Gallo ref 3.1's or a different one?

Alexdad54

Re: Gallo ref 3.1's or a different one?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2009, 11:44 am »
Thanks Simon, actually the FJ OM's are a different company (made by Blumenhofer Acoustics)) and have an (expensive) lineup> Here's the link: http://www.blumenhofer-acoustics.com/Speakers.html
and here;s a 6moons review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/fj/om.html
Their US importers are Hudson Audio Imports: http://www.hudsonaudioimports.com/products_fj.htm.
Amazing sound!....

Crimson

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:14 pm »
FWIW, when building a second system a few years ago I short-listed the speakers to the Gallo Reference, Totem Forrest, and Vandersteen 3. This was coming from an active triamped system built around Magnepans 3.6. I ended up with the Gallos and am still amazed at this little speaker. Like others have mentioned, image height can be an issue.

Alexdad54

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:07 pm »
Triamped, wow! Can you tell me your opinions re the Gallo vs. the Totems and why you chose the Gallo's?
Also how do you deal with the height issue? I notice Mapleshade has (hideously expensive) stands available and Dave Pogue is currently selling his own version on Audiogon as he has moved to the Mapleshades.
thanks,
Dave

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:31 pm »
Alexdad54,
Are there any dealers around you that carry Dynaudio?

Crimson

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2009, 03:06 pm »
Triamped, wow! Can you tell me your opinions re the Gallo vs. the Totems and why you chose the Gallo's?
Also how do you deal with the height issue? I notice Mapleshade has (hideously expensive) stands available and Dave Pogue is currently selling his own version on Audiogon as he has moved to the Mapleshades.
thanks,
Dave

Gallo v Totem: I've never been a pure point-source kind of person (as evidenced by my 3.6s), but the Gallo's cylindrical tweeter swayed me (and the fact that their woofers go lower than the Totems). They have great dynamics and are wonderful at creating a finely layered sound field. Best of both worlds.

WRT image height, I don't stand up. :D Seriously, with the right tilt and positioning they're fine.

Alexdad54

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2009, 03:09 pm »
Hi Max190,
Yes there are two within a 100 mile radius. One is David Lewis Audio whom I visited recently. It's right in Philly and has been around for about 30-odd years. he was very nice and helpful but made it clear from the outset that while he can order anything, he only carries speakers in the $5000+ range in the store. He did have some amazing equipment, including a $10k CD player! Out of my range I'm afraid... :lol: The other store is a 90 minute drive from here.....
Is there a specific line or model that you might suggest I look at that compares to the Totem Hawk or Gallo 3.1?

Thanks Crimson, I will listen to them again. BTW, how did you tilt them and are you using the Gallo subwoofer amp?

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:11 pm »
Alexdad54,
What is your budget for these spkrs?
Are you considering used or maybe a demo pr at a dealer?

Alexdad54

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:16 pm »
I'm hoping to bring them home under $2k and I have no issues with either demo models or used. The only issue I have is age (not mine, although that's bad enough! :lol:  ), i.e. if the speaker is too old then there might be problesm requiring servicing, etc.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jul 2009, 03:59 am »
Dave...
By far the most amazing speaker I heard (out of my budget range though) were FJ Om's, small (3' high) omnidirectional speakers from Germany. Absolutely amazing soundstage and very musical.

Here's another that's similar.....Duevel Planets...... :wink:

As for the FJ OM....Tom from Hudson Audio has been to a few of the NY Rave meetings...nice guy....you might follow up with him..... :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jul 2009, 11:50 am »
I'll follow up with Tom, thanks. The Deuvels seem very interesting as well, I'll try and track down a dealer in the Philly area.....

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jul 2009, 07:10 pm »
Alexdas54,

I just saw this thread...if you liked the FJ Om's then I agree with Chris' recommendation on the Duevel Planets.  You could also look into these GR Research speakers -

There was a pair for sale here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69595.0, but the craigslist link seems to have expired.  Anyway, you can still contact the seller and ask him his opinion of them.  You can also contact emac, who just purchased a pair, or Danny Richie, of GR Research .

Good luck with you search efforts.

Lou

PS  I auditioned the Gallo's about 3-4 years ago and decided they were not my cup of tea.   Those providing positive testimonials just go to show YMMV.

KKM

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:06 pm »
Along the same line of speaker's having huge soundstage are these Mirages:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542120734/mirage-omni-550-ch

They are blowing them out at $300/pr delivered.

This deal was suppose to have expired so maybe if interested pull the trigger. I ordered a pair to play with, would be interesting to compare with my 3.1's. There's a thread on Audiogon and have gotten good comments.

Alexdad54

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2009, 02:12 pm »
Ok, now I'm getting more confused.. I just got back from vacation and thought it might clear my head but here we go again...:P I feel like a bumblebee going from flower to flower!
I can't find a Duevel dealer in the Philly area. The GR 0-3's look good but would they fit in a 14x21x8 room? The suggested 4 feet from the walls could be a problem as well. Is this placement issue the case with all omni's?
In another case of going from apples to oranges, I have also been researching  older cheaper alternatives, Dahlquist 20i's and Alon's as they seem to come highly regarded and are certainly WAF budget friendly....(confusing myself further in the process!) ....nowhere near to hear them though so it would be a shot in the dark, not the best option.....fast approaching brain lock-up.....

Alexdad54

« Reply #33 on: 3 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm »
Well, I think that I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a pair of Totem Hawk's. They're still the most musical of the bunch so far and with an added sub and the right amp should do me (at least for a while). What I would appreciate it any and all advice on an amp ( <$1000, used or new) and speaker cables and IC's that work well with the Hawks. I already have a preamp bought here on AC.
I know about the Krells, Plinius, Simaudio's, etc but they're frankly outside my budget. I like the tube sound but the Hawks are not that tube friendly (86db at 6 ohms) and they evidently need a good amount of low damping power. I've been considering TAD 125's (tube-like SS) but all suggestions are very welcome!

Rocket

« Reply #34 on: 3 Aug 2009, 10:53 pm »
Hi,

I don't mean to be 'shilling' for salk sound speakers but walk don't run and do yourself a favour and have a listen to a pair.  Jim's speakers a factory direct, built to look like fine furniture and the xover design is done buy a number of different speaker designers from with the US.

If you have a budget of $2000US you should consider the songtower speakers that use a transmission design to achieve 40db bass response.  Check out the review at enjoy the music:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0408/stalk_signature_songtower.htm

I know that it can be a little daunting to by factory direct but the bonus is that 40% of the speaker cost goes towards the components.  I live in australia and imported a pair of veracity ht2's and they are a very impressive speaker.  I've checked out the local offerings and no speaker that I have come across sounds in the same degree.

Of course if you have your mind set on the totem's go for it but if you have an opportunity to listen to a pair of salk's speakers you should give them a try.

Regards

Rod

hmen

« Reply #35 on: 3 Aug 2009, 11:48 pm »
I'm in complete agreement with Rocket. For 2K look you should look at the Salks. I think they're in a different league than the Totems.     

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #36 on: 4 Aug 2009, 12:19 am »
I'm in complete agreement with Rocket. For 2K look you should look at the Salks. I think they're in a different league than the Totems.   

Different is the right word since they obviously have different design goals.
If you meant "different" as in better, well that comes down to individual taste and some may prefer the Hawks.

Lin

Alexdad54

« Reply #37 on: 4 Aug 2009, 12:42 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up, I've been looking at the reviews, info, etc. since yesterday. Seem very intriguing especially as my musical tastes seem to be reflected in the various reviews. Can anyone tell me what "differences" there are between the Hawks and the SongTowers, in their opinion?
There don't seem to be any ST owners in the Philly area for an audition that I am aware of....

I liked the Hawks because they were great at the mid-range, fairly good bass and a very musical sound. They did "gasp" though when I cranked them up a bit on Marley's "Exodus"....They're also difficult to drive with inexpensive amps, particularly tube (as far as I can tell...).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 5 Aug 2009, 05:06 am »
Alex...
There don't seem to be any ST owners in the Philly area for an audition that I am aware of....

You might check with Jim Salk in his Salk Sound circle....I know of a pair in Staten Island, NY....must be a pair not too far from you Alex.... :wink:

Both the Totem's and Salk's are very nice speakers...as for spec's...here's some... :thumb:

Totem...

Salk...

As I mentioned....take you time...speakers are an important decision.... :thumb:

srb

« Reply #39 on: 5 Aug 2009, 05:53 am »
If you have a budget of $2000US you should consider the songtower speakers that use a transmission design to achieve 40db bass response.

40Hz bass frequency response?  40dB would be quite weak at any bass frequency.   ;)

Steve