Invite to September 1 BBQ and listen to SAS, BBBB & SWLP

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I know it's the Labor Day weekend but my turn with SAS Audiolabs 11A preamp falls on this time frame.  I could have received if after the NY RAVE but my work schedule isn't going to be good then.  So, anybody who forgot to book a wild end-of-summer Bacchanalia for the weekend is cordially invited a BBQ and listen to 3 preamps.  I will do my best to feed and water you until you feel no pain. :wink: Wayne at Bolder is going to get me his Bolder/Bent/Burson Buffer for the weekend as well.  Since I put a fully tubed crossover in the chain, I have been wanting to try a passive preamp with it and I am intrigued by the BBBB.  I had previously tried a stock Burson Buffer with the SB2 (courtesy of Wayne) and I liked it.  The third preamp is, of course, the Modwright SWLP 9.0 with tube PS that most of you have heard before.  I hope a few of you can make it on such a short notice. 

Ciao,

Den

Re: Invite to September 1 BBQ and listen to SAS, BBBB & SWLP
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2007, 03:06 pm »
Party @ Woodsyi's!

Synesthesia:
Rimsky-Korsakov perceived colors associated with major keys as follows:
Tonic note   Color
C   white
D   yellow
E flat   dark bluish-grey
E   sparkling sapphire
F   green
G   rich gold
A   rosy colored

Jazz and Baroque

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2007, 08:43 pm »
I will be there.

Mike

bunky

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007, 12:10 am »
I know it's the Labor Day weekend but my turn with SAS Audiolabs 11A preamp falls on this time frame.  I could have received if after the NY RAVE but my work schedule isn't going to be good then.  So, anybody who forgot to book a wild end-of-summer Bacchanalia for the weekend is cordially invited a BBQ and listen to 3 preamps.  I will do my best to feed and water you until you feel no pain. :wink: Wayne at Bolder is going to get me his Bolder/Bent/Burson Buffer for the weekend as well.  Since I put a fully tubed crossover in the chain, I have been wanting to try a passive preamp with it and I am intrigued by the BBBB.  I had previously tried a stock Burson Buffer with the SB2 (courtesy of Wayne) and I liked it.  The third preamp is, of course, the Modwright SWLP 9.0 with tube PS that most of you have heard before.  I hope a few of you can make it on such a short notice. 

Ciao,

Hey Woodsyi,I am running the SAS 11A in my tube powered Rig now. i think the folks will really enjoy it.thanks....WCW III

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2007, 01:20 pm »
Hey Woodsyi,I am running the SAS 11A in my tube powered Rig now. i think the folks will really enjoy it.thanks....WCW III

Didn't you pick up a 10A recently?  How does 11A compare?

bunky

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2007, 07:56 pm »

Didn't you pick up a 10A recently?  How does 11A compare?
Hey Woodsyi, i bought my 10A from Maxwalrath and sent it to Steve Sammet @ SAS to have it upgraded to his newest specs, Steve changed some resistors and a capacitor and he also installed a IEC connector so i could use aftermarket powercords.the 10A is a very good Linestage.The 11A is even more refined and its the closest thing i have heard to a straight wire with gain.i think you will enjoy it.thanks....WCW III

Dave G

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:32 pm »
Woodsyi,

That sounds great -- I'd love to come.  That's a very nice lineup of preamps.

BTW, my son (you met him briefly last fall) will be a freshman at UVA this fall.  He reports for duty this coming Saturday.

Dave

PS  I sent you a PM

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:36 pm »
Very nice.  Congratulations.  Which dorm is he in?  I was in Page, an old dorm.

Be ware of cops around Culpepper.  Do not speed around there. 

Dave G

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:45 pm »
He's in Metcalf, which I think is right behind Page.  He'll be in the Engineering School, so the location is great.

Thanks for the warning about Culpeper's finest.  Are you speaking from experience?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:47 pm »
I am very interested to see what you guys think of the Control Center (aka the "BBBB).

It has been outstanding in my system, but I am not comparing it to an active preamp.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:54 pm »
He's in Metcalf, which I think is right behind Page.  He'll be in the Engineering School, so the location is great.

Thanks for the warning about Culpeper's finest.  Are you speaking from experience?

Absolutely,

If I count the tickets I got on 29 going back to 1980, I can probably buy a nice set of speakers with the fines.  :evil:  The most recent one was this past February.  :oops:  I was just down there for a reception 2 weeks ago and I saw a speed trap then too right around the State Trooper Barracks there in Culpepper. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:58 pm »
I am very interested to see what you guys think of the Control Center (aka the "BBBB).

It has been outstanding in my system, but I am not comparing it to an active preamp.

George

Will do George. 

Scottdazzle

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2007, 08:13 pm »
I plan to be there. I'm sure it will be a great time. I've got a question for MAAC members: what do you recommend for cleaning records? I'm in the market to buy one to replace the old Discwasher. Any advice will be welcome.

Scott

Jazz and Baroque

Record cleaning
« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2007, 02:21 pm »
Scott,

I bought one about a year ago.  I'll tell you about it when we get together on the 1st.

Mike

Jazz and Baroque

Time
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:36 pm »
:D I'm probably not going to arrive before 12:15, and maybe as late at 1.

Does this fit in with your schedule??

Mike

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2007, 01:27 pm »
Mike anytime after Noon is good.  I don't get back from golf until 11. 

SOS!   I need all the good ears I can get.  I have it confirmed that SAS 11A preamp is on the way after Steve repaired a faulty resistor.  Wayne also has sent out the BBBB control center after refitting the Burson buffer with the lastest transformer and raising the gain to 9db.  I already received the Wayne's latest Ultimate PS MK4 and it's being broken in. 

Robert57

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2007, 02:15 pm »
I plan to join in also, probably around 1 PM. This sounds like a great Bolder listening tour. Thanks for hosting, again, woodsyi!

Rob

Dave G

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2007, 03:47 pm »
I'll be there by 1 PM, perhaps sooner.  Can we help with some food or beverages?  I'll bring some beer regardless.

Dave

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2007, 07:31 pm »

Dave, you don't have to bring anything but you are welcome if you want to bring some brews to share.  I will have some snacks, brews, wine and BBQ for dinner.  I have been told that I can't get any more single malts until some bottles get emptied. So I need help there too.  Den, I got some gluten free stuff just for you.  Stan, I can pick you up after golf if you can't arrange for a ride -- I need your ears.  :bowdown:

HChi

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2007, 08:35 pm »
Hi Rim,
What time will audition start?  This Sat is kinda hectic for me. I would love to attend.  If I go, I will probably need to leave by 4pm. Too bad I am moving a pair of speakers and picking up two people later, otherwise I would haul my tube pre over for comparison.  Perhaps we can do that in the future instead.

Howard