Butler's in the finals of the NCAAs!!!!!

Marbles

Butler's in the finals of the NCAAs!!!!!
« on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:01 am »
WOW!  I hope they play Duke in the finals Monday night, not because I like Duke, I don't, although I do respect coach K.  I want them to beat an iconic team in the finals and next to UCLA, Kentucky and Indiana, I can't think of another team besides Duke I would want them to defeat.

A mid major in the finals is just unreal, for them to be playing at home is just icing on the cake.

Go Bulldogs!!!! :thumb:

TomS

Re: Butler's in the finals of the NCAAs!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:31 am »
Way to go Butler!!

I was in Indy today to fly out to Sanibel for spring break.  As we drove by LucasOil there was Butler blue everywhere, as well as the airport.  Good luck in that final game whoever it is.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:41 am »
I had a feeling Butler was the real deal this year after showing up last year. But they'll need to shot a whole lot better in the next game regardless of who the other team will be.

I own 2 Butler Audio 3150 amps,,,,, and I'm amped up on Butler monday nite!  8)

Cheers,
Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:49 am »
I own 2 Butler Audio 3150 amps,,,,, and I'm amped up on Butler monday nite!

.... :lol: Two Butler's here....and a real live bulldog (woof,woof)...so....Go Butler !!! :beer:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:13 am »
Gave my butler the night off.

I've been rooting for the Butler underdogs all along but I must say that Duke looks like way too much for them. That 7'1" center is going to put the lid on Hayward and Coach K will be celebrating with 8-9 minutes left on Monday night.

Nonetheless, it's an amazing run for a school with only 4200 students and no big time recruiting allure. Duke's whole team is from N.J.

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:22 am »
My office is in Indianapolis and there are several Butler fans (and former students).  It's awesome to see a team from such a small school kick butt in the tourney.  Before every game I never feel confident about their chances but they always find a way to win (at least so far!).  I would love to see them go all the way, in their home town. 

It's a cliche but these guys are like a real-life version of Hoosiers!  Go Bulldogs!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:32 am »
Duke has only 6000 students

3       Seth Curry       G      6-1      175      So.      Charlotte, N.C.  (Charlotte Christian)
41      Jordan Davidson    G    6-1    180    Gr.    Melbourne, Ark.  (Blair Academy [N.J.])
20      Andre Dawkins    G    6-4    190    Fr.    Chesapeake, Va.  (Atlantic Shores Christian)
51      Steve Johnson    F    6-5    210    Jr.    Colorado Springs, Colo.  (Cheyenne Mountain)
34      Ryan Kelly    F    6-10    220    Fr.    Raleigh, N.C.  (Ravenscroft)
53      Casey Peters    G    6-4    185    Jr.    Red Bank, N.J.  (Red Bank Regional)
5      Mason Plumlee    F    6-10    230    Fr.    Warsaw, Ind.  (Christ School [N.C.])
21      Miles Plumlee    F    6-10    240    So.    Warsaw, Ind.  (Christ School [N.C.])
30      Jon Scheyer    G    6-5    190    Sr.    Northbrook, Ill.  (Glenbrook North)
12      Kyle Singler    F    6-8    230    Jr.    Medford, Ore.  (South Medford)
2      Nolan Smith    G    6-2    185    Jr.    Upper Marlboro, Md.  (Oak Hill Academy [Va.])
42      Lance Thomas    F    6-8    225    Sr.    Scotch Plains, N.J.  (St. Benedict's Prep)
52      Todd Zafirovski    F    6-8    240    Fr.    Lake Forest, Ill.  (Lake Forest Academy)
55      Brian Zoubek    C    7-1    260    Sr.    Haddonfield, N.J.  (Haddonfield Memorial)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:41 am »
O.K. They're not all from N.J. but you get my point. Duke has a coach whose been on the job since Butler's coach was in diapers and he has as much recruiting draw as anybody in the biz, enrollment notwithstanding. Butler, OTOH, probably gets a "WHO?, WHERE?" if they try recruiting players outside their county. Big mismatch in terms of resources.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect Butler to be shown up big time.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:07 am »
Well you wouldn't think Coach K has a recruiting draw from listening to the media this year, but you are right he has 30 years of experience. As Dick Vitale said, the "David and Goliath" theme will be all over Indianapolis. No question the mid-major Butler is an amazing team and should be respected like any "major".

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:19 am »

Interesting how things change with time. Watched many State HS Basketball finals in the Butler Fieldhouse some 45 years ago. At that time most of the residents of Indy didn't even know they had a basketball team, it was just a sleepy little Liberal Arts college. Back then it was strictly IU, Purdue, and occasionally Ball State. Obviously lil' old Butler has come of age. Good going Bulldogs, may Monday bring you an NCAA crown.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2010, 10:59 pm »
I think the championship was already fought when Duke took out the next best team left in Baylor (did anyone see how Baylor massacred St. Mary's?)...this finale is merely an encore for Duke.

Any team left among the final 4 could always win two games back to back....but, to my mind by overwhelming odds, I think Duke will bounce out Butler and in a big way.

Prediction: Duke 71 Butler 56

I have not a thing in the world against Butler...but, this Duke team has been getting better all thru the season and peaked just in time for the ACC Championship and now NCAA's.

Why do folks dislike Duke anyway?  It's a small enrollment, liberal arts college with true student-athletes....that happen to win championships because they have a Hall of Fame coach. 

Go hate some of the big state Universities and some others that play junior college transfers and decidedly less-than-college caliber athletes that never graduate after 4 years. 

Here's some info: http://www.fanblogs.com/texas/006616.php

More in depth by school: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/academics+and+athletes/education+and+research/academic+reform/gsr/2009/841gfw951_2009_d1_school_gsr_data.html

John

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2010, 11:34 pm »
I'm from Indiana so I'll give the kudos to Butler.   They never had much of a program when I was living in Indiana but it is a nice Cinderella story. 

Duke may be a small school but they have a rich storied Basketball program.   Looking at the roster it is hard to believe Butler has a chance but they have beaten some excellent basketball teams.   

I'll be a homer for the underdog and call it Butler.... 61-60

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:25 am »
Great game so far..1 point difference at the half.

Should be a great second half.

Go Dawgs!!!

pardales

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:31 am »
Great game so far..1 point difference at the half.

Should be a great second half.

Go Dawgs!!!

Ditto   :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:58 am »
wow - Zoubek has 4 fouls with tons of time left in the 2nd half...things are seriously looking up for Butler now.

Those Plumlee's can't clog the lane like Zoubek.

John

pardales

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:33 am »
Regardless of who wins here....what a game.....!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:34 am »
13.6 seconds left and Coach K has a dark stain in the seat of his pants. Uh Oh!!!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:37 am »
Now that was 1 hell of a ballgame!  :notworthy:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:40 am »
Man, if Butler could have had a few more drop in this might not have been that close.  They held Duke to 61 like they've been doin all season but couldn't get the ball to fall in. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:41 am »
Astonishing!  Can you believe how close that half-court Hail Mary came to going in?  As a Duke fan I'm glad it didn't but what a finish! :thumb: