Gallo ref 3.1's or a different one?

Alexdad54

Re: Gallo ref 3.1's or a different one?
« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:30 pm »
Update: Well I had a very nice chat with Jim Salk yesterday and unfortunately the only area SongTower owner  hasn't replied yet to a request for an audition. I'm going to take a chance anyway and purchase the pair of ST's that Jim has available (uncoloured as yet as the customer changesd their mind after initial construction and is going for HT-3's). Based on the reviews I've read everywhere, the 30-day satisfaction guarantee and my chat with Jim, I'm going to do the heretical thing and buy them unheard. The lowest price I could see on new Hawks was very close BUT no warranty....I also still remember the last time I heard them, great sound but couldn't handle higher volumes...also not very tube friendly.
Now that I've come to this point I'd like to ask for opinions re the right amp and wiring for the ST's. I already have an Audio Alchemy DLC for a pre (bought form another AC member) and would like ot go for a tube amp. Jim recommended the Jolida 202b or 302b integrated. I've looked at the various rebuilds of Dynaco ST-70's and a used TAD-60. Re the wiring I was thinking of AntiCables or Blue Jean speaker wires and IC's
Any thoughts?
cheers,
Dave

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Gallo ref 3.1's or a different one?
« Reply #41 on: 12 Aug 2009, 10:36 pm »
Dave...

I think you made a good choice...the ST's are very good speakers...and Jim is great to work with.
Good luck with your amp search....which can now be found on the Salk Circle...

Here.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70682.0