Butler's in the finals of the NCAAs!!!!!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Butler's in the finals of the NCAAs!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:43 am »
Outstanding game.  Butler had some chances with some missed puppies down low earlier in the half. 

Congrats to both teams. 

Bryan

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:50 am »
One serious great effort from Butler....I am seriously impressed (despite the loss). 

Fabulous game :thumb:

John

Marbles

« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:53 am »
Well, if Butler had to lose to a team, I'm glad it was to a class act like Coach K and the Blue Devils.

Having said that, I wonder if the coach of Butler will get an offer he can't refuse.  He's big time good....

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2010, 04:07 am »
The whole time Butler was playing big against giants, I was reminded how my Butler Audio 3150 tube hybrid amps have played. Made me proud as all get out.  :dance:

Butler didn't lose that game, Duke won it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:40 am »

OT-

Well the lady UCONN Huskies might finally lose against Stanford.  12 points at halftime for UCONN. I don't follow the women's game but I might watch this one.  The 77 game winning streak might end tonight.

jackman

« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:52 am »
Well, if Butler had to lose to a team, I'm glad it was to a class act like Coach K and the Blue Devils.

Having said that, I wonder if the coach of Butler will get an offer he can't refuse.  He's big time good....

I agree.  DePaul should throw a bunch of money at that guy.  We need a winner in this town. 

Also, I've got no problem with Coach K.  He's a Chicago guy and runs a clean program.  This Duke squad wasn't as highly touted as some of the stacked Duke teams of the past but they played very well.  Butler was one of the best coached teams in the tourney IMO. It was a pleasure to watch them play and I was sorry to see them lose.  Best final game I've seen in a long time, maybe all time.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:44 am »
Duke gets a lot of hate simply by virtue of the perverse American tendency towards contrarianism- we simply like to see the "winner" fail.  When Coach K got there Duke wasn't in that different a spot than Butler.  Years of hard work and (from all we can see) good character built a formidable team.  Now people hate them for it.  There's no doubt that Duke played great team ball and really overachieved this season.  They and Butler were very similar.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:46 am »
OT-

Well the lady UCONN Huskies might finally lose against Stanford.  12 points at halftime for UCONN. I don't follow the women's game but I might watch this one.  The 77 game winning streak might end tonight.

Almost unbelievably the managed to come back!  Those ladies rock.  They could probably beat a lot of the NCAA men's teams...

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #28 on: 8 Apr 2010, 12:59 am »
Duke gets a lot of hate simply by virtue of the perverse American tendency towards contrarianism- we simply like to see the "winner" fail.  When Coach K got there Duke wasn't in that different a spot than Butler.  Years of hard work and (from all we can see) good character built a formidable team.  Now people hate them for it.  There's no doubt that Duke played great team ball and really overachieved this season.  They and Butler were very similar.

Yeah they get a lot of hate in NC with hundreds of thousands of UNC fans! Carolina cranks out 20,000 graduates per year and most end up within a few hours of Chapel Hill. It was said 50% of the country rooted for the underdog (Butler) and 50% hate Duke...

What do you think of Kyle Singler compared to Larry Bird? I don't remember that much from watching Bird, but is there a comparison?

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 8 Apr 2010, 01:25 am »
What do you think of Kyle Singler compared to Larry Bird? I don't remember that much from watching Bird, but is there a comparison?

I am not a Duke hater and must admit I was rooting for Butler.  Regarding Kyle Singler, he's a very solid player and played well in the NCAA's but dispite what the ESPN people are saying, is a long way from Larry Bird.  I watched Larry play in college and in the pro's and have never seen a smarter player with better fundementals.  Larry Bird was an absolute killer and one of the best to ever play the game at any level.  When Bird was on the floor, he was the smartest guy out there. 

Singler is a decent pro prospect.  I would take Gorgon Hayward any day over Kyle Singler and think Hayward will be a better pro (even though he's a bit skinny and smaller than Singler).  I hope Hayward stays at Butler at least one more year but he's going to be a good professional.  He's good but I wouldn't think to compare him to Bird either.  It's just not fair.  Bird was that good.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #30 on: 8 Apr 2010, 01:27 am »
Yeah they get a lot of hate in NC with hundreds of thousands of UNC fans! Carolina cranks out 20,000 graduates per year and most end up within a few hours of Chapel Hill. It was said 50% of the country rooted for the underdog (Butler) and 50% hate Duke...

Funny you should mention Larry Bird cuz with that last fadeaway shot hit the back iron, I was thinking to myself Larry bird would have drained net in that final moment.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #31 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:01 am »
He may not be as good as Bird was in college, but he sure has had his moments. He is also tough as nails - look at the body check he got on the last play of the game! And he can stick in the dagger...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQZkn-DNwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20rl6Yq0WM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZuG_ygtUg&NR=1

There was also a couple of ESPN videos that I could not find - I'll keep looking