Treatment for room with beam in the middle

ctviggen

« on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:15 pm »
I have a beam running through my room, perpendicular to my speakers (if my speakers weren't towed in, that is).  I can definitely treat the "front side" (ie, the side facing the speakers) of the beam, but do I treat the "back side" of the beam?  What about the far wall, that also faces the speakers?  Also, do I load up treatments on the beam (and the area between the beam and the speakers) and only partially treat the rear portion of the room, or do I treat all portions of the room equally?

Thanks!

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:35 pm »
This is a good question as I have a panneled beam running left to right crossing my knees as I sit in the listening position.  My ceiling is 6.9 feet.  The beam hangs below about 6".

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:45 pm »
Mine's about a foot down from the ceiling.

8thnerve

Re: Treatment for room with beam in the middle
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2004, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
I have a beam running through my room, perpendicular to my speakers (if my speakers weren't towed in, that is).  I can definitely treat the "front side" (ie, the side facing the speakers) of the beam, but do I treat the "back side" of the beam?  What about the far wall, that also faces the speakers?  Also, do I load up treatments on the beam (and the area between the beam and the speakers) and only partially treat the rear portion of the room, or do I treat all portions of the room equally?

Thanks!

Ideally, you want to treat both sides.  Especially if the beam is between your head and the speakers!  Otherwise, treat the side facing you and your speakers.