Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music
« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2011, 08:03 pm »
This is what I would do if I really wanted to rock out. Buy up a bunch of Cerwin Vega box speakers and make a huge stack filling one wall of your room. You can series and parallel them to end up with an amp friendly load. Buy a huge wattage output pro amp. Somewhere around 500 to 1000 watts. You should be able to make the walls move in and out with this type setup. :D
:thumb:

Anand.

wagnju

« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2011, 08:04 pm »
This is what I would do if I really wanted to rock out. Buy up a bunch of Cerwin Vega box speakers and make a huge stack filling one wall of your room. You can series and parallel them to end up with an amp friendly load. Buy a huge wattage output pro amp. Somewhere around 500 to 1000 watts. You should be able to make the walls move in and out with this type setup. :D

Not bad if you have a man cave for yourself or are looking for a fast divorce from your wife  :icon_twisted:? But I still love my wife and have no man cave available  :nono:

srb

« Reply #22 on: 7 Apr 2011, 08:17 pm »
Inherent with large arrays of boxed speakers are cancellations and distortions but if the source is only Hard Rock, accurate acoustic instrument reproduction and tonality are not really a concern.

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2011, 09:46 pm »
Inherent with large arrays of boxed speakers are cancellations and distortions but if the source is only Hard Rock, accurate acoustic instrument reproduction and tonality are not really a concern.

Steve

Not true of all arrays.

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: 8 Apr 2011, 12:23 am »
I think that by the phrasing "large arrays of boxed speakers" Steve is referring to the concept of actually taking box speakers and stacking/arraying them, rather than to a single speaker designed using an array/line of drivers.

Interesting link to the CBT concept. I have some reading to do...!

srb

« Reply #25 on: 8 Apr 2011, 12:38 am »
I think that by the phrasing "large arrays of boxed speakers" Steve is referring to the concept of actually taking box speakers and stacking/arraying them, rather than to a single speaker designed using an array/line of drivers.

Yes, that is what I was referring to.  Without the crossovers providing baffle compensation for the now incredibly large composite baffle (and diffracting edges of the cabinets depending on the specific speaker used), it would be hard to imagine superb finessed results.

But what the hell, it's for hard rock - probably the mo' woofers the better and overall technical design considerations be damned.

Steve

Doublej

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:04 am »
Ooopps... my fault :duh:

Yes, that is what I was referring to.  Without the crossovers providing baffle compensation for the now incredibly large composite baffle (and diffracting edges of the cabinets depending on the specific speaker used), it would be hard to imagine superb finessed results.

But what the hell, it's for hard rock - probably the mo' woofers the better and overall technical design considerations be damned.

Steve

Stu Pitt

« Reply #28 on: 10 Apr 2011, 01:30 am »
Why is it every time someone asks about speakers for rock/metal, they always get told JBL, Klipsch, and/or Cerwin Vega?   I listen to a ton of metal, alternative, and rock.  I can tell you that they're crap recommendations.  The mindset is loud with thunderous bass, and no matter what you use, the music will sound like crap anyway.  Pure nonsense.  A great pair of speakers will sound great, regardless of what's playing.  A crap pair of speakers will sound like crap.

I've owned JBLs and have heard Klipsch and CV extensively.  They might wow the average big box person's ear, but anyone who really loves music and knows good sound won't own them for any length of time.

My system consists of a Bryston B60, Rega DAC, and Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelves.  Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, etc. sound fantastic in my home.  Like every other genre, rock/metal needs a system that's clean, clear, precise, and "fast" sounding in order to do it justice.

And I don't use a sub.  I could use a touch more bass presence in my new-ish room, but I value quality over quantity. I could easily live without a sub for a very long time.

If you've got a big room to fill where bigger speakers can breathe easily, look at the Revel Concerta towers (F12?).  At $1500 new, they're a great tower with plenty of bass presence.  Had I had a large room, they'd be very high on my list. 

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 10 Apr 2011, 01:42 am »
Put Legacy on your list to listen to

motorcitym3

« Reply #30 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:30 am »
I'll jump on the Klipsch band wagon for rock music.  I picked up a pair KLF-30's (102 db, 105 lbs each, 3 way, 4 horns and 4 12" woofers!) for cheap and had DeanG upgrade the cross-overs.   I paired them with a Modwright tube pre/Bryston 4b st amp  and have been extremely happy..,rockin out to Alice-n-chains MTV unplugged as I type!!!

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:43 am »

Hi all Audio Circle members.

I am not a heavy rock metal music lover, however,
some times I listen to that type of music,
which I dont really call real music,
but in my opinion, I think the GR Research V2
can make some rock fan happy, plenty of bass.
Guy 13

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #32 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:46 am »
 Wagnju : What did you feel the speakers you've been dissatisfied with were lacking ie: bottom end, etc. ?  Without knowing this, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything other than the kind of "shot in the dark" recommendations you've been getting so far. Cerwin Vega? Really..?

Stu Pitt has a point -a great set of speakers should sound great with a variety of material. My tastes are pretty eclectic and a speaker which only did certain things well wouldn't last long here. I also wonder why the folks who don't listen to and/or enjoy the type of music the OP specifically mentioned would feel compelled to post on this thread other than to voice their particular musical prejudices ( "...I don't really call real music... ", "... if the source is only Hard Rock, accurate acoustic instrument reproduction and tonality are not really a concern... " etc. ) and lack of understanding of these musical genres and what is required to present the OP's musical preferences to him in a way he'll enjoy. Why would you bother ?

D.D.

« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 12:37 am by Diamond Dog »

srb

« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:05 am »
I also wonder why the folks who don't listen to and/or enjoy the type of music the OP specifically mentioned would feel compelled to post on this thread other than to voice their particular musical prejudices

Although the greater percentage of my library is jazz, I do have an assortment of music, including some hard rock that I do enjoy.  I'm not stating a musical genre predjudice, only that I find that the heavily distorted electric instrumentation and high level compressed recording quality on many of them do not require or necessarily benefit from a speaker that provides the ultimate in tonality and instrument separation.

And when you listen to these groups in a live setting, what you are mostly hearing is large arrays of speakers that place volume and projection as a priority over accuracy.

Steve

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:10 am »
hmmmm......

Dont know if I would agree that a "great" set of speaks should do all types of music well.....perhaps a good set. There are so many types of "great" speaks that do different things better than the next that it only makes sense that different types will do different things better or worse than each other.
Check out the forum....Arrays...open baffle...ribbons...full range....and then there is the environment
they are used in.....this would have a big impact on what type of offering would sound best with a particular type of music. Its like saying a particular amp will do all things perfect for everybody....thats just not the case.

mclsound

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:18 am »
I think DIY a set for your music is the way to go.The only problem is you need ""GOOD"" drivers like ATC(mid),VOLT(woofers),Scanspeak(tweeters) and a good cabinet....$3000 will get you all your parts that will look like this

ratso

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2011, 02:22 pm »
i agree with stu. my salk's sound great with everything i can throw at them. i would never buy a pair of speakers that can only sound good playing "certain" types of music - that just means they are not very good speakers imo.

ebag4

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:17 pm »
Well, I lost the long winded response I had typed, but here is the short version. 

I primarily listen to rock, I built a pair of the GR Reseach V-1s and have never looked back.  It is an OB speaker so you have to be able to place the speakers at least 4' from the front wall.  If you have that space the V-1s (or Super Vs) will give you the best bass reproduction you have likely ever heard.  If you have never heard OB bass then you are in for a treat because the V-1 is OB bass done right.  OB bass loads the room differently than monopole bass, the result is incredibly articulate bass and in the case of the V-1, thunderous, rhythmic, authoritative are words that also come to mind.  The dual 12" woofers in the V-1 are servo units, each pair has their own servo amp.  The coax crosses around 200 Hz.  I have hi passed my coax amp at about 140 hz, at 97dB efficient you get incredibly dynamic sound and have the option to do it with very few watts!  I have yet to hear this speaker compress, they simply get louder as you turn up the volume.  They can do intimate as well and can convey emotion as well as any speaker I have heard.

The V series are DIY but would fall within your budget even if you had someone build the baffle for you (I believe).  If you can find a pair to demo I would highly recommend it, you will not regret it.

Here are a couple pics of mine:

Here is a link my build thread in case you are interested:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79985.0

Good luck with you search!
Ed

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:34 pm »
  Any speaker that has low distortion and plays high SPLs. Goes down to 20hz. good luck.

charles

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2011, 07:13 pm »
It occurs to me that:

We still haven't found out what sort of performance (sound) that the OP wants.

Most here are recommending their own speakers, yet few of us (I'm guessing here) have the same taste as the OP.