AV123 Forum not available?

ajayrav

Re: AV123 Forum not available?
« Reply #160 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:19 am »
av123.com isn't back up yet.....leads to a hosting company website.

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #161 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:20 am »

Which is why I have always been confused that AV123 doesn't have an IT guru.  Someone to chase down the voicemail and e-mail bugs and keep things up and running.  :scratch:

Unfortunately, as you know, that would be somewhat counter-intuitive as to how Mark does business. Name me another company that has seen 75% growth (maybe I am actually understating that figure?) over the last 2 years and yet seems to view adding staff as a secondary concern. (Almost) all of us love Mark and wish av123 continued success, but it's unbelievable on how they keep dropping the ball on the lowest hanging fruit. In this economy (going back about 6 months to present), finding qualified people should not be THAT difficult.

Instead let's just keep making more false promises about delivery dates + conjecture about more "gee-whiz" product lines + announce new holiday sales (and daily specials) with attendant pre-orders while people are still waiting for orders placed 6, 12, 18 months ago + defer concrete, concise updates in lieu of an omnibus "tell-all" letter that needs to be repeatedly reworked in order to set just the right tone and background = a frickin' train wreck of a soap opera.

Sorry, for beating the horse deader.....AND restating the obvious.
[/quote]

Wow... and you would want me to reply to this...  :wink:

The business has been doing fine this year - up over 16% - but margins are down... I wrote the 1st part of a letter discussing in very candid terms the issues we have faced... I wonder how any of you might reply if you were in my shoes - oh wait - you're not...

We have had our share of challenges like any company in this economy - and we have faced a fair bit more due to some bad decision making - but we are still here - slugging away and with sales that have really impressed the ownership of this business...

People will second guess - take their shots - and know that basically I will sit quiet - I'm STILL smiling even through a horrible few weeks with personal health - my wife's health - a break in - and then the server farm where our "stuff" is housed being attacked by an angry ex-employee...

LIFE GOES ON...

Still making music and enjoying myself more than anyone has any right...

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #162 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:21 am »

It's up for me...

:)

Working well to - and restored to the exact point per their promise...

Enjoy...

mls

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #163 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:24 am »

Same here.

mlschifter

« Reply #164 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:27 am »
Anyone who just read MLS' thread at Tweak City should come away with the same thoughts I just did. If he can't run AV123 right, how is he going to help Tweak City now. The man is full of promises. Maybe his partners at AV123 finally had enough of him. Stay tuned as..............The Soap Opera continues.

Should be fun to watch at least......the new promises anyway. And where's that second letter. It would be nice to see that second letter before he makes any new announcements. The train wreck continues.........

I would venture to say this...

av123 is run better than most - but certainly not as good as some...

Soup operas indeed... Danny was right about this thread... What about you - and what you have to say here... Contributing - Helping - Collecting...

Steve was an ass... and EVERYONE (not just me) saw it that way... You don't like it - I have a solution - vote with your money, or don't visit...

There are always people like you that will take a shot behind a keyboard... there have always been people like you too - I suspect that others feels the same way - but I wonder this... When guys are upset about delivery do you ever find us NOT delivering the goods - nope. And then again once the goods arrive are people happy with their purchases... THAT's the TRUE MEASURE... not some conjured BS because it's convenient or easy... Doesn't take much to hit someone when they are down ---- does it...

Over 98% of the people that buy from av123 are satisfied... over 98%... Did you see the poll where over 70% owned more than 10 of our products... Wonder why...

It's so easy to hate - so easy to be less helpful... so easy to be down...

Not us... not now... not ever...

Enjoy your holidays...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #165 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:28 am »

Same here.

There might be some cache issues and pointers to deal with... Re-set please... and then try...

Thanks...

mlschifter

« Reply #166 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:29 am »
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347

:o OMFG  :o 

This just has disaster written all over it..... (no offense) but MLS can't even keep the fires out at AV123 and now he's off to spread himself even thinner at TCA.....   :duh: it's as if a 10 yo with ADD is driving the train right off the track and everyone is cheering from the sidelines. 

For reference, I have watched this drama unfold from the monster AVS/Diva thread days (2002) thru today. I own about 10 pairs of AV123 speakers, two subs and a Perpetual Tech combo w/ SOCS. Other than the PT combo, I gave up on AV123 electronics way back around the EMO LMC-1 fiasco. This last move appears to be the final nail in the coffin IMO.  I kinda agree with a lot of the 'soap opera' comments here.  Some are actually spot on.

Good luck Mark, but you seriously need a 'handler' to reel you in to making some better decisions.

Thanks RM... your opinion is duly noted...

Check back after all 4 parts of the letter I have written have been posted...

Warmest regards - no matter your comments...

mls

BradJudy

« Reply #167 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:33 am »
There might be some cache issues and pointers to deal with... Re-set please... and then try...

Flushed cache and it still points to Threshold for the main site and a parallels temp page for the forum.  DNS changes must still be replicating through the servers.

wshuff

« Reply #168 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:33 am »
and then the server farm where our "stuff" is housed being attacked by an angry ex-employee...

Wha???  Is there any more to this story posted somewhere?  If you're saying what I think you're saying, sounds like somebody should be facing some legal consequences.

mlschifter

« Reply #169 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:37 am »
Satfrat, I admit I'm new here but most of the other posts about AV123 are negative too. Maybe even the folks who were followers are starting to see the light.

Maybe this "shutdown" at AV123 is their way of taking back the forum and their business. It wouldn't be the first time a business has shutdown temporarily to refocus, recharge, and develop a strategy for the future, i.e., less product offerings, catchup with production and rework issues. I understand the forum is starting from scratch too. And everyone knows the forum is the life blood of their business.

BTW... this is why I do what I do...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/nsm.htm

I understand and accept many of the concerns raised here - some really surprise me though (from guys that I thought really liked and appreciated what we do - guess I was wrong)...

I love what I'm doing - and if I were doing it so poorly I really have to wonder how it is we have grown the way we have and are seeing phenominal input for many of our newer productds...

LS-6's

ELT's (some incredible new reviews)

x-statik (don't get me started about how good a speaker this is... it's a WOW for me)...

Lots of good new stuff coming in too...

We are very open with our blunders and we let you guys know when we screwed the pooch... I wonder what some of you might say if you knew what other companies were REALLY going through... (not what they "put out")... We build for a LOT of companies - and I knew way too much - the good news is my "perspective" is in line...

Getting some FIRST CLASS help has been great for me... Really allows me to go off and do what I enjoy...

Thanks for letting me piggy-back this post...

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #170 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:38 am »
and then the server farm where our "stuff" is housed being attacked by an angry ex-employee...

Wha???  Is there any more to this story posted somewhere?  If you're saying what I think you're saying, sounds like somebody should be facing some legal consequences.

Mike is coming in on Monday to sit down and chat it all over... Mike is a GREAT GUY (besides being Sean's FIL)... We have talked several times and he feels terrible... Big Time errors were made... We will get it all settled between us two fellows...

Best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #171 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:40 am »

Flushed cache and it still points to Threshold for the main site and a parallels temp page for the forum.  DNS changes must still be replicating through the servers.

I don't know Brad... I'm staring at it via Mozilla right now... ????

I have had it up on Safari too a moment ago...

Not sure...

As everyone here knows by now... I ain't no expert - just a Turkey Eating Fool...

Enjoy your day...

Best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #172 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:42 am »
Did anyone notice how many views this thread has received...

Wow... I've learned a lot from all of this...

Best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #173 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:44 am »
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347

:o OMFG  :o 

This just has disaster written all over it..... (no offense) but MLS can't even keep the fires out at AV123 and now he's off to spread himself even thinner at TCA.....   :duh: it's as if a 10 yo with ADD is driving the train right off the track and everyone is cheering from the sidelines. 

For reference, I have watched this drama unfold from the monster AVS/Diva thread days (2002) thru today. I own about 10 pairs of AV123 speakers, two subs and a Perpetual Tech combo w/ SOCS. Other than the PT combo, I gave up on AV123 electronics way back around the EMO LMC-1 fiasco. This last move appears to be the final nail in the coffin IMO.  I kinda agree with a lot of the 'soap opera' comments here.  Some are actually spot on.

Good luck Mark, but you seriously need a 'handler' to reel you in to making some better decisions.

BTW... last I checked you were enjoying lots of nice gear from the same company and same guy... :)

He still loves you...

Enjoy your T Day...

Best...

mls

Big Red Machine

« Reply #174 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:45 am »

Yeah, whatever you said makes sense.  I think.   :scratch:I get the Threshold site as well.

BradJudy

« Reply #175 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:47 am »

Not sure...

As everyone here knows by now... I ain't no expert - just a Turkey Eating Fool...

Enjoy your day...

Best...

mls

I'll skip the technical jargon and just say that these changes are neither instantaneous, nor simultaneous, so it probably won't be until tomorrow that everyone can reach the new site regardless of flushing their local computer caches. 

The long version involves DNS authoritative servers, caching servers, TTLs (time to live), etc.  :)

ajayrav

« Reply #176 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:49 am »
OK, website is working for me!   :thumb:

mlschifter

« Reply #177 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:10 am »

Not sure...

Enjoy your day...

Best...

mls

I'll skip the technical jargon and just say that these changes are neither instantaneous, nor simultaneous, so it probably won't be until tomorrow that everyone can reach the new site regardless of flushing their local computer caches. 

The long version involves DNS authoritative servers, caching servers, TTLs (time to live), etc.  :)

Exactly...

I remember when we went to the new site - it took one extra day for me... I was bummed...

Hope your T Day will be fun in The South Brad... Cold here bubba...

:)

Best...

mls

620gold

« Reply #178 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:14 am »
I think that Steve guy had MLS and his business pegged before anyone else did. I think he (and others) finally woke MLS up to where he finally had to address things and change the way he did business. That's good for the company, even if they had to hit MLS over the head to get his attention.

The doctor is still out on this whole thing. Only time will tell if MLS "gets it." Vote with your dollars, but only if it's in stock, works, and you get a promised delivery date. Seems to me, everything the man has said here is just more of the same.

rmassey

« Reply #179 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:49 am »
last I checked you were enjoying lots of nice gear from the same company...

and I never indicated otherwise... and have no plans to post any classified ads anytime soon. 

Good luck to you and AV123 Mark.  I really hope to see things turn around in your favor.

PS - AV123.com  works on my browser.