Invite to September 1 BBQ and listen to SAS, BBBB & SWLP

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Invite to September 1 BBQ and listen to SAS, BBBB & SWLP
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2007, 03:06 am »
Howard,

You are welcome to come by but we won't be through much by 4 PM comparing different preamps.  It always takes a while for everyone to catch up, have a few brews and  to settle down for some serious listening.:lol: You are welcome to come (again) another day when you have more time.  I may also have to do a PS comparison.  The MK4 is doing something different (euphonic) from what I remember.  Rob, can you bring your MK2 if you have it with you?  SAS 11A is now running and it is subtley different from the SWL 9.0 SE.  We will have to do some keen listening. 

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2007, 03:46 am »
woodsyi,

If by euphonic, you mean loose, boomy and flaccid sounding, you are correct.

When I first tried out the changes to the circuit, I thought "Okay, that was a big step backwards"

After about 24-36 hours of constant use, things improved considerably.

Hang in there and keep the SB on repeat for a day or two. I think by the time your BBQ is ready, you will hear why I like the changes.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2007, 04:18 am »
Woodsyi/Rim...
  Question.....is your Modwright the stock SWL 9.0 SE....meaning no recent upgrades of power supply or caps (or new remote) that have recently come out ? Thanks... :thumb:

Chris

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2007, 04:27 am »
Woodsyi/Rim...
  Question.....is your Modwright the stock SWL 9.0 SE....meaning no recent upgrades of power supply or caps (or new remote) that have recently come out ? Thanks... :thumb:

Chris

Chris,

I don't have the new remote.  I did get the tube rectified (Mullard 5AR4) and teflon cap upgrade (actually Dan said he replaced the board). It's actually a SWLP and has Black Gates on PS and silver Bybees on the output. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2007, 04:29 am »
woodsyi,

If by euphonic, you mean loose, boomy and flaccid sounding, you are correct.

When I first tried out the changes to the circuit, I thought "Okay, that was a big step backwards"

After about 24-36 hours of constant use, things improved considerably.

Hang in there and keep the SB on repeat for a day or two. I think by the time your BBQ is ready, you will hear why I like the changes.

OK Wayne,

You had me worried there.  It will stay on till the BBQ.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2007, 04:51 am »
Woodsyi/Rim...

Chris

Chris,

I don't have the new remote.  I did get the tube rectified (Mullard 5AR4) and teflon cap upgrade (actually Dan said he replaced the board). It's actually a SWLP and has Black Gates on PS and silver Bybees on the output. 
Nice....thanks Rim...should be a good comparison....have fun !!! :beer:

HChi

« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2007, 09:46 pm »
Howard,

You are welcome to come by but we won't be through much by 4 PM comparing different preamps.  It always takes a while for everyone to catch up, have a few brews and  to settle down for some serious listening.:lol: You are welcome to come (again) another day when you have more time.  I may also have to do a PS comparison.  The MK4 is doing something different (euphonic) from what I remember.  Rob, can you bring your MK2 if you have it with you?  SAS 11A is now running and it is subtley different from the SWL 9.0 SE.  We will have to do some keen listening. 

Since 9.0SE also uses 5AR4 as rectifier, I can also pull my 50's Philips Miniwatt Metal Base off my pre and bring it over.  It may help increase the difference. :wink:  I may bring a friend over also.  With the limited time allowed, it would be fun to hear other excellent pre's. I am looking forward to it.

bunky

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2007, 12:14 am »
I know it's the Labor Day weekend but my turn with SAS Audiolabs 11A preamp falls on this time frame.  I could have received if after the NY RAVE but my work schedule isn't going to be good then.  So, anybody who forgot to book a wild end-of-summer Bacchanalia for the weekend is cordially invited a BBQ and listen to 3 preamps.  I will do my best to feed and water you until you feel no pain. :wink: Wayne at Bolder is going to get me his Bolder/Bent/Burson Buffer for the weekend as well.  Since I put a fully tubed crossover in the chain, I have been wanting to try a passive preamp with it and I am intrigued by the BBBB.  I had previously tried a stock Burson Buffer with the SB2 (courtesy of Wayne) and I liked it.  The third preamp is, of course, the Modwright SWLP 9.0 with tube PS that most of you have heard before.  I hope a few of you can make it on such a short notice. 

Ciao,

Hey Woodsyi, i plan on attending the BBQ with my daughter Courtney. should i bring my Candela tube Preamplifier to compare with the others ? its a very Good Preamp.thanks....WCW III

woodsyitemp

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2007, 01:50 am »
Hey Woodsyi, i plan on attending the BBQ with my daughter Courtney. should i bring my Candela tube Preamplifier to compare with the others ? its a very Good Preamp.thanks....WCW III

You and your daughter are quite welcome.  Bring your Candela  and let's see if we can work it in.  I am posting with this temporary ID as my account has gone bonkers for the moment.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:12 am »
Alright, I am back.

I got Wayne's BBBB control center and it's now connected and running.  There is a sense of quietness that is noticeable.  Wayne just replaced the transformers in the buffer so I am going to let my SB2/UPS MK4 keep running to break in this pairing.  To be fair, SAS is also running in another system to let everything settled down after Steve made the last repair.  It should be fun Saturday.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:08 pm »
rim, i would love to attend, but not sure of the logistics - sidonie had her hip replaced on the 21st & still needs some looking after.  if something gives, i will let you know.

best,

doug

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:56 pm »
rim, i would love to attend, but not sure of the logistics - sidonie had her hip replaced on the 21st & still needs some looking after.  if something gives, i will let you know.

best,

doug

Man,

Sid moved pretty good at Merle's. :scratch:  Give her our best wishes for a quick recovery.  Tell her I got some killer barley wines to ease her recovery if she wants to move around a bit.  Otherwise, have a great long weekend.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #32 on: 31 Aug 2007, 08:07 pm »

best,

doug

Man,

Sid moved pretty good at Merle's. :scratch:  Give her our best wishes for a quick recovery.  Tell her I got some killer barley wines to ease her recovery if she wants to move around a bit.  Otherwise, have a great long weekend.

yup, sid is strong, but this thing was a long time coming - she's been putting it off for quite a few years.  fortunately, she's making a decent recovery.   8)  but, it's still a serious thing...  if she's up for it, we'll be there.  anything you want me to bring, if i can make it?  creek obh-12 passive pre?  audio alchemy dlc digital pre?  z-man tube buffer?  proac tablette 8 ref sigs?   :green:

thanks for the kind thoughts,

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:33 pm »
hi rim,

sid is a trooper, & says she wants to go.   :wink:  so, if you want me to bring anything, lemme know.  but, i suspect you awreddy have a full plate.  also, do you know if stan is gonna be there?  if you could tell him to bring my heathkit aj1600 tuna, that would be nice...

best,

doug s.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 1 Sep 2007, 01:42 am »
Very good. 

I look forward to seeing you two.  I do think our plate is full but it will be fun and I will have "sedatives" ready for Sid. 

Robert57

« Reply #35 on: 1 Sep 2007, 02:07 pm »
Woodsyi, I'll bring my two Ultimate II's--one with bybees, one without. These were used for Wayne's system at RMAF last fall.  See you around 1-1:30 PM.

Rob

bunky

« Reply #36 on: 2 Sep 2007, 01:04 pm »
Hey Woodsyi,I would like to thank you and your wife for a wonderful time.the Marinated beef short ribs were nothing short of magnificent :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 2 Sep 2007, 03:20 pm »
Any thoughts on the gear you guys listened to?

George

Robert57

« Reply #38 on: 2 Sep 2007, 03:20 pm »
Woodsyi, many thanks for another fabulous gathering. Your marinated ribs and grilled dogs were amazing. It was a great opportunity to have such a revealing hearing of four top-flight preamps, any one of which I would be delighted to own:  your updated Modwright tube rectified SWL 9.0, Bunky's Odyssey Candela with NOS tubes, the touring SAS Audio 11A with stock tubes, and the prototype Bolder Burson Bent (BBB) control center. The source was my Bolder SB2 analog out, with all the latest mods and gold bybees, and using both the Bolder Ultimate II and the brand new Ultimate IV power supplies.

The BBB passive pre was the most transparent, cleanest sounding preamp, with a spooky clarity and unmatched detail, against a supremely black background. Compared to the tube pre's, notes played through the BBB pre seemed a bit less rounded, more stark, a bit flatter, with shorter decays, but not bright or harsh at all. The tube pre's were all excellent, each with a slightly different presentation, but all very musical and unfatiguing.

Most of us felt that any of the tube pre's would be the preferred route for a long listening session in this system. The SAS 11A pre was superb was for its neutrality, while still offering a more engaging, fleshy, and dimensional sound than the BBB (but unfortunately does not come with a remote control option, a deal- breaker for most of us). I had a hard time deciding which of the tube pre's I peferred--each had its charms and strengths. The Candela I thought sacrificed a small bit of detail but was very musical with great energy and PRaT, albeit a tad warmer and richer. It is also an amazing value for a fine sounding, full-featured tube pre.  In the end, the Modwright may have won the day by a nose over the SAS for the best overall presentation--neutral musicality, very good detail, and still very fleshy and vital sounding, especially with vocals, with surprisingly  strong bass. But with instrumental music (Ray Brown's jazz trio), I may have preferred the more agile, open sounding SAS. I must say, the black case of the BBB was the most handsome unit cosmetically, and had no warts sonically I could detect--it just seemed slightly starker and less fleshy by immediate comparison with the tubed units. It certainly gave the most revealing, transparent window into the music, and was very balanced across the full frequency range. In another system and room it may well be the best choice.

Again, Woodsyi, thanks for hosting this excellent gathering and for plying us with such fine food and drink. And your system sounded wonderful, as always. You are the consummate MC for these listening sessions.

Rob
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2007, 01:21 pm by Robert57 »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #39 on: 2 Sep 2007, 03:27 pm »
Nice post Rob.   :thumb:

Any comments on the different Power Supplies?

When you can, you need to hear the Statement version of the SB.

To my ears, it is a clear improvement (across the board) over the full blown analog mod version SB.

George