even died in the wool valve guys that post on Hugh's forum, who still believe valves sound better, say for just about everyone, the reliability of solid state, dips the scales in its favour.

I have read where Wayne at Boulder cables thinks the Burson buffer adds no sound of its own - at least that he can hear anyway.  The Bursin pre-amp is basically an upgraded Bursin buffer, and looks an interesting choice as a pre amp:
http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Pre-100.htm

Personally, I plan to bypass a preamp, and feed the output of a usb dac or modded squeeze box directly to my amps.

Thanks
Bill

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 9 Dec 2007, 12:55 am »
 :D a used Spectron will run 4000.00 plus.If i could find a monster ss amp for 2k or 3k that would be great.Try to save a weee bit. :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:02 am »
:D a used Spectron will run 4000.00 plus.If i could find a monster ss amp for 2k or 3k that would be great.Try to save a weee bit. :D

A used Belles Ref 350A amp will fall into your price range and should sound quite nice with the SP Tech speakers.

There are two on Audiogon right now.

Another possibility is a used or maybe even a new pair of Odyssey Mono Extremes.

Good luck.

George

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #33 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:16 am »
Apparently, in spite of dismissive attitudes on the part of some, a Crown Macro Reference works very well. Even Karsten thinks they are good! They are hard to find, but I passed on one for $1250 in immaculate shape, from a good dealer (with a bad name):
http://www.jbaudiopimp.com/
(front, back, top):
http://jbaudiopimp.com/pictures/audio/amps/crownmacroref_fr.JPG
http://jbaudiopimp.com/pictures/audio/amps/crownmacroref_bk.JPG
http://jbaudiopimp.com/pictures/audio/amps/crownmacroref_top.JPG

They have a fan, which is part of what threw me, but this can be addressed - quieter fan; on/off switch for it.
Monster headroom and the first amp I know of to have silly damping factor numbers - "greater than 20,000 from 10hz to 200hz and 1,800 at 1kHz" according to one owner.

bhobba

« Reply #34 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:26 am »
They have a fan, which is part of what threw me, but this can be addressed - quieter fan; on/off switch for it.
Monster headroom and the first amp I know of to have silly damping factor numbers - "greater than 20,000 from 10hz to 200hz and 1,800 at 1kHz" according to one owner.

Russell you beat me to it - I was just about to suggest the same.  I wouldn't worry too much about a fan - I remember I auditioned  one (an amp with a fan - not a Crown monster) in my system ages ago, and you only noticed it when the music stopped - and only then in the dead of night.
http://www.nextag.com/crown-amplifier/search-html

Thanks
Bill

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:29 am »
I just found one in Las Vegas for $350 - probably not pristine, but - hey!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/502114765.html

bhobba

« Reply #36 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:29 am »

Whoops guys - forgot to edit the quotes.  My post should be:

Russell you beat me to it - I was just about to suggest the same.  I wouldn't worry too much about a fan - I remember I auditioned  one (an amp with a fan - not a Crown monster) in my system ages ago, and you only noticed it when the music stopped - and only then in the dead of night.
http://www.nextag.com/crown-amplifier/search-html

Thanks
Bill

Double Ugly

« Reply #37 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:30 am »

I'll be interested in your findings, because I honestly don't believe the realism we heard in Denver can be duplicated with tubes on top.  The shimmer and sheen, attack and decay, etc., etc., of cymbals, triangles and the like was just about spot on IMHO, and I have to wonder what there is to be gained by using tubes in this instance.

It's a killer recipe with most speakers, but the new Mundorf-based crossovers make things so real... I don't know, Rod.  Be sure to let us know what you find out.

I'm gonna start with my current DNA-500 driving the Rev's, a DNA-1 driving the center Continuum and a DNA-125 driving the surround Continuums.  I've got my classic Krell KSA-100 gold badge that might like a spin, too.   :thumb:

I'd say you're pretty well set, my friend.  :thumb:

Personally, I believe Hugh Dean of AKSA, has proven solid state can sound as good or better than valves.  And solid state is much more reliable.  Even died in the wool valve guys that post on Hugh's forum, who still believe valves sound better, say for just about everyone, the reliability of solid state, dips the scales in its favour.

I still lament the fact that Hugh didn't show for our get-together in Denver.  If they're all folks say, I'd likely have ordered 4 of his amps to facilitate bi-amping the Revs.  :(

A used Belles Ref 350A amp will fall into your price range and should sound quite nice with the SP Tech speakers.

They should, and as you know, I've heard them sound fantastic with Bob's speakers.  However, I was taken aback by how his new amps sounded with the small Usher with the Beryllium tweeter.

I was seriously impressed by the little speaker in the Usher room, but the sound in Dave's room was atrocious.  I don't know if it was a synergy thing or if the new design is lacking, but something was definitely amiss IMHO. :scratch:

The Odyssey Mono Extremes might be nice, but for those getting speakers with the new Mundorf crossovers, I recommend getting as neutral an amp as possible.  The Mono Extremes are excellent amplifiers, but they lean just a bit to the warm side IMHO, and the SP Techs require no assistance in that area.  Look for something as clean, neutral and powerful as possible to reap the full benefits of the design, with the primary emphasis being "clean" and "neutral." 

Extra power should be considered icing on the cake.  :wink:

Apparently, in spite of dismissive attitudes on the part of some, a Crown Macro Reference works very well. Even Karsten thinks they are good!

An excellent choice for the extremely budget-conscious.  :thumb:

However, rumor is the Spectron bested the Crown by a *LOT* straight out of the box, so I believe it's the better choice if funds permit.

bhobba

« Reply #38 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:38 am »
Even Karsten thinks they are good!

Karsten has a lot of experience with the Rev's - dropping him a PM might be a good move.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #39 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:59 am »
However, rumor is the Spectron bested the Crown by a *LOT* straight out of the box, so I believe it's the better choice if funds permit.

Considering the price difference it should.  Although only 250W PC (ONLY????), I still think Franks FET valve is worth a shot - due to the ears logarithmic responce, and 10 times the power being required to sound twice as loud, the fact it is half the power of the Spectron may not be that noticeable - if at all.  Also solid state amps usually have quite a bit of headroom for handling transients, so in practical terms it may not give much away to the Spectron - although the peak power Spectron claims it can deliver is truly amazing - so then again maybe not.  Since you can return it for a full refund what have you to loose?

Thanks
Bill